Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th November 2010, 22:59

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: What does CBT involve?

This is what I learned in cbt as well. The past is of little consequence but if you use the cbt tools you will be able to deal with anything moving forward and feel so much better
Old 26th December 2010, 20:14

Mood
Tired

I've been using this series of books by Melanie Fennell (available cheaply on Amazon). So far I've almost finished book one. What I like about it is the fact that you are encouraged to write a lot. Writing is very therapeutic in itself I think, because writing down a problem makes it a bit easier to objectify it. It also makes you think a lot too because many parts will ask you to describe your own experiences or will ask you how you would read a situation.

I am also going to fortnightly sessions so it is being explained to me and I can ask questions, however I think the book itself is easy enough to understand and practical too. Whichever method you choose, good luck
Old 24th January 2011, 03:49

Mood
Artistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo1
This is what I learned in cbt as well. The past is of little consequence but if you use the cbt tools you will be able to deal with anything moving forward and feel so much better
Very well said. I agree and that's been my experience thus far
Old 24th January 2011, 21:46

Mood
Shoveit

Im starting CBT soon. No expectations, havnt read much about it althought I know its a kinda take it home and practice thing, im happy to try it. Im not really reading too much about it as I just want to take what I can from it and not something ive seen before hand.

I was offered self help one but said no and asked for 1on1, as I dont see how I could teach myself with my bad concentration.
Old 25th January 2011, 00:13

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreyger
Im starting CBT soon. No expectations, havnt read much about it althought I know its a kinda take it home and practice thing, im happy to try it. Im not really reading too much about it as I just want to take what I can from it and not something ive seen before hand...
That's actually a really good attitude to take into therapy. No assumptions and preconceptions. I think it can be beneficial to take it as it comes, see it through, and see what happens. I hope your therapy is useful to you. Good luck with it.
Old 25th January 2011, 20:03

Mood
Devilish

I'm starting my first CBT session next week. Now as much as I'm looking forward to it I'm only having six sessions which I don't think will be nowhere near enough. I worry that just as I'm getting a bond with my therapist and maybe starting to challenge my thoughts It'll all be over and I'll be back to square one.
I'll probably have to go private or something.
Old 29th January 2011, 04:51

Mood
Artistic

Leggers,
Cbt success has more to do with the work you do on your own between sessions that the actual therapist. Most cbt therapists act as guides and help you learn how to help yourself so if you apply yourself during your six sessions you should be well on your way to helping yourself get better
Old 29th January 2011, 04:54

Mood
Artistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfica
That's actually a really good attitude to take into therapy. No assumptions and preconceptions. I think it can be beneficial to take it as it comes, see it through, and see what happens. I hope your therapy is useful to you. Good luck with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surreyger
Im starting CBT soon. No expectations, havnt read much about it althought I know its a kinda take it home and practice thing, im happy to try it. Im not really reading too much about it as I just want to take what I can from it and not something ive seen before hand.

I was offered self help one but said no and asked for 1on1, as I dont see how I could teach myself with my bad concentration.
I agree with Benfica, I think your attitude is great and perfect for getting the most out of your sessions. I hope you have great success
Old 29th January 2011, 13:14
Banned (at own request)

start mine in march after almost a years wait. i am really excited , plus my therapist is ace
Old 29th January 2011, 17:00

Mood
Devilish

Is CBT one on one?
Old 29th January 2011, 17:51
Banned (at own request)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie1
Is CBT one on one?
generally yes , but group sessions are possible
Old 29th January 2011, 17:56

Mood
Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl-32
generally yes , but group sessions are possible
Thank you
Old 4th February 2011, 05:39

Mood
Artistic

Kari- work hard in between sessions and you will do great!

Annie1- CBT comes in all forms, some do it one on one, some do it in groups and some do it on your own since you basically do the work yourself.
As i said to kari the key is the work you do on the exercises in between sessions
Old 18th February 2011, 22:50

what is a good book on CBT?
Old 21st February 2011, 23:00

Ah, thanks.
Old 17th March 2011, 03:18

Mood
Artistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bloggs-
what is a good book on CBT?
I would recommend "Been There, Done That? DO This! by Sam Obitz www.tao3.com it's short and inspiring.
The Burns book is good to but a bit overwhelming as an introductory cbt book imo.
Old 29th March 2011, 00:14

My CBT counsellor said "it sounds like you've never had a break from grief, there's always something happening".

