SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st August 2019, 16:43

Default Re: What lessons has life taught you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
^ It sounds like you've been through some very hard things. It's normal for some small children to be more fearful of strangers than others but if you weren't in a good situation anyway no wonder you weren't the most smiley of babies.
I agree...

Old 21st August 2019, 19:45

Mood
Cynical

^
Old 23rd August 2019, 16:07

If you don't have friends it doesn't mean that you are an awful person. There are lots of horrid people around who have lots of friends who are equally as horrid as them.

If people treat you badly it doesn't mean that you are a bad person and deserve to be treated that way. Their poor behaviour says far more about the type of person that they are than it does about you.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how much effort you put in you, you still don't get anything back. Don't waste your time on people who don't value you.
Old 23rd August 2019, 16:56

Mood
Cynical

^ Maybe in one way, but there are many people from wealthy families who are extremely damaged and who suffered abuse and neglect and who's parents were alcoholics and drug addicts. Just look at the amount of people who were sent to boarding school as children and all the horrors that came with that.
Old 23rd August 2019, 21:00

Mood
Starving

We came up dirt poor. My dad would go overseas for work, sometimes for weeks at a time and literally all we'd have to eat was what was left in the pantry. I remember one week in particular we wound up living on watered down powdered custard with lots of sugar added. Seemed great at first (anything sweet was a rare treat), but it quickly got old. Often sent off to school with no lunch and no money for the cafeteria, then getting bullied because of my rumbling stomach. Thankfully times have changed.
Old 24th August 2019, 13:14

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Have 0 New Messages
We came up dirt poor. My dad would go overseas for work, sometimes for weeks at a time and literally all we'd have to eat was what was left in the pantry. I remember one week in particular we wound up living on watered down powdered custard with lots of sugar added. Seemed great at first (anything sweet was a rare treat), but it quickly got old. Often sent off to school with no lunch and no money for the cafeteria, then getting bullied because of my rumbling stomach. Thankfully times have changed.
That is certainly where growing up with enough money makes a huge difference I'm sorry you went through that.
Old 24th August 2019, 14:09

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Have 0 New Messages
Plenty of kids these days going to school with rumbling tummies and no money for food, sadly.
Old 24th August 2019, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consolida
If you don't have friends it doesn't mean that you are an awful person. There are lots of horrid people around who have lots of friends who are equally as horrid as them.

If people treat you badly it doesn't mean that you are a bad person and deserve to be treated that way. Their poor behaviour says far more about the type of person that they are than it does about you.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how much effort you put in you, you still don't get anything back. Don't waste your time on people who don't value you.
Wise words.
Old 6th October 2019, 20:29

Old 7th October 2019, 16:50

Mood
Pensive

Bullies are excrutiatingly insecure.
Old 7th October 2019, 17:43

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consolida

Excellent post Consolida.
Old 13th October 2019, 19:18

Mood
Inspired

saying no to people is ok (I still try and please people but I am getting better at just refusing to put myself in anxiety provoking situations!)

oh and I've also learnt that my SA is less severe when I forget my glasses - it is great when I can't distinguish facial expressions very well! (not so great at helping me complete my tasks at work tho!)
Old 13th October 2019, 19:27

Mood
Creative

Lovely reading these posts.

Self-love is spending time doing what you love to do, not looking in the mirror and repeatedly saying ‘I love myself’.
Old 15th October 2019, 08:57
Banned at own request

You can't win, so don't try.
Old 15th October 2019, 10:56

Don't be too quick to judge people- you never know why they are like that. And people are just so different. In fact, some are like separate species and really can't be judged by the same standard. It's like yelling at a snail for not keeping up with a greyhound in a race.
Old 15th October 2019, 12:41

