SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th September 2019, 22:20

Mood
Bashful

Default I am now a PhD student!

On the off hand I applied for a PhD studentship in psychology/medicine (technically general practice medicine), I got an interview. I nearly backed out of the interview because of SA but I went anyway and they said they interviewed around 15 people but I got the studentship! I'm glad I went, I was literally so close to just going home on the bus and making an excuse of why I couldn't go.

My life is looking up now as a studentship means I get paid a wage basically and I can come off benefits, which I didn't mind being on but I've had a change of heart turning 30 and want to make something of my life.

My project is looking at dementia which my Mum died of. It is to see if we can improve/or if it is realistically possible to communicate with people with dementia to improve how they are rehabilitated once they have had surgery. I am not sure how it will pan out yet but I am supervised by a general practitioner (who went to cambridge lol), a health psychologist, and a statistician who are all extremely more clever than me so I think it will produce good results!
Old 11th September 2019, 22:33

Mood
Tired

Default Re: I am now a PhD student!

Congrats! I hope you do well.
Old 11th September 2019, 22:39

Mood
Bashful

Thanks mate.
Old 11th September 2019, 23:09

Congratulations, what an incredible achievement. Your future is certainly looking up. How long ago did you do your Psychology degree and masters?
Old 11th September 2019, 23:16

Congratulations!
Old 11th September 2019, 23:23

Mood
Breezy

Excellent, good for you.

What did you do your masters in?
Old 11th September 2019, 23:30

Congratulations!!
Old 11th September 2019, 23:49

Mood
Bashful

I have a msc (2017) in health psychology and an mphil psychology 2016
Old 12th September 2019, 00:03

Wow good for you, I might end up as a PhD student myself one day, although my degree is in computer science, I find AI quite interesting and feel there will be even more hype and investment with greater progress. A PhD is highly valued within the job market in this field, but I don't know if I want to do that to myself. There are so many areas I could apply myself, and I ideally want to do some good in the world.
Old 12th September 2019, 00:17

Well done BP! It's so nice to hear that things are going so well for you
Old 12th September 2019, 10:52

Congratulations! To be the one that was chosen out of 15 shows a lot of promise.
well done you
Old 12th September 2019, 12:11

Congrats to you, sir, and good luck! Your subject is a really worthy cause. My uncle is suffering from dementia, it is really destructive.

I had the option of doing a PhD after my MA but I declined. I couldn't at that time face a career in academia, and I felt done with studying at that point, so I admire you for doing so. Plus a PhD in Scandinavian linguistics would have been of little value outside of a university. I thought I was done with studying forever, but have long since learned that learning in life, including studies and courses, never ends!
Old 12th September 2019, 17:27

Mood
Bashful

Thanks I wouldnt do it if I wasnt funded tbf, it's too much money and effort. But considering I am perennially unemployed it was just worth taking the chance.i bought some shoes from the charity shop especially lol as I didn't have any for my interview.
Old 12th September 2019, 20:05
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Well done BP . I hope you do really well with your phd.
Old 13th September 2019, 07:16

Congratulations, BP! As others have said, this sounds like a very worthwhile and potentially highly rewarding area of research. All the best with it!
Old 13th September 2019, 07:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishPeace
Thanks I wouldnt do it if I wasnt funded tbf, it's too much money and effort.
Most of the PhD students I've met complain about having no money but are passionate about their research.
Old 14th September 2019, 14:30

That's an amazing achievement. Good luck with your studies!
Old 14th September 2019, 22:22

Mood
Bashful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicium
Most of the PhD students I've met complain about having no money but are passionate about their research.
£16000 a year is less than most jobs I guess, but is a lot to me.
Old 14th September 2019, 22:22

Mood
Bashful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwood_2
That's an amazing achievement. Good luck with your studies!
Thanks.
Old 15th September 2019, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishPeace
£16000 a year is better than most jobs I guess,
Um, no. But you are talking about PhD funding, so the two things are not really comparable.

Anyway, good luck.
Old 15th September 2019, 11:13

Mood
Pensive

Great news BritishPeace, good luck with it all.
Old 15th September 2019, 21:01

Congratulations, sounds good!
Old 28th September 2019, 00:41

Mood
Bashful

I just had word that one of my supervisors (I have 3 supervisors) alongside my PhD will train me to be a fully qualified psychologist and I need to make a detailed training plan with her. Psychology is a weird field a bit like law in that one of the ways of becoming one is having a qualified psychologist train you 'on the job' and to work out a plan and then send it to the governing council for psychology (the British Psychological Society). So I am made up as I think this will really change my life. They dont know I have social anxiety lol, but one of the training requirements (there are 4) is teaching students and health professionals, and another is delivering therapy to groups of people with physical health conditions (these could be the carers of people with dementia). The third is research which I am already doing. The fourth is consultancy which means being paid to do some psychology work in the community (I'm not sure on this one but I will learn in time). Also, there are different types of psychologists, the most well known are clinical psychologists and forensic psychologists (that you see on TV programmes). There are four more recognised types: occupational psychologists (deal with workplaces), educational psychologists (deal with schools e.g. dyslexia), sports psychologists (work with sports teams), neuropsychologists (work with brain injury and conditions), and health psychologists (deal with how psychological factors cause or influence physical illness e.g. chronic fatigue syndrome). I will be training as a health psychologist, these are like clinical psychologists, the difference being health psychologists study how physical disease are influenced by mental factors rather than focusing only on mental conditions. E.g. it is known that people with heart disease and have depression live less long than those without depression so a health psychologist aims to treat the depression in someone with a physical illness. Someone going to their gp with a pure mental illness e.g. OCD would be referred to a clinical psychologist, if they had ocd which aggravated their eczema they may see a clinical or health psychologist. Some psychologists are clinical health psychologists and some health clinical psychologists to add to the confusion.
Old 28th September 2019, 07:43

How did you cope with studying and having social anxiety, it's a massive achievement what you have done, I admire you.
Old 28th September 2019, 21:51

Mood
Bashful

British Peace, that's great news! Well done. You should be well chuffed with yourself!
Old 28th September 2019, 23:46

Mood
Bashful

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbs16
How did you cope with studying and having social anxiety, it's a massive achievement what you have done, I admire you.
I found it impossibly difficult, in my a-levels and first year uni was hardest. I hardly said a word in first year uni and didn't go to many lectures luckily you can just read books and go to the exams and what is in the books is more than what you learn in lectures. As I've progressed through my 20s my SA has gotten way less so that I can speak to people in class now, and obviously doing psychology I have learned some tricks to help me. My SA has gotten better as I've got older both through work I have put in and I think just maturing, many mental illnesses get better with time the technical name is spontaneous improvement lol. I am, I would say, 90% free of SA now, only in specific circumstances it comes up, I am still quiet but that's okay by me, I am a thinker rather than a talker. But I have put a lot of work in, and like I said gotten older.
Old 21st October 2019, 19:22

Does every research job involve public speaking? Are you going to work at a university? Because I'm currently studying master's in performance analysis of sport (dream career would be as a football analyst) and I'm just being curious whether every research job requires public speaking and/or to be a lecturer at a university.