Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 26th July 2012, 19:45

Mood
Lonely

Default Blue screen of death/PC issues

I know this is not a PC forum, but I know there are people on here who will know what i'm on about and I want to vent.

As some will know I bought a new PC a few weeks ago. I think pretty much from the start I have been getting the BSOD once a day or so. After figuring out how to stop it rebooting so that I could get the error code I found that it is a 0x0000003B error, which apparently is a driver issue.

I also ran the diagnose tool in game booster and on the last few lines it was telling me earlier that
Quote:
The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \Device\HarddiskVolume2.
So I ran chkdsk and reloaded and almost instantly got the BSOD again. On the microsoft support forum I read a post saying to run sfc /scannow which I did.

It has gotten worse and worse as the afternoon has gone on. To the point where my browser wouldnt load and I have had to do 3 system restores to different points. The latest to 2 days ago. This is the second time I have written this post as by the time I went to press submit the first time my browser stopped working again. Hopefully it'll let me press submit this time. Anyone any idea what is going on? I've emailed the place I got it from, I can just imagine them telling me to pack it up and send it back, which I really really dont wanna do.

:scre ams:
Old 26th July 2012, 19:51

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: Blue scren of death/PC issues

isnt it up to the company to fix it? i presume you get a 12 month warranty at least

BSOD codes are meh, you could ages in the damn event viewer trying to figure it out and i bet you can find 6 different forums with 6 different answers! just seems easier/less hassle to troubleshoot?

if you have been told its a driver issue..and its saying theres an error on the drive...is it even throwing anything up after these errors? you could boot from the window disc and try the repair/fix tools on that, depends how important your stuff is..you could try wiping the drive and doing a fresh install of windows? that would remove any chance of being software and would leave you with some hardware troubleshooting...running memtest to check for ram errors etc..

but surely the company you bought it off would offer support?
Old 26th July 2012, 19:56

Mood
Lonely

Default Re: Blue scren of death/PC issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
isnt it up to the company to fix it? i presume you get a 12 month warranty at least

BSOD codes are meh, you could ages in the damn event viewer trying to figure it out and i bet you can find 6 different forums with 6 different answers! just seems easier/less hassle to troubleshoot?

if you have been told its a driver issue..and its saying theres an error on the drive...is it even throwing anything up after these errors? you could boot from the window disc and try the repair/fix tools on that, depends how important your stuff is..you could try wiping the drive and doing a fresh install of windows? that would remove any chance of being software and would leave you with some hardware troubleshooting...running memtest to check for ram errors etc..

but surely the company you bought it off would offer support?
Yea you get 3 years cover with the company, but it means packing it all up and sending it off which is a pain in the ass. I am only basing the idea that it is a driver issue on one post I saw on a tech forum when I typed the code into google. I have nothing on here besides my browser and steam games which I could download again anyway.

I just got the impression that the game booster error was telling me that the hard disk is corrupt.. i've no idea. I'm not even sure if they sent me the Windows disk, i'll have to go look. Just see what they say in reply to my email I suppose if it survives that long.
Old 26th July 2012, 20:07

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: Blue screen of death/PC issues

well it could be an essential driver within windows which has somehow got corrupted..that could be the problem

but yeah it could also mean the hard drive is corrupt, or a sector of the drive where a specific driver/part of windows is installed has gone tits up

you could try SeaTools, (tool made by seagate..but it works for all hard drives) that could be worth a shot to let it scan the disk..check for errors etc

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/ seems to be ere, i think i got it elsewhere but ive used it in the past no problems
Old 26th July 2012, 20:14

Mood
Lonely

Quote:
well it could be an essential driver within windows which has somehow got corrupted..that could be the problem

but yeah it could also mean the hard drive is corrupt, or a sector of the drive where a specific driver/part of windows is installed has gone tits up

you could try SeaTools, (tool made by seagate..but it works for all hard drives) that could be worth a shot to let it scan the disk..check for errors etc

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/ seems to be ere, i think i got it elsewhere but ive used it in the past no problems
Thanks Toxic. Cnet (where I normally download this kind of thing from) dont seem to impressed by it though, so i'm a bit scared to try it, i've had enough drama today, it's letting me post on here so thats good enough for me for now

