SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 27th August 2011, 22:00

Default Worrying like mad

Hmm well I've got to go to a Christening tomorrow and I'm absolutely going out of my mind with worry....it's my fiancées nieces christening and all my fiancées family will be there. Theyve hired a function room with a bar etc for afterwards and right now I cannot stop thinking about looking an idiot if I get tremors and head shakes and the usual attack symptoms. Ive been gradually worrying more and more in the past few weeks in the build up and now it's here it's like the most horrible feeling of fear.....Arrrrrrgh !
Old 27th August 2011, 22:04
Banned (at own request)

Default Re: Worrying like mad

Eek I feel for you. Do you have /know anyone who has any propranolol, they are quite good for physical symptoms of anxiety?
Old 27th August 2011, 22:14

No the only stuff I have is some Herbal stuff called Valerian and some other stuff called St johns wort, I doubt either will be any good as I've never tried either out.
Old 27th August 2011, 22:23
Banned (at own request)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevey-boy
No the only stuff I have is some Herbal stuff called Valerian and some other stuff called St johns wort, I doubt either will be any good as I've never tried either out.
Why haven't you tried them?

Yes I believe both are quite good - never tried them myself - so all I can say is take them and if this doesn't work for you tomorrow then take it as an-all-power-is-within-your-hands to something about your SA re: going to your GP and working out a plan for a future. Tomorrow is just a snapshot in your life, I'm not trying to be flippant, but your overall health is more important.
Old 27th August 2011, 22:25

Mood
Happy

Hey we all do that on here, just be yourself and smile and then no one can say you looked pised off with the day, good luck mate xx
Old 27th August 2011, 22:33
Banned (at own request)

^ Hmm well that's just a platitude. If the guy is not really that worried then it is a more appropriate post for the lounge.
Old 27th August 2011, 22:40

Cheers guys, my SA is kinda complicated, I used to go to counselling etc and go to a group every Tuesday but I started to feel abit better and I met a girl who's now my fiancé. Meeting my fiancé gave me a massive confidence boost and I sort of felt better....BUT I have still avoided certain social situations. I've already avoided some of her families social events by pretending to be I'll etc but this is one I just can't get out of. Her brother and sister and there partners will be there and they're all close and get on great....they're all younger than me and I don't have anything to talk to them about, I already fear that they think I'm weird. I haven't tried the herbal stuff yet as I only bought it earlier this week In a desperate act to do something about my SA.
Old 27th August 2011, 23:27
Banned (at own request)

That's lovely about your fiancee giving you a massive confidence boost

Does she know/can you tell her and explain how you feel about SA?
Old 28th August 2011, 10:15

My Fiancé kind of knows about my SA, she knows I'm a nervous person and she came with me to a few counselling appointments when we first got together about 3 1/2 years back. I dont think she fully understands though. She knows I'm worried about today but she just keeps telling me there's nothing to be worried about. I think when today's out of the way I'm going to start looking at ways to deal with my SA and maybe become more confident. Thanks for the kind replies guys. I'm off to the Christening soon, just hope I can cope

Last edited by Stevey-boy; 28th August 2011 at 10:18. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 28th August 2011, 18:53

Well I'm back and wow what a great weight off my mind, I wasn't as bad as I thought I was going to be !
Old 28th August 2011, 19:08

Mood
Fine

Well done be very proud of yourself as you didnt avoid it, you faced your fears x
Old 28th August 2011, 19:47

I couldn't really avoid it to be fair lol, I find sometimes that if you do avoid parties and events etc that you feel worse later on....I can't describe the feeling but I've had many times !
Old 28th August 2011, 20:56

Mood
Fine

I no what you mean you feel alot worse when you avoid, ill be the same in a few weeks my brothers renewing his wedding vows, im dreading it. Has to be done though. God its the same feelings every time, you just get so fed up.
Old 28th August 2011, 21:33

It's even worse because other people don't understand SA, so they don't know the emotions you're going through.

Good luck for the day, I took a valerian pill today about an hour before I went and I don't know if that helped but I was ok overall, I'd recommend trying them anyhow.
Old 28th August 2011, 21:56

Well done on going and getting through it.

I had to go to a christening not so long ago, and I was the godmother, was terrified at the thought of having to stand up infront of all those people, but in the end it wasn't as bad as I was making it out to be in my head, as always!
Closed Thread