I had to agree.
Old 29th March 2011, 04:22
Banned

Mood
Lonely

It involves trying to replace negative thoughts with positive ones but you have to get in touch with your inner voice and start to listen to what it is saying. Usually bad mouthing you like a no good trashy ho voice or the whole point of CBT would be kind of pointless so the inner voice must be a kind of nasty no good shithead for it to be feasible. Think of it like being an inner bully you must defeat at all costs or you will be you like be doomed forever to a life of negative thought. Only problem is it could be talking the truth and so what would be the point of replacing a truth with a positive affrimation if it the affirmation was an inner lie in your head ?

Take me for example I could well be screwed and beyond redemption so my inner voice is only telling me like how it is Lol.

My shrink told me I had an underlying positive attitude but I was like Erk come again ? It was ok though everything turned out well in the end at least that's what my underlying positive attitude keeps trying to tell me except i don't quite believe in it.
Old 16th April 2011, 02:33

Mood
Artistic

Excellent post Terance. Unfortunately understanding CBT and doing it are two different things. Now that I get it and counter my thoughts in the TEA forms everyday, the results have been tremendous for me. Not without some pain and difficulty initially but well worth it all now
Old 19th April 2011, 13:08

the reason i joined this site in the first place is because i started CBT. This is the first step of my 'exposure hierarchy' (sorry about the use of jargon, but cbt is full of it .) Started sessions at the end of last year - 1 on 1 - and, after years of being passed around from counsellor to therapist to psychiatrist, i think i've landed on something that might actually work.

6 months ago the thought of posting on a forum like this, even just to say hi, seemed impossible. Still find it scary, but in a manageable way.

The good thing about seeing a therapist for cbt is that you get an objective, outsider view of yourself, of all your thoughts and behaviours. I was so caught up inside my own head, i had no idea of how many weird little safety behaviours (there's that jargon again) i'd developed. I'd had them for so long that they'd become automatic, but now i'm more aware of them, i can hopefully work on replacing them with more helpful behaviours.
Old 23rd April 2011, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy
Hey that's insane, I didn't know you could do it yourself with success. I'm going to have to try it. Did you use any specific books or other resources to help you with it?
I found this video self help course, by this guy that overcame SA by using a combination of CBT with NLP(neuro linguistic programming). Not used it yet, but i'm giving it a go!
See here
Old 1st May 2011, 03:47

Mood
Artistic

Welcome Haze-elle and takohla.
I hope you both experience similar results to mine with cbt
Old 28th May 2011, 21:11

Mood
Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celine
Excellent post Terance. Unfortunately understanding CBT and doing it are two different things. Now that I get it and counter my thoughts in the TEA forms everyday, the results have been tremendous for me. Not without some pain and difficulty initially but well worth it all now
I completely agree! I would not be where I am without all the early struggles and looking back they really were a small price to pay for the way I am feeling now. I still use the TEA forms a few times a week for precautionary reasons but I am pretty certain they are ingrained in me now
Old 1st June 2011, 01:21

Mood
Insomnious

It's standard-practice for the counsellor to insert a camera up your lubricated anus in search of "anxiety fairies", right?
Old 1st June 2011, 01:31

Mood
Insomnious

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealt...ments/cbt.aspx
Old 1st June 2011, 01:34

Mood
Insomnious

Am I the only person here who has done CBT long term (in my case, 3 and half years)?
Old 1st June 2011, 01:35

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloWorld
It's standard-practice for the counsellor to insert a camera up your lubricated anus in search of "anxiety fairies", right?
*Checks BACP code of ethics*
Old 2nd June 2011, 00:05

Mood
Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminus
Am I the only person here who has done CBT long term (in my case, 3 and half years)?
I have been practicing CBT for years now, but have not had professional help with it other than when I first learned how to use the exercises.
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:22

My conseller is asking me to write down my moods and feelings. I can't do it.
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:51

Mood
Cheeky

If your counselor is a good one they will help you do this during sessions. It is difficult initially but once you get better at it you will be surprised how fast you progress.
Also I would suggest your focus on thoughts that cause the your moods and feelings as that is the secret to getting better. Otherwise you are only treating the surface or symptoms and not the cause of your anxieties