SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 17th November 2018, 19:02

Default Going to an open day for RAF

On Weds 28th November my mum is visiting me , and we are attending an open day for those interested in joining the RAF reserves.

Im thinking of doing this, as my confidence has increased , and I would like to try new challenges. Bit of a long shot but does anyone here have any experience of doing something like this? How did it go?
Old 18th November 2018, 08:13

Default Re: Going to an open day for RAF

I really don't know which role at the moment. I'm just going along to find out more. I think it would certainly be a worthwhile thing to do, and I feel as though my life is stagnating at the moment. I'm a professional person, in a career which I never really enjoyed.
Old 18th November 2018, 10:00

Good luck for the 28th.
Old 19th November 2018, 22:42

Mood
Bashful

I really would love to be in the Army but my mental illnesses preclude me for entry on the medical.
Old 20th November 2018, 13:12

Mood
Balanced

Sunset you are totally going to end up saying things like "the hard deck on this hop is ten thousand feet".

Old 1st December 2018, 17:30

Just wanted to report back about my afternoon at RAF Northolt.

I went with mum , and it was a very informative and enjoyable day! Everyone was really friendly and we chatted to people about their reasons for wanting to join the reserves etc.

I came away with a positive impression, and a feeling that it is something that I really want to do. I work in the NHS, so , I'm told this is compatible with being a reserve.

The commitment is 27 days a year.

I think the experience would be worthwhile, and may change me for the better. I do have some concerns....I would not want to be sent to another country, and to have to leave my boyfriend and mum, and I don't know how real, or remote that possibility is.
You also need to sign up for a minimum of 12 years.

They did mention you need Maths and English GCSE. I have English but not Maths, although I do have a degree!!
I need talk this through with them , because I have no intention of resitting a Maths GCSE

For now, I have decided to go to the next stage which involves an aptitude test. This will be some time in January.