As much as I can 16 24.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 12th August 2008, 15:39

Mood
Pensive

Default Olympics

Who is watching the Olympics?

I've been watching a bit even though I'm not normally into sport. I also watched quite a bit of the opening ceremony.
Old 12th August 2008, 15:45

Default Re: Olympics

NOT

AT

ALL

Old 12th August 2008, 15:55

Mood
Bookworm

It's a big yawn.

Chris.
Old 12th August 2008, 15:55
Mama Shaz

I have watched loads, I'm enjoying it

I didn't watch the opening tho find that boring.
Old 12th August 2008, 15:58

Mood
Blah

Im watching the swimming and quite like the sailing and rowing which are on while Im either in bed or at work typically. Still whatever sport we have a chance to win a medal Ill tune into.
Old 12th August 2008, 16:08

Mood
Blah

As much as i can. I just love the month when the Football World Cup or Olympics are on. Its great! Especially as alot of the action happens in the middle of the night where usually id be pretty bored now i have something to watch. Its just a shame these things only happen every 4 years.
Old 12th August 2008, 17:15

Mood
Mondayblues

I'm hooked. I normally don't like sport, but at the moment I can't get enough of the Olympics. I think it's my way of avoiding thinking about everything else that I should be concentrating on. That badminton match today was amazing, I was on tenderhooks the whole time. I loved the Opening Cermony too. How good looking is Michael Phellps?!!! I especially like the diving, archery and gymnastics. I was so lucky that I had the telly on when we won our first gold, that was an amazing moment. I love hearing the anthem!
Old 12th August 2008, 17:19

Mood
Dramaqueen

Yeah, Im watching quite alot, love the Olympics!
Old 12th August 2008, 17:22

Mood
Musical

On and off.....
Old 12th August 2008, 19:32

So far watched the opening ceremony, magnificient and some of the outdoor sports. Particularly like these as you get to see the host country with usually great camera work.

The womens cycling was great, South Wales weather but even prettier and we won. Sailing had good veiws of that city and enjoyed the horsey stuff. Course interesting with Chinese themed jumps, shame their Etonian rider took a tumble.

Last night got into the mens archery, the final with the Koreans winning cheered on by their womens team. Great slow motion film of arrows travelling seventy metres to the target.

Old 12th August 2008, 19:40

I'm been watching all the equestrian stuff which has been ace so far! Team Bronze and Individual Bronze for us in the eventing...go GB!
Old 12th August 2008, 19:43

Mood
Pensive

It is great to see so many different sports. Haven't watched a great deal but what I have watched I have enjoyed watching.

Probably won't be able to watch much next few days while I'm at my sister's. We'll have to watch Big Brother knowing her

Nice that you have highlighted the visual side incommunicado.
Old 12th August 2008, 23:10

Mood
Insomnious

I thought the opening ceremony was brill!

I'm enjoying watching the best athletes in the world do their thing and the drama that almost every event produces.
Old 14th August 2008, 01:03

Yes, I`m watching as much as I can, like all the different sports!
Old 14th August 2008, 01:41

I've been watching a lot as well, especially the eventing, well done Team GB and Tina Cooke!
Old 14th August 2008, 02:06

I`ve seen bits of it.
Old 14th August 2008, 13:34

Mood
Amused

I quite like being able to switch the TV on and see Azerbaijan and Ecuador locked in a national struggle for victory in some obscure sporting event I didn't even realise existed. It's wicked cool, means there's something to watch if you're up at 4 in the morning too.
Old 14th August 2008, 19:46

Mood
Torn

Not at all yet although i did look at a picture of a lady beach volleyball player's bottom in the paper today! Apparently she was part of a Georgia (via Brazil) vs Russia Volleyball WAR

I'll probably watch more when the Althletics starts.
Old 14th August 2008, 19:55

Mood
Curious

I seen some horses running around a track and jumping over things, but I switched it off because I didn't want to see them fall over and hurt themselves.

I also seen something on the news about some swimmer who is now apparently the greatest Olympian - going on to ask: is this man the greatest Olympian of all time? To which I had to sit through a long winded assessment of his status which literally concluded in the words 'not really'. And the only conclusion I could draw myself, is despite how boring it generally is, watching the Olympics is infinitely more exciting than watching the news.
Old 15th August 2008, 00:11

I absolutly love sport, but im not hugely interested in the Olympics that much. The only event I like is the Swimming thats quite exciting and watching Phelps swim is such a joy. Greatest sportsman on this planet in my opinion.

