SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 30th August 2011, 00:31

Mood
Fine

Unhappy toastmasters revisit?

Hi, this is my first post, so hi to everyone.

Im trying to find ways to overcome my social difficulties and so I went along to a local Toastmasters meeting a few weeks ago, it took a lot for me to actually walk in, but i did and it was actually quite a good night. I went the following week and was asked to spend about a minute talking on my feet about a random subject to the rest of the group (about 10 people), I politely refused, I mean, I can't think of many things more terrifying! They were keen for me to do it on my next visit and well, I haven't been back since, that was several weeks ago.

I feel bad, but I'm just so terrified of speaking in public, I think I've got worse with age. It's ashame because it was a good place to meet new people and I enjoyed the evenings even though I struggled socially, I want to go back but the fear of speaking is stopping me!

Not sure what to do

B.n.d
Old 30th August 2011, 21:28

Mood
Fine

Default Re: toastmasters revisit?

I havent heard of that meeting before, if you enjoyed it can you not take someone in charge to the side (go a little bit early) and say that you would like to just sit in for a few weeks your not ready to speak. I no what you mean i couldnt do it either. Good luck!
Old 30th August 2011, 23:19

Mood
Fine

Hi Debs,

Thank for replying. There is this push to get you up "on stage" to overcome your fear so there is a bit of pressure, I just think maybe I kinda threw myself in at the deep end a little, I might give it a go speaking to the guy in charge, it can do no harm I guess...
Old 30th August 2011, 23:25

Mood
Fine

I loved toastmasters when I did it. I understand the anxiety though. Timekeeper can be a good one to start with (although I imagine you have to join to do roles).

Table topics are one of the hardest so its no worry you don't want to do it. Its absolutely fine if you don't want to and they won't think any worse of you. You can tell them that you want to start off with a more structured speaking part first. They will be fine. Speak to the guy in charge or the table topics master for the week.

I really recommend going back as I really enjoyed my time when I did it.
Old 30th August 2011, 23:32

Mood
Fine

Hi,

It is a really interest evening and the people were really friendly, and I think I could just about cope with the structured speeches, its the table topics that I can't quite bring myself to do yet, in fact is rather have my arm cut off..maybe not... but its about as a terrifying prospect!

What other clubs are there to meet such a variety of people as well, I think ill try to sticko with it... cheers
Old 31st August 2011, 00:10

Mood
Fine

Good luck! I don't think there's any club quite like toastmasters and you get a good socialable mix. I'm sure they'll be understanding if you explain it to them. But yeah... table topics are vvvvvvvvvvvvvv hard for people with SA to get used to (tbh its hard for 90% of people to do even if they don't have SA!)
Closed Thread