SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th October 2014, 15:30

Mood
Tired

Default sertraline

Hi folks, I have been prescribed sertraline 50mg. Does anyone have experience of this? Is it any good? I'm new to meds as only recently had the guts to go to my gp. Is there any horrible side effects?
Old 6th October 2014, 16:58

Mood
Bored

Default Re: sertraline

Sertraline made me manic (not hypomania, full blown mania – I've never had it before or since so it was definitely from sertraline) and depersonalised (I still get that today, years after taking sertraline). SSRIs aren't as benign as most people think. Be careful.
Old 6th October 2014, 17:17

I hated it, it made me extremely agitated and anxious, I was nauseous, tearful and basically a gibbering wreck for the short period I took it for. There was no way I could have stuck with it to see if the side effects wore off.

Fluoxetine was the same, put me off anti depressants for life.
Old 6th October 2014, 20:59

Mood
Lurking

I have used Sertraline for a couple of years now and it has defiantly helped me with my depression, I use it in conjunction with Citalopram.
Old 6th October 2014, 21:46

They should use the Pringle's slogan when trying to push anti-depressants... 'once you pop you never stop'.
Old 6th October 2014, 22:16

Mood
Tired

Thanks everyone for the replies. Took the first one tonight so wait and see I guess. Hopefully it will work for me. I never wanted to start anti depressants but im at the stage now where I will do anything to improve things. Here's hoping.....
Old 6th October 2014, 22:35

Mood
Bashful

I have used it and I come from a medical field so can assess it personally and objectively. It does help with depression and anxiety quite a lot but it wears off long-term. The side effects are relatively minor and wear off over time as the body adjusts, the most common is insomnia, weird mental and physical feeling, and sweating. Probably the best benefit-cost antidepressant.
Old 6th October 2014, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stotch
They should use the Pringle's slogan when trying to push anti-depressants... 'once you pop you never stop'.
Which is pure nonsense of course.
Old 6th October 2014, 22:51

Mood
Bashful

People can become addicted to antidepressants.
Old 6th October 2014, 22:53

Never tried it, but I am on Citalopram.

There's lots of fatuous beliefs when it comes to anti-depressants, but I doubt I'd still be alive if I had never had them.

It isn't perfect now, and I still get depressed, but it's nothing like it used to be.
Old 6th October 2014, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishPeace
People can become addicted to antidepressants. I have used it and I come from a medical field.
What medical field do you come from?
Old 7th October 2014, 19:36

I have a friend of a friend who's long lost 3rd cousin, overheard a homeless guy telling random people in the highstreet the dangers of anti-depressants, he held a Bible in one hand and a banana in the other loudly 'encouraging' passers by to burn their prescriptions and join the gym behind him.

Below an old BBC article, if even the government run BBC is talking about the addictive properties of SSRis then something must be up. Also why do anti-depressants carry a black box warning, why are they telling me by taking this drug I may develop suicidal tendenices or my risk of suicide may increase, just read some of the side effects its disgusting their still being prescribed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ma/2321545.stm
Old 8th October 2014, 14:17

I've been on it for a few months, I did feel quite unwell on it to start off with but it settled down after about 3 weeks.

I'm on 50mg as well. I think it's helped me in some ways, but my anxiety doesn't feel overly better. The one thing it's really helped with is stopping me from manically obsessing about certain things, I used to get myself into a complete state and go round in an endless circle of though, that's calmed down a lot. I think it's slightly helped with my OCD as well.