SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd September 2015, 23:18

Mood
Shoveit

Default Were you hit as a child?

I wasnt abused imo, or beaten for no reason though on occasion it definitely went too far.

it probably did, in fact i know it did make a difference considering how chronically shy i was anyway. But its how it was in my family.

Anyone else with similar experiences?
Old 22nd September 2015, 23:19

Default Re: Were you hit as a child?

Yes, with a belt. Also there was still corporal punishment at school.
Old 22nd September 2015, 23:28

Mood
Shoveit

^ with a belt? Christ. Thats terrible lee.

My old mans dad was like vlad the impaler from the stories ive heard and i often try to think of it as a bad lesson learnt very well. But still, i dont think id be able to live with doing something like this.

Its quite frequent even these days imo, sadly.
Old 22nd September 2015, 23:46

Cheers Joe. My dad had a violent temper when I was a kid. Was scared to death of him.
Old 22nd September 2015, 23:47

Mood
Sad

Yes I was slapped in the face, hit across the head, had ears boxed, slapped on the bottom and bamboo caned on bottom. This was considered normal punishment when I was a child.
Old 22nd September 2015, 23:56

Mood
Shoveit

Something that made me think about all this actually was an argument i had with my dad a few months back when he threatned to punch me and in so many words i told him what would happen if he did. Im not proud of it but he soon changed his mind and it made me realise that id been holding onto a lot of this crap.

Ive seen other kids pubically hit and ive had to restrain myself from saying something. Its just not right imo.
Old 23rd September 2015, 00:01

Mood
Dreaming

^ It's not right but it's difficult, as an outsider, to judge what's right for the child. Would most people who had been hit as a child prefer to have been put into the care system, rather than stayed with their family? I've witnessed kids being hit and it's really upsetting, but incredibly difficult to intervene, knowing the havoc that the social services wreak at the slightest sniff of something wrong. That could be ten times more damaging to the child.
Old 23rd September 2015, 00:09

Mood
Shoveit

^ yeah, i agree. As much as i imagine it would improve their lot. Its bs cause then theyd be faced with a whole set of new problems, as you rightly said.
All being said the thought of growing up removed from my family would have destroyed me tbh.

Its ****ing hard to let go though.
Old 23rd September 2015, 07:25
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Yeah, when I was small and up till about 8 I guess. I'd have red handprints for ages down my legs. My father would go into rages a lot

Later it'd be a case of locking yourself in the bathroom while he tried to hammer the door down with his fists, though as an older child he never hit me. Alcohol then got into the mix and well 24 hour chaos. The next day you'd think nothing had happened. Mostly by then it was verbal 'b***h' c**t' 'parasite'. I was trapped from leaving at 18/19/20 cause of isolation and anxiety and agoraphobic tendencies. I doubt anyone would have believed what was going on either, outside my dad was funny and generous (as he could be we us as well) and very far from the rough or lairy stereotype of a heavy drinker. Yet with alcohol he took bedroom doors of hinges in rages, smashed light fittings and once put his fist through the kitchen window. My mother when I was about 11/12 unfortunately went down the route of alcohol as well. So would be verbally abusive and at times, well, mad (as in crazy not angry). Not that she remembered much of it when she got better. She did stop though, thankfully, and was tee total. (funnily she was tee total till she met my dad). Without alcohol she was the opposite a soft, warm, quiet, polite woman.

We lived in lovely locations on country estates because of my dads job, mostly with no neighbours, yet behind closed doors at times it was sheer madness. Probably wouldn't have escalated as much if we'd lived on a street with folk.

He's not like that now, though still difficult at times. My recovery worker at MIND was like why the hell do you still have anything to do with him!? I didn't reply, she replied for me "because your alone" (in terms of family) and I suppose she's right. as f***ed up as it is. I'm not sure that I have equated it with abuse either until lately, which sounds mad as I write this but true never the less.
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:32

Not really. My mother was a bit handy with birch twigs but it was never an "issue". I also went to a school that was extremely gung-ho about corporal punishment, to the point where, for years, the mention of "tube and rail strikes" conjured up images of boys being thrashed with lengths of metal...
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:44

Yes. It was just me and my mum growing up and my mum wasnt short a few good hard blows. It was the full force ones to the head that made the room soon and everything go a bit numb. She would also resort to throwing things. The heaviest was one of those old fashioned roller skates. I was quick to get out the way and it broke my chest if drawers instead as it collided :/

I assumed this was normal growing up and that I was overreacting. Now that I am older I understand her frustration as I get it too. But I try not to hurt people with it when it gets out of hand.
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:55

Yes, violent alcoholic father. It doesn't really bother me any more though as it was such a long time ago, I don't even think about. I didn't get it too badly anyway, all things considered. Growing up with an alcoholic father is pretty much a normal part of being Scottish too.
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:37

Not much nor badly. I'm the youngest of 5 kids all of whom were raised pretty much single handed by my mum. I copped for it now and then but not as much as my elder siblings. Anytime i did receive a smack upside the head i was most likely deserving of it.
Old 23rd September 2015, 14:17

Mood
Cynical

I was smacked, but I wasn't hit.

