SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th October 2019, 07:40

Default The Tyranny of thought

Good piece
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/nancy...b_2998727.html
Old 10th October 2019, 11:33

Default Re: The Tyranny of thought

I generally don't agree that irrational thought patterns and skewed beliefs can be cured by trying to rationalise them - at least not on the simplistic level suggested in the article.

But it very well may work for some, and I hope it does.
Old 10th October 2019, 12:09

I don't think mindfulness is about rationalising or curing, that sounds more like CBT. It's about standing back from the thoughts and emotions and trying to see them in a more objective way. It takes time and practice but I think the idea is that they start to lose their grip over you, so that you don't go round and round in circles, or desperately try to find a solution to every problem. Sometimes solutions may emerge over time and with calm attention.

Having said all that, I do think it can be very hard to deal with some aspects of social anxiety in that way. I know from personal experience that the anxiety can be very sudden and very strong, and if we've been in the habit of reacting to it in a certain way for years/decades, I think we would need to achieve quite a high level of mindfulness to cope with that.

I find it very helpful in a general sort of way, and I do think over time it helps us be less reactive and less stuck in our usual tracks.
Old 10th October 2019, 12:11
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
I generally don't agree that irrational thought patterns and skewed beliefs can be cured by trying to rationalise them
I don't think the article is about rationalising them so much as not getting involved in them and just observing them happening. I'm not sure how easy that is though either.
Old 10th October 2019, 12:41
Banned at own request

It's quite weird how humans love thinking but our brains really aren't that good at thinking (compared to, say, processing visual information). In fact most of the brain is set up to help you avoid thinking because thinking is slow and difficult and often you need to react quickly to things.
Old 10th October 2019, 17:42

Hamlet said: "...for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
Old 10th October 2019, 17:44
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey123
Hamlet said: "...for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
He's a clever cigar, that Hamlet.
Old 12th October 2019, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by slrrrrp
I don't think the article is about rationalising them so much as not getting involved in them and just observing them happening. I'm not sure how easy that is though either.
I've found observing them and not getting involved in them can be helpful sometimes..
Old 12th October 2019, 21:22

It's a good phrase. I have an aunt who repeats the same depressing stories about her childhood every time I see her. She is 80 now and has been replaying these thought patterns like a CD, over and over again, since she was in her 20s or 30s. It's shocking to see actually.
Old 13th October 2019, 10:06

^ What a waste of a life
Old 13th October 2019, 11:27

Mood
Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy77
It's a good phrase. I have an aunt who repeats the same depressing stories about her childhood every time I see her. She is 80 now and has been replaying these thought patterns like a CD, over and over again, since she was in her 20s or 30s. It's shocking to see actually.
I think I’m the same I just don’t bother others with it, but the same sob stories swim around inside my mind sometimes. Did your aunt ever have a family?