SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th October 2013, 12:47

Default "Landmark" birthdays

It'll be my 21st birthday next month and I'm wondering what the hell I'm "supposed" to do for this. Most of my birthdays are like any other day in the calendar, in fact the last 2 have been awful for different reasons. Everybody talks like turning 21 is a big deal (don't have a clue why) so I feel pressured to do more than I normally would. For some reason my mum has talked about having a party or something and I'm thinking "Who is there to invite?!". Another suggestion was going to Amsterdam (what, on my own?).

If I'm honest, I'm not bothered what I do, but I feel like I'll be forced into something. "BUT YOU'LL BE 21! YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!" Wait, I know, I'll go out clubbing with my imaginary friends! Or reward myself by having an extra wank that day (21 ).
--------

Alright so this was a very negative post at the time. It was actually one of the best birthdays I've had, if not the best. I didn't do much in the end, just went to a restaurant with family but it was a good night. But what made it great was feeling appreciated by so many people throughout the day. I've never had so many people saying happy birthday to me and wanting me to enjoy my day. I also got some incredible presents. The day felt surreal.

Last edited by Tom Morello; 1st December 2013 at 09:21. Reason: .
Old 6th October 2013, 12:56

Mood
Melancholy

Default Re: "Landmark" birthdays

Twenty one! God, I feel old.
Can't remember what I did. But just feel happy in the knowledge, that when you're 40 and wondering what to do for that milestone birthday - the options will rely on whether there's a nearby toilet and if you can be home in time for Eastenders.

So, enjoy whatever you do on your 21st.
Old 6th October 2013, 13:22

Mood
Cynical

I think, do whatever you want to, it's your birthday!

Maybe you could go out for a meal with your family? Doesn't have to be on your actual birthday.
Or go for a drink with a friend. Um, or go and see a football match?
Old 6th October 2013, 20:40

Mood
Pensive

Haha, my 21st coming up too. I haven't done anything for my previous milestone birthdays and always feel I "should".
Old 6th October 2013, 20:49

Mood
Daring

i remeber my 21st and my 40th and my...... (yikes!!)
Old 6th October 2013, 21:22

I didn't do anything for my 21st, it was just another day. I got some cards as a token gesture and that was it. I've never cared about my birthday, and neither has anyone else.
Old 6th October 2013, 23:27

There's always people like that, but don't worry about them, you shouldn't have to feel forced to do anything on your 21st (and I agree, I don't know why 21sts are supposed to be so significant :s ), I didn't do anything special for it (though its always been difficult with my birthday being December 25th lol), nor my 18th either. Maybe do something you enjoy, like a hobby and treat yourself for the day.
Old 7th October 2013, 00:19

It's also my 21st birthday next month and I always have these exact same thoughts, I haven't had a party or any special event since I was about 11 though so it'll probably end up the same as every other birthday, which suits me fine.

All I have to say is, do what you want to do, it's your birthday.
Old 7th October 2013, 02:53

All I did for my 21st was go out for a meal with my family. Got home from that, rang up the two people I knew at that point, none of them were up for coming out. One said he'd come out on Friday but come Friday he was too busy playing Starcraft.

Better than my 18th though lol at least I went out for a meal on my 21st.

What you should do, to a certain extent, is up to you. 21st is sociologically considered to be an important day, and to be celebrated as such - from my experience explaining that you didn't do anything is incredibly awkward, especially as everyone else seems to have stories about how drunk they got etc. The other alternative, if this prospect doesn't bother you, and you are capable of doing it, is to do something - if you can show it's your 21st bars will often give you free drinks of stuff.
Old 7th October 2013, 04:00

I can't even remember what i did for mine, think i would have gone out with my family for a meal and maybe some drinks soon with a few of my friends :-) some investigating is needed lol
Old 7th October 2013, 08:40

Mood
Dreaming

I really don't remember what I did for my 21st birthday. I remember older people kept telling me that it was 'significant' and a big deal, but 21 just seemed like any other age to me. I certainly don't look back in regret at not doing something big for it. Very much doubt I'll do much for my 30th or any other landmark birthdays either.

Do whatever makes you happy. You can just have a meal/day out somewhere fun with family.
Old 9th October 2013, 00:46

I like Jinny's idea. Why not treat yourself to something? A day out doing something cool? Maybe take your mum if you want (or not?)

