Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th February 2014, 12:51

Mood
Creative

Default ATOS national demo today 19th Feb

Just a quick heads up, it's a national day of protest today, check the facebook page for any Demos in your area:

https://www.facebook.com/ATOSNationalDemo
Old 19th February 2014, 18:45

Mood
Cool

Default Re: ATOS national demo today 19th Feb

I would have gone to the Southampton demo if I knew about it in advance.
Old 19th February 2014, 22:17

Mood
Creative

It seemed to be badly advertised TBH.
Old 20th February 2014, 00:48

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***1103;emus
It seemed to be badly advertised TBH.
It was briefly mentioned in the Southern Daily Echo, then I just couldn't find anything online (via a Google search anyway).
Old 20th February 2014, 13:18

Mood
Creative

The ATOS staff left this message outside their office in Weston-suparmare.
Old 20th February 2014, 13:26

I knew nothing about this (not good, because I work for the press), it could have done with better publicity. That sign shows clear lack of understanding of illness on the part of those staff responsible (obviously they assume it's all about physical fitness) but also a seriously unprofessional attitude. These people are contracted to work on behalf of the Government, does the Government condone petty jibes like this?
Old 20th February 2014, 15:20

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***1103;emus
The ATOS staff left this message outside their office in Weston-suparmare.
Cretin, sums up ATOS's attitude nicely though.

I can think of a few counter placards already.
Old 20th February 2014, 19:11

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgana
I knew nothing about this (not good, because I work for the press), it could have done with better publicity. That sign shows clear lack of understanding of illness on the part of those staff responsible (obviously they assume it's all about physical fitness) but also a seriously unprofessional attitude. These people are contracted to work on behalf of the Government, does the Government condone petty jibes like this?
Hell yes, they do it themselves.
Old 20th February 2014, 23:02

This transcript of a Financial Times website article was posted on the Facebook protest page:

Quote:
Persistent death threats against staff who decide whether sick and disabled people are eligible for benefits have forced the private company employing them to seek an early exit from a £500m government contract.

With opposition Labour MPs also stepping up criticism, Atos Healthcare said the political environment had become untenable and that it was no longer fair to employees to leave them vulnerable to attack.
***8220;It is becoming incredibly difficult for our staff; it***8217;s pretty unpleasant,***8221; people close to the company said.

About 163 incidents of the public assaulting or abusing staff were recorded each month last year, Atos said.

At protests outside 45 Atos offices this week, names of individual doctors were chanted, while many of the 2,000 staff employed to carry out the work had received death threats both in person or on Facebook and Twitter, as well as bullying at the company***8217;s assessment centres.

Examples on Facebook include: ***8220;murdering scumbags...won***8217;t be smiling when we come to hang you bastards***8221;. Another says: ***8220;Know anyone who works for Atos? Kill them.***8221;

The French IT company has been in discussions with the Department for Work and Pensions with a view to exiting the deal since October last year, because it views the tests as ***8220;outdated***8221;.

***8220;In its current form it is not working for claimants, for DWP or for Atos Healthcare,***8221; Atos said. ***8220;For several months now we have been endeavouring to agree an early exit from the contract, which is due to expire in August 2015.***8221;

***8220;Despite these ongoing discussions, we will not walk away from a front-line service. Our total focus remains on delivering the services we are contracted to provide in a professional and compassionate way, until a new service begins.***8221;

Atos has become a lightning rod for discontent over the coalitions***8217;s welfare reforms, which aim to shift more people off social security benefits and into work.

For the past three years, the company has been under fire for its handling of work capability tests, which assess whether people are well enough to apply for jobs.

A third of its decisions were overturned on appeal, amid allegations that people with terminal cancer or other serious illnesses had been denied benefits as a result of its assessments.

Last July, the DWP told Atos to improve the quality of written reports provided to the department.

Atos said it had improved processes and that appeal court judges had said its reports were the reason for a successful appeal in fewer than 1 per cent of cases.

A National Audit Office report also warned there were ***8220;dangers***8221; in viewing high numbers of appeals as a measure of the quality of medical assessment work undertaken by Atos.

***8220;An appeal may be successful because the information available to the tribunal was not known at the time of the original assessment,***8221; the NAO said.

***8220;In addition, a decision made by the Department on benefit entitlement will draw on other sources of information as well as the medical assessment.***8221;

Atos has been the sole provider of work capability tests since 1998, when the then Labour government first handed the job to the private sector.

It won a competition under the last Labour administration to continue providing the assessments for five years from 2005, which was then extended until August 2014. The company earns revenues of £110m a year from the contract.

The DWP said it would not comment on specifics of commercially sensitive issues. ***8220;We announced [last] summer we will be bringing in additional provision to deliver Work Capability Assessments with the aim of increasing delivery capacity and reducing waiting times,***8221; it added.

Despite the furore, Atos was awarded a fresh deal last year to carry out tests for the new personal independence payment (Pip), with the aim of reducing the projected cost of the benefit by 20 per cent by 2015-16. It replaces the disability living allowance and determines whether people are entitled to extra money to help cope with disability ***8211; such as cars, equipment or nursing.

