Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th August 2018, 05:33
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Learning difficulties- we are not unintelligent

Some people believe those with learning difficulties are unintelligent. That is a myth. It's just that we have problems with an area or areas of cognition. Some are even gifted with a learning difficulty.
Old 20th August 2018, 13:30

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Learning difficulties- we are not unintelligent

problem is though,. if you don't use it, you lose it,..
I've found that the less interaction you have the duller you tend to become,
I've probably lost about 50% of what intelligence I used to have, just by making my life far too simple and stress-free,... it's an annoying catch22 thing for me.
think you've gotta' keep on keeping-on.
Old 20th August 2018, 14:22

Mood
Mellow

Default Re: Learning difficulties- we are not unintelligent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco Da Gama
I've found that the less interaction you have the duller you tend to become

Duller? In what way? The only scenario that does spring to mind is, someone might well appear to become 'duller'/slower/less responsive when it comes to something like social banter and exchanging jokes and funny, p*** taking comments, for example, if they're not exposed to that kind of situation on a regular basis. But of course, whether that is important to you or not, I guess depends on what you're intending to get involved with socially!

Quote:
I've probably lost about 50% of what intelligence I used to have, just by making my life far too simple and stress-free

Really? Is there such a thing as making one's life too simple and stress-free? I would have thought that is exactly what most people (adults at least) are basically attempting to do in their life today - simplify the inherent complexity that modern existence seems to throw at us, whilst at the same time, trying to reduce the inevitable stress that goes along with that complexity. Indeed, I would have thought the greater risk to our intelligence would come from the result of those very stresses and strains on our mental health/emotional state of wellbeing.

Quote:
problem is though,. if you don't use it, you lose it

Yes, we obviously have to keep our brains and senses functioning to some extent, in order to keep everything in good working order, but there's clearly more than one way of going about that. The internet, for example, is a huge resource of information that we can use to expand our knowledge and keep our minds active (including interacting with others, of course); all without even leaving home if we don't wish to!

Then there's the not unimportant question of where does intelligence come from in the first place? Is it, as you appear to be suggesting, locked up somehow inside our individual physical brains? Or is intelligence something different altogether - perhaps something far more immaterial, universal and immeasurable, and yet using the brain through which to operate? In which case, perhaps 'your intelligence' was never really yours to begin with?