SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 3rd September 2015, 12:01

Mood
Cynical

Default Wish I could use my creativity

Does anyone else have this problem? Let me explain.

I consider myself extremely creative. This may sound arrogant at first, but I don't intend it to be. There are entire worlds, images, creatures, ideas, themes, and systems inside my brain just waiting to burst out. However, they are trapped, because I don't know where I can use my creativity.

Unfortunately, I just can't find any creative jobs in my local area. Really. I live in Dartford, Kent, and no matter how hard I try, there's just nowhere that seems to want a creative person. Sure, some companies want creative-based jobs, but you need massive qualifications for these jobs and they usually require knowledge of complicated programs and the like. I have a university degree, but it just isn't good enough and I would never get me a creative job. I would love to be one of those people who simply pitches ideas to people, but again, you need specific qualifications and experience, otherwise you won't be taken seriously.

You might say that I could join an art website and post some artwork there, but that's another problem. I'm just not very good at art. When I was a kid, I loved to draw (I mentioned this in that thread I made about how I got my SA) but I haven't drawn much recently, and now my skills are kind of rusty. I could practice some more, and I want to, but I know that I'll never be able to compare with the immensely talented artists of today, so why should I bother? Most of DeviantArt's artwork sucks, but there's some terrifyingly unbelievable artwork on there, made by people who are beyond gifted. You need to be as good as them to get jobs in art, and I'll never be at that standard.

Another route I could go down in literature, and I've tried this a couple of times. But once again, there's a problem that's going to prevent me from making the most of it. In this day and age, the only real way to get people reading your literature is if:

A. the literature is fan-fiction based off a popular TV show, mainly cartoons and anime. Fan-fiction's popularity is absolutely massive today.
B. the literature is sexualised/fetish-based (often overlaps with A)
C. the literature panders to the mainstream and prominently features what's popular in culture today (for example, zombies, superheroes).
D. the literature has political themes, or is designed to be shocking and controversial

I have many ideas in my head that I could turn into stories that I could submit online, but I doubt anyone would read them. They might come off as weird or uninteresting, or too challenging for most people. Not that I want to write over-complicated, incomprehensible stories - they just might make people think "What the hell is this?" Also, I doubt my writing abilities. I think I'm okay, but once again, there are people out there who are much better than me, so I'm not sure if I should even bother.

Thus my only talent that I can truly continue to build is music (again, I mentioned this in my SA thread). I adore playing the keyboard and practice all the time. The problem is this: my genre is progressive rock (artistic, intricate music with unusual themes and lyrics), a very underground genre that is so underrated nowadays that it's virtually invisible. Even death metal, an extreme genre of music that horrifies most people, has millions more fans than fans of progressive rock. So even if I find a prog band to join in my local area (and I highly doubt there are any) I wouldn't be able to make a living off of it. I also can't read music, so that could be a problem, too.

So, what can I do? Where can I release my creativity? What can I turn my ideas into, and does anyone have the same problem?

(One last thing: I also consider myself an original person. I always try my best to create things in my mind that are different and new, and I love combining things together to create unusual, atmospheric constructions. This is why I doubt I'd be a popular author, because the vast majority of people today like things they already know about. A young adult fantasy series will sell millions, but a story about weird, forgotten or overlooked subjects won't.)
Old 3rd September 2015, 14:38

Default Re: Wish I could use my creativity

Well, you need to made a decision as to how to use your gift, and it is a gift which should be shared. With Youtube, Wattpad etc etc the world is your oyster to put your writing or music out into the public realm, and where you are not necessarily constrained by commercial drivers. You may not find a job doing it but it can still bring you joy.
Old 3rd September 2015, 15:07
Banned

Mood
Melancholy

Some talents just aren't conducive to monetising and it could be your talent is such. It could also be your negative outlook is preventing you from seeking opportunities that others are taking.
Old 3rd September 2015, 16:55
Banned

Have you considered writing and publishing an e-book? It's quicker, easier, cheaper and requires interpersonal contact with virtually no one. I believe 50 Shades started out like that and its success required virtually no talent or ability.
Old 3rd September 2015, 18:57

Mood
Cynical

I'm actually not sure what e-books are, but I'll look it up.

One thing I could be is a soundtrack artist. I enjoy music and I love getting creative with it, so maybe I could write soundtracks. Then again, I might need music qualifications, which I don't have.
Old 4th September 2015, 10:52

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordyceps
The thing about trying to predict what the public will buy is that there are so many awful, talentless musicians and artists making stacks of cash, and genius creators making nothing.
Yeah, this is sadly a problem. 99% of society just isn't ready for demanding and complex music. And I don't say this in a snobbish way. I like a few mainstream artists like Coldplay, Muse and Keane, and some classic rock bands like Led Zeppelin and The Who. Not everything has to be uber-complex.

But albums like IQ's The Road Of Bones or Pendragon's Men Who Climb Mountains are just too much for most people to take. I would love to make albums as creative as those. I hope to do so someday, and I won't stop practicing my keyboard playing and coming up with creative, otherworldly ideas.
Old 4th September 2015, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by umm
Well, you need to made a decision as to how to use your gift, and it is a gift which should be shared. With Youtube, Wattpad etc etc the world is your oyster to put your writing or music out into the public realm, and where you are not necessarily constrained by commercial drivers. You may not find a job doing it but it can still bring you joy.
I definitely agree with this, the internet is an amazing outlet for any creative person and while I can certainly relate to being put off by seeing how incredible other people's work out there can seem to be, you've just got to fight the doubting voices in your head and just go for it and submit/upload your work. Whether it be fan-fiction, art or music, there's a good chance someone out there will read/see/listen to it and like it. You may not reach the masses and make millions, but you can still find yourself a niche audience.

It does frustrate me when some of my favourite music artists are virtually unheard of because their music is too inaccessible, such talented musicians, yet they make peanuts compared to the big chart artists who can put out pretty much the same song out again and again and make millions. But I think it's best for anyone in the arts to not let the desire for popularity or money affect the quality of their work. Of course in an ideal world you'd want to make a living from your work and I imagine many artists go through this dilemma of whether they should adapt their work to what people want or stay true to themselves and work without worrying too much about popularity and money. But like umm says, even if you can't make a living from your creativity, it can still bring you joy. Good luck
Old 7th September 2015, 23:53

Reach for the stars but start off small! I work a dayjob then work just as hard and as much on my creative second 'job'. I do ok in a modest way but it has taken me years. I have very rarely made money. The best thing you can do is do what you do because you love it and make public readership/listenership your second goal. That's not because you're not good, or because you don't deserve it, but simply because it's hard work, and because it takes A. Lot. Of. Time. Even the greats - some of my heroes - went unknown for half a decade/a decade before they caught on. To get through that period, you need to find the thing you love and have fun creating. So long as your goal is to enjoy it, you will continue going. If you start to make your goal anything to do with the public (at all), you will become discouraged. Do get your stuff out there and take big risks and opportunities (look for competitions, courses, places to submit, live performances, you'll also need to network but you can build to that), and take in as much as you can of other people's stuff - it makes a lot of difference to your own art to understand the quality out there and to get some influences. It won't turn out derivative, it will actually add to your voice once you've seen enough of what you like to get your own wheels turning. But although you should put yourself out there, do keep the joy of it at the heart of it because it's easy to get discouraged with the sheer wealth of competition.

Good luck!