Atos***8217;s £400m Pip contracts over five years cover the southeast and north of the country, accounting for about 75 per cent of disability living allowance claimants. Capita, a rival outsourcing company, has the remainder.

Private providers likely to be in the frame for the next work capability contract include G4S, Serco, A4E and Capita.

According to an NAO report on the government***8217;s four biggest suppliers, Atos earned £700m in revenues from the public sector in the UK in 2012, of £7.2bn sales worldwide. The company made an average net profit margin of about 2 per cent over the past decade, rising to 3 per cent in 2012.
It says they're looking to get out of their contact before it expires in 2015, yet later on, it also states that they were awarded a 5 year contract for assessments RE: PIP payments last year, which means they're going to be around in some form until 2018, right?
Old 21st February 2014, 00:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal
Hell yes, they do it themselves.
Maybe, but a civil servant would have been disciplined for being unprofessional in public
Old 22nd February 2014, 01:28

Mood
Dramaqueen

Just read on the Daily Mail website that ATOS have now definitely pulled out of their contract with the Government to assess and oversee welfare reforms! Unable to post a link though as I'm on my phone. Wonder what on earth's going to happen now in an already shambolic process... There are so many people awaiting assessment or caught up in the Appeals process at the mo. I know of someone who has been waiting to be assessed for PIP since August 2013! They can't be a one-off either! Wonder how much longer they'll now have to wait
Old 22nd February 2014, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs I Love My Cats
Just read on the Daily Mail website that ATOS have now definitely pulled out of their contract with the Government to assess and oversee welfare reforms! Unable to post a link though as I'm on my phone. Wonder what on earth's going to happen now in an already shambolic process... There are so many people awaiting assessment or caught up in the Appeals process at the mo. I know of someone who has been waiting to be assessed for PIP since August 2013! They can't be a one-off either! Wonder how much longer they'll now have to wait
Wow, that's amazing. I'm waiting for an assessment myself. Wonder what'll happen now
Old 22nd February 2014, 21:19

Mood
Dramaqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot
Wow, that's amazing. I'm waiting for an assessment myself. Wonder what'll happen now
A member of SA Scotland said that ATOS will continue in that role until the government find a replacement. Tbh, I think that the task they have is a thankless one. The Government set the criteria and conditions and ATOS are the ones to enforce decisions which are unjustifiable and which they probably know are causing significant distress to vulnerable people. It's not a job I'd want. I'm not sticking up for them, but saying that I can see that they're in a no-win situation because the Government have made the bullets and ATOS are being made to fire them, regardless of how fair and just they are.

Can't see other firms queuing up to take over, but then if they have a psychopathic leader with no empathic ability, it'd be a good wee earner.

I know of someone who has been waiting for ATOS to assess them for PIP since August! Hopefully the next firm to take over will be a bit more punctual
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:27

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgana
Maybe, but a civil servant would have been disciplined for being unprofessional in public
In theory, in reality it depends on the managers and the general consensus of the organisation.
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:28

Mood
Cool

Quote:

Glad to hear it. A victory for human rights as far as I'm concerned. Now all we need is compensation for those wrongly passed fit for work and the public flogging of IDS.
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:29

Mood
Cool

Quote:
A member of SA Scotland said that ATOS will continue in that role until the government find a replacement. Tbh, I think that the task they have is a thankless one. The Government set the criteria and conditions and ATOS are the ones to enforce decisions which are unjustifiable and which they probably know are causing significant distress to vulnerable people. It's not a job I'd want. I'm not sticking up for them, but saying that I can see that they're in a no-win situation because the Government have made the bullets and ATOS are being made to fire them, regardless of how fair and just they are.

Can't see other firms queuing up to take over, but then if they have a psychopathic leader with no empathic ability, it'd be a good wee earner.

I know of someone who has been waiting for ATOS to assess them for PIP since August! Hopefully the next firm to take over will be a bit more punctual
I disagree, ATOS have demonstrated a lack of moral backbone in continuing to abide by the wishes of the DWP and should therefore quite rightly share in the blame.
Old 25th February 2014, 19:15

Looks like Atos's move to pull out of the ESA tests has led to a bit of a meltdown for the DWP.

It appears that claimants currently on ESA arnt going to be facing any more testing any time soon according to the report below,

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...s-axed-3180996

Reading between the lines this looks like a reprieve of many months for those who were about to be facing a "Fit For Work" test in the near future.

A rare piece of good news for the poor and sick of the UK.
Old 25th February 2014, 19:23

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by far north
Looks like Atos's move to pull out of the ESA tests has led to a bit of a meltdown for the DWP.

It appears that claimants currently on ESA arnt going to be facing any more testing any time soon according to the report below,

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...s-axed-3180996

Reading between the lines this looks like a reprieve of many months for those who were about to be facing a "Fit For Work" test in the near future.

A rare piece of good news for the poor and sick of the UK.
Glad to hear it. Sadly like ILMC I suspect IDS will find a company even more oppressive than ATOS.