SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th August 2019, 14:37
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Re: The Autism, Asperger's and ASD Thread

^ I could never get to a conference of any kind without someone accompanying me .
Old 8th August 2019, 16:25

Mood
Starving

I've been diagnosed with ASD not so long ago. Not really sure what's supposed to happen next, but I did get a letter saying I've been added to a waiting list for 'follow up intervention', it'll be interesting to see what comes of that.
Old 9th August 2019, 13:59

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey
^ I could never get to a conference of any kind without someone accompanying me .
It wasn't too easy for me too. Particularly since this one woman kept glancing at me.
Old 10th August 2019, 10:26
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

How do people know when to start up a conversation with someone? A relationship with another person depends on initially striking up a conversation with them, but for the life of me I have no idea how a person A sitting opposite person B on a train(using that as an example) would know whether to strike up a conversation with person B . Yet plenty of people seem to know instinctively how and when to do so.
Old 10th August 2019, 10:58

I think literally any time is the best time for that, if both people are the kind who don't mind or even enjoy talking to strangers. People having a positive reaction to it and a pleasant conversation afterwards is more to do with them generally enjoying doing that, rather than it being initiated at exactly the "right time".
Old 19th August 2019, 09:31
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

“Are you neurotypical?” How autistic people compensate to fit in

https://www.nationalelfservice.net/l...ate-to-fit-in/
Old 19th August 2019, 10:05
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Petition to cancel "Train your baby like a dog"

https://www.change.org/p/channel-4-c..._bandit_var=v1
Old 19th August 2019, 10:33

A better approach would be to actually watch it and then complain to OFCOM, who will take appropriate action if it breaches any rules. A petition the day before it airs won't change anything.
Old 24th August 2019, 14:06

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen.m.
A better approach would be to actually watch it and then complain to OFCOM, who will take appropriate action if it breaches any rules. A petition the day before it airs won't change anything.
Wise words
Old 25th August 2019, 07:51

Woman with autism, good read
https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon...eoples-3217394
Old 26th August 2019, 16:26
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Quote:
The fashion for celebrating ‘neurodiversity’ ignores those with debilitating severe autism, which has created a rift in the community

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...versity-severe
Old 27th August 2019, 15:29
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

'Green eggs and ham'. I took it literally . Couldn't work out how they got the eggs green !
Old 27th August 2019, 15:44

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey
There's an interesting point at the end of the article there that Asperger's syndrome should be reintroduced as a diagnosis, because it does help to differentiate somewhat between people who fit that category and people who are at the more severe end of the autistic spectrum.
Old 27th August 2019, 15:58
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I think the whole defining functioning primarily by IQ (In the USA) , and ICD 11 will probably have similar, is highly flawed.

I've been regarded as very intelligent by a good number of psychiatrists , but due to my lack of practical skills , I need quite a lot of help to maintain independent living . There's no developmental delay , but it's very probable I have a learning difficulty. I'm dxed with Asperger's , but in no way am I one of the highly gifted Aspie types.
Old 31st August 2019, 11:55
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I just finished reading an angry article in The Guardian that suggests the rise in autism diagnoses for bright, verbal people devalues and disregards the experience of nonverbal autistics who display aggressive and self-injurious behaviors and (according to the As an autistic advocate, autism consultant, writer and presenter, I am no stranger to hearing statements reminding me that autism understanding and acceptance are still a long way off. The uninformed masses often characterize those with the “Asperger’s-type” presentation of autism as lazy, arrogant, savant, weird and lacking empathy. On the other hand, autistics that cannot communicate with spoken language or control their bodies are described as dangerous, destructive, uneducable burdens with no redeeming features that live miserable lives.

Long story short, society’s attitude can be summarized like this: if you are considered “low functioning,” we couldn’t care less about your strengths. If you are considered “high functioning,” we couldn’t care less about your needs. This is [what’s wrong with functioning labels](https://themighty.com/2019/08/autism...n=in-text-link)!

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cont...1&guccounter=2
Old 5th September 2019, 13:57

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbs
I'm still waiting for my assessment, coming up to 8 months now.

I have a question for people who've been diagnosed. Once you'd had the diagnosis were you offered any support after, or were you then just left to get on with it? I'm hoping there is some kind of support on offer but this might just be wishful thinking of course!

What about charities, any recommendations? I see that there's an Autism Hampshire group near to where I live but what puts me off is I don't know if I can just turn up
I wasn't offered support per say but you have the option of registering with Hampshire Autism who are apparently very good. No one on one support though sadly.
Old 5th September 2019, 14:26
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I had a post diagnosis appointment where support needs and how best to get them were discussed . I was sent a letter detailing what had been discussed. I got an I.C.E (In case of emergency) card and a form to apply for an autism alert card , which came yesterday.
They are currently trying to get funding for a post diagnosis course
Old 17th September 2019, 09:17
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Describing how things are:
Quote:
I have a cleaner who comes in twice a week. My stepdaughter or one of my granddaughters comes to GP appointments etc with me . My stepdaughter takes me shopping and guides me round the aisles . I can use the washing machine , but need help to hang the washing on the clothes horse. My stepdaughter deals with any practical matters that may crop up . I'll bathe and shower most days , but sometimes my stepdaughter will point out that my t shirt or trousers need changing, my hair needs brushing etc.
If I wanted to go anywhere outside of the small area I know someone would have to come with me . I'm not good at taking oral meds(Kemadin and Omeprazole). My stepdaughter arranged for them to be put in weekly dosette boxes , even so I still forget to take them sometimes(though less frequently than before) .
Response on the wrong planet ASD forum :
Quote:
You look like you could be at or nearing the age when NTs would need the same level of support as you do.