Quote:
Hard disk maker Seagate's SeaTools for Windows scans your disk drives for driver corruption, broken master boot records, viruses and Trojans, spyware, and any hardware conflicts. You'll have to take its word that it's working, though, because it doesn't offer any scan details.
SeaTools' user interface is extremely stark: basic menu items line the top of a plain window, with detected drives are listed below. It detected our only drive, along with its serial number, model number, firmware revision, and drive and test status. We went through each test that the program offered, starting with the S.M.A.R.T. Check. The program quickly scanned our drive, and it passed the test, but that's all we know; SeaTools doesn't display scan results. The Short Drive Self Test had the same outcome. The Long Drive Self Test, however, never progressed past a certain point. We eventually had to abort the test, which caused the program to freeze and shut down. We later learned from the Help file that the test can take up to four hours and works in 10-percent increments. The Advanced Tests feature stern warnings that you can lose data or render your drive unusable should you proceed. That was enough for us--we left it untouched. The one place SeaTools displays useful scan data is the Drive Information feature, which offers a detailed report that can be saved to a file.
SeaTools for Windows is free. It installs desktop icons without asking, but it uninstalls cleanly. We recommend it for intermediate to advanced users

Read more: SeaTools for Windows - CNET Download.com http://download.cnet.com/SeaTools-fo...#ixzz21l1iGOzt
Old 26th July 2012, 20:57

Mood
Lonely

Something else thats started happening today. If my mobile phone is near my monitor when it rings/beeps etc. my monitor screen momentarily goes black. What the hell
Old 26th July 2012, 21:56

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubyse
Thanks Toxic. Cnet (where I normally download this kind of thing from) dont seem to impressed by it though, so i'm a bit scared to try it, i've had enough drama today, it's letting me post on here so thats good enough for me for now

Read more: SeaTools for Windows - CNET Download.com http://download.cnet.com/SeaTools-fo...#ixzz21l1iGOzt
interesting, my past experience of cnet are, not so good!..reviews of things are pants and they seem to disagree with most other sites. However that seems to be the windows one, i used the bootable dos version before, perhaps the windows one sucks but i cant say ive had any issue with it!
Old 26th July 2012, 21:58

Mood
Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
That hex figure is not a memory address by any chance is it?
No idea, where you going with this?

Quote:
interesting, my past experience of cnet are, not so good!..reviews of things are pants and they seem to disagree with most other sites. However that seems to be the windows one, i used the bootable dos version before, perhaps the windows one sucks but i cant say ive had any issue with it!
I'm sure it's fine, i'm just still coming down from a mild panic attack and cant cope with any more drama tonight

It's been fine the last couple of hours *dancing banana that isnt available on edit*
Old 26th July 2012, 22:03

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubyse
No idea, where you going with this?

I'm sure it's fine, i'm just still coming down from a mild panic attack and cant cope with any more drama tonight
hm well when i was IT support last year i burnt myself a copy of ultimate bootcd for my own uses, much quicker..bootable disc full of utilities/health checkers/scanners etc for each component maybe when youve finished hyperventilating you can try going through some of them? its usually made up of tools people recommend as being "good" or "useful" and seatools is on there..but yeah im sure people have their own preferences

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ some light reading for ya
Old 26th July 2012, 22:08

Mood
Lonely

Quote:
hm well when i was IT support last year i burnt myself a copy of ultimate bootcd for my own uses, much quicker..bootable disc full of utilities/health checkers/scanners etc for each component maybe when youve finished hyperventilating you can try going through some of them? its usually made up of tools people recommend as being "good" or "useful" and seatools is on there..but yeah im sure people have their own preferences

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ some light reading for ya
Slightly scary looking, but looks a good thing to have does that. I knew there was one thing I needed... blank CD's

Old 27th July 2012, 08:44

Mood
Alienated

So have you actually tried updating your drivers?

Mine was doing it because my graphics drivers were out of date with windows 7.

There is a free driver check on the intel website, but this doesn't cover every driver on your PC, and will only work if your moboard is intel. Do you have it wired in or wireless? Network drivers often cause this too. Anything extra that you keep reinstalling? I'd give the hard drive test a go, would rule it out if nothing else. Then you can try memtest, virus scans, as toxic says try booting from the windows disc if you have it, see if it can find anything to repair.

My Mum's kept blue screening whenever she was accessing files, she put it back to factory settings and it has been fine so far. This all after I'd updated everything and ran various scans.

Failing all that, you can get the minidump file thing (should tell you the location when you restart your PC after BSOD) and put it on various tech support forums, kind people should analyse it for you and be able to tell you where the problem is.