Theres just too many boring events like Equestrian and judo. These sort of sports arnt big in this country and it doesnt help when the BBC dont even explain the rules of the sport. No wonder people turn off.

The football world cup or the Ashes yes but I just dont like the olympics, fair play to our sportsmen and women that give their all for the country though .
Old 15th August 2008, 00:26

China still top of the medal table , all these chinamen won medals yesterday:

Win Wun Soon
Sum Ting Wong
Wan Kin
Wun Wong Way
Ho Mi God
Drow Ning
Wie Lee Bin
Ding Dong
Wun Sum Ting
Old 16th August 2008, 19:51

Mood
Inspired

Ye i've watched a few hings. Never been botherd watching it before tho. x
Old 16th August 2008, 19:52

Mood
Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by god of hell fire
china still top of the medal table , all these chinamen won medals yesterday:

Win wun soon
sum ting wong
wan kin
wun wong way
ho mi god
drow ning
wie lee bin
ding dong
wun sum ting

lawl.
Old 16th August 2008, 21:50

Mood
Torn

I watched from about 10am to 4pm today and it was great! Usain Bolt smashed the 100 metres world record and he was practically lighting up a cigar in the last 10 metres!!

And since when were we so great at cycling?
Old 16th August 2008, 21:53

i watched some of the horse ballet (dressage) but more for the surrealism of it than for a love of sport. also teh horseys are lovely
Old 16th August 2008, 22:32

I wasn't really bothered about the Olympics, but I've found myself watching quite a lot and enjoyed it, especially when we keep winning medals! I like watching the sports that don't get much coverage at other times. The 100m was amazing, but they barely break into a sweat compared with the rowers who are half dead by the time they finish.

Old 16th August 2008, 22:35
Mama Shaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by custardcreams
i watched some of the horse ballet (dressage) but more for the surrealism of it than for a love of sport. also teh horseys are lovely
They were lovely weren't they
Old 17th August 2008, 00:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi©o
I also seen something on the news about some swimmer who is now apparently the greatest Olympian - going on to ask: is this man the greatest Olympian of all time? To which I had to sit through a long winded assessment of his status which literally concluded in the words 'not really'. And the only conclusion I could draw myself, is despite how boring it generally is, watching the Olympics is infinitely more exciting than watching the news.
That'd be Mr Phelps... i was actually tempted to start a thread linked to that issue because of something i saw on the BBC website earlier... lemme find it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ouch/2008...vs_phelps.html

I think alot of people have been rather carried away by Mr Phelps's efforts. He's obviously brilliant and pearless in his sport but i've seen/heard numerous 'experts' and reporters claim use his medal tally as evidence that he's not just the greatest Olympian but the greatest SPORTSMAN ever! Nutters!!

a top swimmer like Phelps or previously Thorpe can realisticly compete for 8 medals at the Olympics... Usain Bolt today obliterated the field in the 100 meters in a way that i have never, ever seen before. But he can only really compete in one other event (200 meters). Phelps can win in one games more Olympic medals than Bolt could realisticly aim for in his competative lifetime!!

Regarding the Tanni Grey-Thomson stuff in the article above...... anyone else find it staggering that TGT could ever be put forward as 'greatest Olympian'??

first and foremost, she cant be the greatest Olympian because shes never competed in the Olympics, only the Paralympics.

thats not being pedantic either-- they're totally separate entities, if they werent all the events within the two would be merged together. The POs are for people whose bodies cant do what Olympic competitors bodies can do, not the other way round, there's no crossover, it's a division. Olympics = Premier League, Paralympics = Sunday League

Bolt, Phelps etc. compete at the top against the finest athletic specimins the human race can produce... TGT competes only against people whose bodies dont work. If the able bodied world embraced wheelchair sport as a competitive pursuit it'd be impossible to put forward a case that she'd win so much as a place at the games to begin with ergo she couldnt possibly be mentioned in the same breath as the forementioned athletes...... could she?
Closed Thread