I had no money on my 21st. I didn't even have money to take the bus home from work, so I walked home in the rain and had to cobble dinner together out of various leftovers in the fridge. I thought I had failed at life already. I didn't know anything. Then the next day things looked up. My dad gave me some birthday money, my sister came up, she made chocolate cake, my friends and sister went out - to a gay club, for some reason - and we all got wankered. I honestly don't think I've done anything more adventurous than have dinner since. I don't think I've had a party since I was at school. I probably never will at this rate, and if I did I would hate it. Once your 21st is over, you won't be expected to have anything till your 30th.
Old 9th October 2013, 16:40

It's just annoying how my mum expects me to already know what I want to do like 6 weeks in advance. All this pressure I feel under because of a birthday is ridiculous. Just had an argument over it, and because I don't know what I want to do yet, I apparently don't want to celebrate it at all. Sigh.
Old 9th October 2013, 17:01

Mood
Alienated

I'm 40 odd and 'aint done nowt with my birthdays cause I've never had any proper friends and my birthday is on new years eve...hope you enjoy yourself whatever you do!!!
Old 11th October 2013, 15:45

I think I just went out for a meal with my parents and Brother on my 21st. My 30th I was in Germany with work, so didn't do much, though I told them I was 30 during the day and we had drinks on the night, and my 40th, I spent the day with my parents, Brother and his wife and went for a walk in the countryside. Nothing "big" for any of them. I've never liked parties, so they are fairly normal days for me.
Old 11th October 2013, 15:49

Mood
Curious

My 21st was sabotaged by a royal wedding. Every where was booked out and red, white and blue flags everywhere.

I agree with the others, it is your birthday so do what you want to do, but if you don't do anything you might regret it.
Old 11th October 2013, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba.
Or reward myself by having an extra wank that day (21 ).
haha! cheers man-i needed a laugh.brilliant!
Old 11th October 2013, 20:51

'SAMBA' have a think and write a list of things on here that you like to do or want to do
Old 12th October 2013, 09:28

Mood
Bored

I can't remember what I did on my 21st – normally that would mean it's a good one, but in my case it's because it was ****ing boring. Same goes for my 18th.

The only ‘landmark’ birthdays I've got ahead of me now are increasingly depressing reminders of oldness.
Old 12th October 2013, 09:35

Like others here, my 18th and 21st were both "meals with parents" occasions. I think for most people who say you should "do something" for big birthdays, they mean getting drunk - if that's not your thing, don't worry about it.
Old 12th October 2013, 09:56

Quote:
It'll be my 21st birthday next month and I'm wondering what the hell I'm "supposed" to do for this. Most of my birthdays are like any other day in the calendar, in fact the last 2 have been awful for different reasons. Everybody talks like turning 21 is a big deal (don't have a clue why) so I feel pressured to do more than I normally would. For some reason my mum has talked about having a party or something and I'm thinking "Who is there to invite?!". Another suggestion was going to Amsterdam (what, on my own?).

If I'm honest, I'm not bothered what I do, but I feel like I'll be forced into something. "BUT YOU'LL BE 21! YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!" Wait, I know, I'll go out clubbing with my imaginary friends! Or reward myself by having an extra wank that day (21 ).

The important thing is to do what YOU want to do. Never mind what anybody else thinks.

I didn't do anything special for my 21st.
Old 12th October 2013, 09:58

my 21st consisted of waking up at 10pm, seeing my mum for 5 minutes and watching Freddys nightmares on cable, it was craps.
Old 30th November 2013, 22:59

This thread is/was a complete joke. Delete admins/mods.
Old 1st December 2013, 00:07

What's wrong with your post?
Old 1st December 2013, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2013
What's wrong with your post?
My birthday has just past and it was ridiculously good. It made a mockery of all this moaning I was doing.
Old 1st December 2013, 09:01

Edit the original post to say it turned out well in the end. It can be one of those "sometimes our fears are unfounded" kind of feel-good posts.
Old 1st December 2013, 11:52

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: Re: "Landmark" birthdays

Quote:
Alright so this was a very negative post at the time. It was actually one of the best birthdays I've had, if not the best. I didn't do much in the end, just went to a restaurant with family but it was a good night. But what made it great was feeling appreciated by so many people throughout the day. I've never had so many people saying happy birthday to me and wanting me to enjoy my day. I also got some incredible presents. The day felt surreal.
That's great! Glad it went so well I think this thread is a good example of how SA can make us think and presume the worst outcomes, but often things can actually work out well if we give them a chance.
Old 1st December 2013, 12:10

Mood
Balanced

It's been 9 years since my last landmark birthday I don't even wanna think about my next one.