SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th February 2014, 05:23
Banned at own request

Mood
Blah

Default wish I was slightly drunk all the time.

yes its a bad thing but had some beers at work today, nothing more than to make me a bit tipsy, but in return my confidence has increased 100 fold. It also seems to make people more comfortable around me.
In addition I "talk about things in a posh way" lol code for I say more intelligent things.
i lightly flirt with the girls at work and joke with the guys.

I cant afford to or have the desire to, do this every day.
just frustrates me a little that a mild toxin can bring about a new person in me
Old 12th February 2014, 12:58

Default Re: wish I was slightly drunk all the time.

It is frustrating, because it's amazing to find something that actually 'works', and allows you to be more comfortable, just for a little while, but at the same time you know alcohol really can't be the answer.

I limit myself to about a bottle of beer a month, because I know any more than that and I'd get dependent on it very quickly, it dissolves anxiety so quickly.
Old 12th February 2014, 22:23

Mood
Mellow

Yeh couldn't agree more I often say that i wish i could be in a permanent state of 2 pintedness! I'm the person I want to be at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSAguy
yes its a bad thing but had some beers at work today, nothing more than to make me a bit tipsy, but in return my confidence has increased 100 fold. It also seems to make people more comfortable around me.
In addition I "talk about things in a posh way" lol code for I say more intelligent things.
i lightly flirt with the girls at work and joke with the guys.

I cant afford to or have the desire to, do this every day.
just frustrates me a little that a mild toxin can bring about a new person in me
Old 13th February 2014, 01:45

Mood
Alienated

^ me too! well 2-4 pints
Old 13th February 2014, 06:14

Mood
Daring

I wish this too!
Old 18th February 2014, 01:35

Mood
Apelike

Completely agree. After a few pints, I feel a bit like how I imagine normal people feel all the time. I don't think the SA ever completely goes away though, even when I hammered.

I've got a job interview on Wednesday and I'm a bit tempted to have a few vodka and cokes first because I know I'll do sooooo much better. Problem is if they smell it.
Old 18th February 2014, 05:48
Banned at own request

Mood
Blah

not too bad mints dont work. you should try cough candy or aniseeed.
you could say you have a bit of s cold beforehand.
Just stick to one or two.

good luck!
Old 18th February 2014, 13:58

Mood
Apelike

Cheers ExSAguy and Pinkandpurple!

If I do have a drink I'll definitely get some cough candy or aniseed!
Old 18th February 2014, 17:14

Mood
Cool

You don't really want to be slightly drunk all the time. What you want is the confidence, self assurance and low inhibition that being slightly merry gives you.

What you should be wanting is the above but without the risk of alcohol dependency that "slightly drunk all the time" gives you.
Old 18th February 2014, 21:28

Mood
Alienated

I think its dangerous ground when you get tipsy just to get through things such as work. That's how people become alcoholics. I agree, alcohol can ease anxiety, but you need to be careful!

For me, alcohol doesn't seem to get rid of anxiety, even when absolutely hammered. I just become more annoying lol.
Old 22nd February 2014, 19:30

Mood
Apelike

I'm slightly drunk now and it feels good! The only problem is I desperately want to go out, but there's nobody to go with.
Old 24th February 2014, 18:02

Mood
Apelike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkandpurple
Did you end up going to a bar Grump or maybe your still there and that's why your not on here Hope you had a good evening whatever you ended up doing!
Yeah I did. It was OK, I ended up bumping into someone I know (who I only see when drunk) straight away, so I had someone to talk to. That'll be it for about a month now. Every time I get drunk, I tell myself the day after that I'm only going to get drunk in future when I'm with someone or I've got something planned with someone. It usually lasts about a month .
Old 24th February 2014, 18:34

Wouldn't it be good sometimes to "rent" a mate for a small drinking session! Someone you can have a beer with and talk daft with, without having to explain anything - someone who will put up with your SA and not judge you if you want to sit quietly having a drink and watching the world go by. It just occurred to me that this might sound a bit like the idea behind prostitution - oops x
Old 25th February 2014, 00:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal
You don't really want to be slightly drunk all the time. What you want is the confidence, self assurance and low inhibition that being slightly merry gives you.

What you should be wanting is the above but without the risk of alcohol dependency that "slightly drunk all the time" gives you.
Problem is that it is extraordinarily difficult for many people to not feel self conscious, self doubt themselves, over-thinking things, uptight etc..simply because of conditioning, environmental problems, stress outweighing feeling good, life in general. A persons natural personality dictates confidence and self esteem, again, sad yes, unfair, yes, but truth.

so this is why the state of relaxed feeling and less self conscious that a couple of pints gives people tends to make them far more in a healthy "normal" social state.

sad, but true. it gives people a few hours of feeling normal again.

In this society of pressure, stress, based on money, success, life is hard, its not just a natural existence where the mind can be normal and relaxed all the time. This is why people turn to drink and ways to recapture that nice feeling.
Old 25th February 2014, 17:55

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldFish
Problem is that it is extraordinarily difficult for many people to not feel self conscious, self doubt themselves, over-thinking things, uptight etc..simply because of conditioning, environmental problems, stress outweighing feeling good, life in general. A persons natural personality dictates confidence and self esteem, again, sad yes, unfair, yes, but truth.

so this is why the state of relaxed feeling and less self conscious that a couple of pints gives people tends to make them far more in a healthy "normal" social state.

sad, but true. it gives people a few hours of feeling normal again.

In this society of pressure, stress, based on money, success, life is hard, its not just a natural existence where the mind can be normal and relaxed all the time. This is why people turn to drink and ways to recapture that nice feeling.
Yes indeed, that's true.

BUT

Risking becoming dependant on alcohol to give you those temporary boosts of confidence and good feelings is really not a good idea, I'm sure you'll agree.

Of course I'm not disputing that it's difficult to attain those traits, Christ if it were easy SAUK wouldn't need to exist, but it can be done and isn't as far fetched as some seem to think.