I think it's so much better now that it's not acceptable to physically discipline children anymore.
Old 23rd September 2015, 16:13

Mood
Lonely

Yeah, but a lot of people have worse. There were a few times where it went too far. I used to wedge myself between the wall and my bedroom door so that my Dad couldn't get in. The emotional abuse was the most damaging though, still is.
Old 23rd September 2015, 16:26

No I wasn't, thankfully. They say abuse is passed down, but the chain was broken, fortunately.

I think parents who discipline their children with physical and/or emotional abuse are the most contemptible individuals in existence.
Old 23rd September 2015, 18:07

Smacked, not hit. My brother was kicked around a bit, though - nothing particularly bad except for when he was a toddler apparently my Dad would get very aggressive with him (my Mam told us, he was too young to remember). My Mam says she once hit me hard enough to leave a mark when I was about 2 (and I hadn't misbehaved, she was taking her frustration out), but that was a one-time thing because she felt so terrible about it. I'm fairly lucky with my parents. They weren't abusive, I think it was just the general environment of the home that affected me.
Old 23rd September 2015, 18:33

Mood
Bashful

Yes my mental and physical abuse was the partial cause of my social anxiety and alcoholism
Old 23rd September 2015, 19:23

Big difference between being "hit" and "smacked". I have no problem with my parents occasionally smacking me as a child. The few times it happened I certainly deserved it for being cheeky and I learned my lesson each time. I learned to fear the smack, not them and they never "lost control".

I ended up being a mostly well behaved child and I still love and respect my parents all these years later.
Old 23rd September 2015, 20:18

^ Same for me. I was smacked very very rarely, and probably deserved it.
Old 23rd September 2015, 20:40

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipling
Big difference between being "hit" and "smacked". I have no problem with my parents occasionally smacking me as a child. The few times it happened I certainly deserved it for being cheeky and I learned my lesson each time. I learned to fear the smack, not them and they never "lost control".

I ended up being a mostly well behaved child and I still love and respect my parents all these years later.
There is a difference between hitting and smacking, but i think the mentality is more or less the same?

As a child though you dont get a choice in the matter.
Old 23rd September 2015, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiple miggs
As a child though you dont get a choice in the matter.
In my case I simply obeyed my parents (most of the time) as I didn't want to be smacked. Instead I got rewards and love. I knew what the limits were and my parents were very fair - as long as I was well behaved.
Old 23rd September 2015, 22:38

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipling
In my case I simply obeyed my parents (most of the time) as I didn't want to be smacked. Instead I got rewards and love. I knew what the limits were and my parents were very fair - as long as I was well behaved.
As did i, most of the time. But its not quite so simple as behave all the time.
Old 23rd September 2015, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiple miggs
As did i, most of the time. But its not quite so simple as behave all the time.
No I know there are some parents who lash out at anything and even nothing at all - and that's the BIG difference between a light smack when you've been naughty and an abused child.

I guess I was just one of the luckier ones.
Old 24th September 2015, 00:28

Mood
Cynical

I was only given the occasional, quick smack on the bum from my mother if I was whinging as a child. It was only a light smack, but it always shut me up.
Old 27th September 2015, 13:14

Mood
Tired

yeah,.
I think it affected me quite a bit,
it just makes you scared of people, you tend to retreat into your own world, just to get away to somewhere safe,
you end up not trusting people and retreating inwards psychologically,
most of my brothers hit me, apart rom one, who had learning difficulties,
my Dad was the worst, incurring so much fear in me that even when I'd reached 18, I still cowered at times when I walked past him.

I did get a really bad shock introduction to all this violence when I was about 7 when I had my head smashed off a brick wall by my Dad,.
I changed after that, I think it affected my brain or something,.. I probably incurred some form of brain injury from it,.. my behaviour after that was really odd and very different from what had gone before.
violence sucks,. basically
Old 27th September 2015, 13:17

Slapped, don't think it harmed me though. Constant shouting might've done however.
Old 27th September 2015, 15:06

Mood
Confused

My dad has a temper. Only last month he strangled me. Had to wear a scarf to work for a week hoping no one would notice.
Old 27th September 2015, 16:03
Banned

Emotionally abused, bullied and rejected every single day. Possibly as a self-protection or -preservation mechanism, I have very few childhood memories. Those I do have are not good either. (That was pre-ECT, anyway.)
Old 29th September 2015, 22:40

Mood
Gloomy

Yes I was smacked, and threatened with being hit on several occasions for seemingly innocuous things. My dad had a very stressful job and took his anger out on me and my Mum. He had a very violent temper and would shout, swear, kick things and threaten to smash the house up! I was absolutely terrified of him as a child and still am now to an extent. Although he is retired and no longer in his hellish job, his temper seems to be a part of who he is, although I can't work out who he got it from when I look at his family. Often he can be gentle but at the same time no nonsense, a bit like a company director I suppose, but when something angers him he explodes. When I think of him, especially when he was working and bringing me up, he seems to have anger bubbling away ready to come to the surface. Scary!

Even though me being smacked and shouted at was mostly over 15 years ago, it still hurts and enrages me now and I wish I had stood up for myself more, even if I was a risking a visit to A&E. Time has not been a healer in this case