Don't.
Old 15th October 2019, 23:58

Mood
Inspired

To not be bitter. Accept that sometimes people have off days and that we are all preoccupied with our own issues to some extent - not everyone is going to be understanding all of the time. We are all humans struggling with our own issues. Try not to judge or write people off. Some of my closest friends were people I never understood for a long time. Sometimes it is the people you least expect that will come through for you in times of need. I am thankful to those people for sticking around.
Old 18th January 2020, 22:11

the ''power of now''
Old 18th January 2020, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie82
To not be bitter. Accept that sometimes people have off days and that we are all preoccupied with our own issues to some extent - not everyone is going to be understanding all of the time. We are all humans struggling with our own issues. Try not to judge or write people off. Some of my closest friends were people I never understood for a long time. Sometimes it is the people you least expect that will come through for you in times of need. I am thankful to those people for sticking around.
I think this is a good post. Thanks for sharing this, I feel similarly about people. I try not to judge and especially not to write people off.

''Some of my closest friends were people I never understood for a long time'' - I haven't really experienced this but I think I understand what you mean.
Old 24th March 2020, 21:20
Banned

money talks
don't always trust authority
some things you didn't think were important (and more complicated, sometimes things you didn't even know existed), sometimes are
can you verify it?
things that are inappropriate in one situation, can be appropriate in another
should be able to, doesn't necessarily mean should
Old 24th March 2020, 21:30

"When someone shows you who they are,believe them the first time" - Maya Angelou.

Everything passes,good and bad.

Life has no intrinsic meaning,only those we find for ourselves.

Sometimes the nicest people think they are the worst.

Anyone who feels the need to tell you they are funny/wacky/crazy/honest/trustworthy/'bring the party' and so on are always the opposite.

I know nothing and need far more lessons.
Old 24th March 2020, 21:42

That much of how our world is, is coloured by our perspective; a positive outlook doesn't solve all our problems or stop natural disasters, pandemics, climate change and wars (to name a few) but it can make a small change, not only to our view of the world but also to how others view us. It also makes the issues we face easier to handle.

Living in the past doesn't help us progress, living in the present and looking to the future is the way forward.

Being thankful for what we have is far better than lamenting what we lack.
Old 25th March 2020, 22:20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey123
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.
an opinion (from me)-(it's a bible quote, so a reply is going to be about religion)

religion is essentially all about feeling better about yourself. (or also, 'k me, to understand other people)

knowledge is power...and the more you can find out about "why" someone is behaving the way they do, the more power it gives you over the way you react to them. and the way you react to them...might be to steer as clear of them as possible.

or to give them a hint... that if they continue to ***k you off, you'll disclose information

or possibly it could be to have a conversation with them (it's a crazy world)
Old 27th March 2020, 21:38

Mood
Mellow

I've learnt that I have to take personal responsibility for healing my past wounds, plus stop playing the victim and holding on to anger.
Old 27th March 2020, 22:47

Mood
Shoveit

That things can always get worse and invariably will do enjoy today...cause tomorrow will be worse.

Think I’m getting the hang of this motivational speech writing
Old 28th March 2020, 00:14

Mood
Bashful

Everything is not as it seems. Some people will lead you on and then break your heart.
Old 28th March 2020, 10:02

That i was right it is logical having social anxiety and not wanting to be around humans. The socially anxious agoraphobics will survive this lockdown much easier than noisy outgoing extroverts.
Old 28th March 2020, 19:06

That I shouldn't have given so much credence to the negative opinions of certain people and lived my life in the way I wanted and bollox to anyone who didn't like that.
Old 28th March 2020, 21:03

@Consolida!

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - Maya Angelou

Nobody's perfect

Love is real

Love is the best thing and also the only thing capable of causing so much (emotional) pain it feels like it can destroy you

Love isn't always enough

Expect the unexpected

That my decision-making process is not to be trusted

The whole `keep calm and carry on` isn't always an option,but sometimes just the carrying-on part is enough,to whatever degree you can manage it

Sh*t happens
Old 28th March 2020, 21:05

Cliff Richards is crap.