I wonder if this is par for the course when it comes to being late middle aged and on the spectrum . Your difficulties reduced to a NT your age needing that support anyway.
Old 17th September 2019, 13:17

Mood
Cynical

^ Did you find that slightly rude, how old are they suggesting you are?! My parents are older than you and neither needs any practical support with things like cleaning, shopping or taking medications. Having said that I suppose it depends on a person's state of health.
Old 17th September 2019, 14:41
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I guess they're thinking I'm 65-70+ . I know I'm not the most photogenic person in the world but WTF.

My father turned 89 in June. He does quite a bit better than I do when It comes to day to day,practical stuff.
Old 17th September 2019, 14:55

Mood
Cynical

No, you don't look that old!

I definitely think there is a difference between the type of assistance that an autistic person might need (and should be entitled to) and the type of assistance that elderly people sometimes need. As you say there are plenty of people who need no help at all in old age, and maybe if your father is 89 and still going strong you will stay physically well for that long too.
Old 17th September 2019, 20:39
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Getting afraid of people discovering I'm socially awkward is pointless. It's so obvious that I am.
Old 20th September 2019, 03:04
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Autism umbrella chart

Quote:
Autism is an ‘Umbrella term’ used to describe a combination of characteristics (listed in the chart below). Autistic
people often have ‘spikey profiles’, so they might experience mild difficulties in some areas, but severe difficulties in all
of the others. This is why autism cannot accurately be described as being ‘mild, moderate or severe’ and it’s likely that
a unique autistic profile will include a combination of mild, moderate and severe difficulties.
https://www.chatterpack.net/
Old 27th September 2019, 08:09
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I'm prone to catastrophising. Until today I had never thought of it in relation to autism.
A post on another forum mentioned it as being an 'autism characteristic' .

https://network.autism.org.uk/knowle...atastrophising
Old 27th September 2019, 08:42
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Quote:
When Tim was 11-years-old he created his own superhero. Laser Beak Man now appears in colourful artworks showing Tim’s unique sense of humour connected to his literal understanding of language. And when Oakley was 5-years-old he drew a pirate, inspiring his mother to write a kids’ book to raise understanding about autism and difference.
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational...eroes/11546168
Old 27th September 2019, 11:57

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
I will try and make it to my local Autism group this week. I'm hoping that writing this down will increase the likelihood of it happening.
Good luck Tubbs
Old 1st October 2019, 18:56

Mood
Melancholy

Quote:
I'm still waiting for my assessment, coming up to 8 months now.

I have a question for people who've been diagnosed. Once you'd had the diagnosis were you offered any support after, or were you then just left to get on with it? I'm hoping there is some kind of support on offer but this might just be wishful thinking of course!

What about charities, any recommendations? I see that there's an Autism Hampshire group near to where I live but what puts me off is I don't know if I can just turn up
I was diagnosed five years ago and had the opportunity to attend an Autism group but it was in another town too far away, and as I can't use public transport I was unable to go. My mums friend is always chatting to people and apparently there is an Autism group at a community centre near where I live but I'm too anxious to go.
Old 3rd October 2019, 23:49
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Just done an aphantasia study via the Imagery lab at Sussex university . One of the questions asked at the end was whether one had Asperger's or autism.

I am not sure whether the link provided was exclusively for me or not. So I will not post it .

If you're interested . Contact Carla Dance.

If you have any questions about the research, please email Carla Dance (c.dance@sussex.ac.uk). We are very grateful for all participation in our research and hope that our work will further the understanding and knowledge about aphantasia.
Old 7th October 2019, 13:22
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

^ There are groups in nearby towns , but getting there by myself is a major problem due to my poor sense of direction and mild agoraphobia .
My depot nurse thinks my stepdaughter can take me once , and after that getting there by myself will be a doddle .

I could go by taxi, but would need a mobile phone . Having the mobility component for PIP would help. Got caught in a catch 22 situation with that . Tried an MR but was turned down on the grounds I don't go out much. I stick to a smaller area I know because of the agoraphobia and poor sense of direction . If I had the mobility I could pay my stepdaughter to take me to non essential places that might be of interest.
Old 7th October 2019, 13:54

Could your stepdaughter use Uber to arrange for you to get there? It's a bit cheaper than other taxi companies and she could keep an eye on you while you're in the taxi and then check that you've been dropped off.