SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 9th October 2013, 00:23

Default Difference between JSA and ESA work-related group

Hello,

I was wondering if someone can help me. I'm planning to do a research project on SA and benefits. However, I'm still trying to get my head around the benefits system. Just wondering if anyone knew what the difference is between JSA and the ESA work-related group? As I heard some people are being forced to apply to JSA despite having anxiety and initially applying for ESA.

If there is anyone who knows a thing or two about this kind of stuff and wouldn't mind me asking any questions I may have that would be super as well
Old 9th October 2013, 03:02

Default Re: Difference between JSA and ESA work-related group

^ Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researching_about_SA
Just wondering if anyone knew what the difference is between JSA and the ESA work-related group? As I heard some people are being forced to apply to JSA despite having anxiety and initially applying for ESA.
On JSA you have to be actively seeking work.

The ESA work-related activity group is for people who the DWP deem will be capable of work at some time in the future and who are deemed capable of taking steps towards moving into work.

Some people with mental health issues are failing the current criteria for claiming ESA, which involves 'medical assessments' carried out by a company called ATOS. Claimants regularly fail these 'assessments' which are conducted by staff who are often woefully ignorant and untrained in mental health, using a highly dubious computer programme called LIMA. Claimants are then forced to appeal in what can be a lengthy and very stressful process, which may involve having to enlist the support of Welfare Rights and the CAB, etc. They may then have to attend a tribunal if the initial appeal is unsuccessful. The result is that some people will give up fighting due to the endless hassle, mountains of confusing paperwork and general stress of it all. Even if they manage to get ESA granted, it will very likely only be a few months down the line before the DWP start hassling them all over again. And so it goes on and on. Vulnerable claimants may feel they have little choice but to give up and claim JSA as a last resort in order to have some money coming in. This is probably the reason you've heard that some people have been forced to claim JSA.
Old 9th October 2013, 04:49

^well said

also being on ESA work related group is limited to 12 months (contribution based) after which it switches to income related ESA. which is means tested, so even if you are still ill/disabled etc but have a partner who works full time, your own property, savings etc, you don't qualify for ESA any longer, not sure if that is how they are forcing some to claim jsa, I'd imagine that is means tested also.
Old 10th October 2013, 23:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveysurfy
^well said

also being on ESA work related group is limited to 12 months (contribution based) after which it switches to income related ESA. which is means tested, so even if you are still ill/disabled etc but have a partner who works full time, your own property, savings etc, you don't qualify for ESA any longer, not sure if that is how they are forcing some to claim jsa, I'd imagine that is means tested also.
Thanks for this! I did not understand the whole "contribution-based" bit. Has it always been like this or is it part of the more recent changes to ESA?
Old 10th October 2013, 23:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh
^ Hi

On JSA you have to be actively seeking work.

The ESA work-related activity group is for people who the DWP deem will be capable of work at some time in the future and who are deemed capable of taking steps towards moving into work.

Some people with mental health issues are failing the current criteria for claiming ESA, which involves 'medical assessments' carried out by a company called ATOS. Claimants regularly fail these 'assessments' which are conducted by staff who are often woefully ignorant and untrained in mental health, using a highly dubious computer programme called LIMA. Claimants are then forced to appeal in what can be a lengthy and very stressful process, which may involve having to enlist the support of Welfare Rights and the CAB, etc. They may then have to attend a tribunal if the initial appeal is unsuccessful. The result is that some people will give up fighting due to the endless hassle, mountains of confusing paperwork and general stress of it all. Even if they manage to get ESA granted, it will very likely only be a few months down the line before the DWP start hassling them all over again. And so it goes on and on. Vulnerable claimants may feel they have little choice but to give up and claim JSA as a last resort in order to have some money coming in. This is probably the reason you've heard that some people have been forced to claim JSA.
Thank you for this very detailed post.

Have you had personal experiences with ESA?
Old 10th October 2013, 23:48

^^ It's something recent, from around 2009, also to note is if you are in the wrag, and you dont undertake work related activity, you can be sanctioned.

Now it used to be if you were sanctioned you would lose the work related component, which was around £30 or so, and keep the support compenent, which was £70ish, well they changed that back in dec 2012 so now you lose the support compenent instead.

Also the gov has said no one will be worse off or lose any money when switching over, well from what my esa adviser said tahts not really true, whilst you are on contributions based esa you recieve the same amount you got on the older incapacity benefit, though he told me when it switches over to income based esa, it will probably be reduced to what esa normally is.
Old 11th October 2013, 01:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researching_about_SA
Have you had personal experiences with ESA?
Yes, all that I wrote has happened to me.
Old 11th October 2013, 01:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveysurfy
^well said

You are allowed to own your own property and have savings up to £6000 and still claim means-tested benefits- I suppose they realise that if everyone had to sell their property when they lost their job the housing benefit bill would become fairly enormous.
Old 11th October 2013, 02:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda
You are allowed to own your own property and have savings up to £6000 and still claim means-tested benefits- I suppose they realise that if everyone had to sell their property when they lost their job the housing benefit bill would become fairly enormous.
Thanks for clarifying that, I wasn't sure whether it affected it or not, and to what degree, I think having a partner who earns though means you get nothing, though I'm not 100% on that.
Old 12th October 2013, 18:16

I have a question regarding WRAG - do they encourage you to request for accommodations for your eventual job? Or do they only give standard advise for jobseekers (e.g CV help, interview help etc).