SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 8th September 2005, 19:49

Default What medication are you taking and does it help?

I have taken Seroxat in the past and found this to be very helpful with anxiety/panic attacks. It was good at calming me down, although anything higher than 20mg turned me into a Zombie.

Since then I have tried herbal/homeopathy but they have not really helped at all with my feelings of SA. I do need something but before I go to the doctors I would like to know what others have found helpful. I don't feel that the Seroxat would be helpful anymore because although I need something to calm me I also need something to perk me up. Depression was not a problem before but now it is.

I hope this makes sense.

Claire
Old 8th September 2005, 20:10

Default Re: What medication are you taking and does it help?

At the moment I’m on Fluoxetine (Prozac), I have been on it for a while and I do think it is helping me cope, my doctor I think wants to reduce my dosage with the view of stopping it altogether, but I'm not sure. In the past I have been on Venflaxine, which is similar to Prozac, and have taken Buspirone for the anxiety, which I didn’t find useful.
Old 8th September 2005, 20:50
JayDubya

I was taking Fluoxetine for just over a year. It started out great for the first month or so, but then it was almost as if my body became immune to it and I started getting a lot worse. The doctor kept upping the dose until he couldn't up it anymore. Towards the end of the year, I found that if I missed a tablet I'd get really dizzy - the thought of coming off them was very scary and I started to feel like I'd never get rid of the things.

I felt like it wasn't helping, I was scared of becoming addicted and I actually started drinking alot and getting wasted because I couldn't stand the feelings I was having. We stepped (we, the doctor and I) down the dose, but I still felt awful coming off them. A lot of dizziness and nausia that I could only cure with alcohol.

The thing is that I was down on paper as 'paranoid depression', which (I know now) was wrong. To compliment my medicine, I had about 4 weeks of counselling from a guy who seemed more like a salesman than a counsellor - he told me how I felt, what I was feeling and how I needed to 'snap out of it' ... I don't think I'd ever bother with councilling again.

Any councelling I've ever had has been wrong. I don't remember what my childhood councellor said, but the first guy I remember seeing (after leaving school) told me I might be gay, which was why I was so sad. The second said that I have unresolved sexual problems and the third and final said pretty much that there was nothing wrong with me other than what he called a 'life crisis'. All I needed to do was 'snap out of it'. Next time, I'll talk to the fish.

I've tried many different tablets and none have worked for me, but that doesn't mean they won't work for someone else. If you can find a good doctor and a good support network I'm sure it can help... I just couldn't find either.
Old 8th September 2005, 20:52

Mood
Energetic

I'm currently on 60mg Citalopram, at first i noticed it help a little bit but for the past few months the effects of it are none-existent other than the side effects.
Old 8th September 2005, 21:01

I'm on Cipralex (Escitalopram), and yes, i feel that it has helped me a lot.

JayDubya writes ...
"Any councelling I've ever had has been wrong. I don't remember what my childhood councellor said, but the first guy I remember seeing (after leaving school) told me I might be gay, which was why I was so sad. The second said that I have unresolved sexual problems and the third and final said pretty much that there was nothing wrong with me other than what he called a 'life crisis'. All I needed to do was 'snap out of it'. Next time, I'll talk to the fish".

I'm sorry to hear of these negative experiences of counselling.
I'm a trainee counsellor and have simply no idea what kind of counselling you were given, but it sounds dreadful.
No counsellor i know would make sweeping statements and unqualified diagnosis of your issues like your counsellors did.
Counsellors don't actually diagnose anything, so why they'd tell you what they think is 'wrong' with you is a mystery. Not all of us are like that, so if you do have counselling in the future i hope it's more successful.
Old 8th September 2005, 21:03

Im currently taking exercise and a healthy diet. so far it has been better than meds or herbal stuff ive taken in the past.
Old 8th September 2005, 21:17

Tried seroxat (on and off over several years) and citralopram (few months earlier this year). Found Citralopram had no obvious (to me) side-effects and coming off it was fine (reduced dose over several weeks). With Seroxat had really wierd unpleasant effects on my brain, if I ever forgot to take it and coming off it properly (i.e. very gradually reducing the dose) took a long time. A couple of times came of it abrubtly (my bad) - 'cause prescription had run out and was reluctant to see GP again - and that was most unpleasant.

I really don't know how much they actually helped me, who can tell what I would have been like without them though. Not taking any meds at the mo' don't feel much different than when I was. So they may have helped as in I would have been really bad without them and they brought me up to the level where I am now, still with anxiety problems and prone to depression but not at present clincially depressed. (if that makes sense to anyone I'll be amazed ).

Also when taking meds got so much more easily pissed. I don't think you are supposed to have alcohol while taking these drugs, but I wasn't going to abstain through Uni or afterwards. My friends accepted me as a lightweight (none knew the truth about my problems) they just took the mick alot.
Old 8th September 2005, 21:43
JayDubya

Innerspace .. I'm sure that you are right. I *KNOW* there are good councellors out there.

I've heard some amazing success stories from people I know (well, knew actually, but thats not important) and I know there *are* good counsellors.

On the other hand, I certainly felt like I've been drugged up and dumped by several doctors in the past - then like my counselling was just obligatory for them to look like they were doing something (jobclub-style!).

It's so important to get the right environment to improve (and the right treatment) .. that if the doctor is prescribing anything and you're not getting the support it can be just as bad as doing nothing about the problem.

:hidesbehi
Old 8th September 2005, 21:47
Bak2Rehab

I prefer the natural methods,like exercise and healthy diet.
If i've had a bad few nights I do go for my sleeping pills.A handful usually does the job.
I'm a bit of a Tom Cruise.I'm not a believer in Psychiatric Drugs to try to change someones personality or treat emotional conditions
Old 8th September 2005, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDubya
...Any councelling I've ever had has been wrong...
I had loads of counselling at Uni through the Uni counselling service, it was fine for getting things off my chest by just being able to talk to someone about my problems. I even began to explore my past history in light of how and why my depression and anxiety had come about. But in the long run it was buggar all help.

Not all therapy is the same though, from what I've read and my personal experience, talking therapies (by which I mean where you do all the talking and the therpist/counsellor makes occasssion or no comment) are at best of very limited use and of mainly of no help. I have found Cognitive-behavioural therapies do work and have long-term benefits, although it can be hard work.

Most importantly you need to work with someone you can get on with and trust. I have been to two psychotherpists/pychologists and the first I stop seeing after a while 'cause I didn't really feel comfortable with her approach. My new one is great and I've made real progress this year. I do have to pay for the sessions myself though, and they're not cheap, but NHS waiting lists are far too long.

Quote:
...the third and final said pretty much that there was nothing wrong with me other than what he called a 'life crisis'. All I needed to do was 'snap out of it'. Next time, I'll talk to the fish.
I understand you frustration, unfortunately they're are lots of crap therpaists and doctors out there, but there are good ones too, keep looking it's worth it.

My Mum has told me in the past to just 'snap out of it' - worse response ever when your depressed, that counsellor should have know better.
Old 8th September 2005, 21:58

Quote:
Innerspace .. I'm sure that you are right. I *KNOW* there are good councellors out there.
Opps done the same I'm afraid pointing out what you aready know. Peeps do that to me all the time. But oh well my personal experience of counsellors/therpists may be of some interest.

Quote:
It's so important to get the right environment to improve (and the right treatment) .. that if the doctor is prescribing anything and you're not getting the support it can be just as bad as doing nothing about the problem.

:hidesbehi
Spot on, so many wasted years of just being prescribed drugs but with no proper support or even guidance, good ole NHS. Has anyone experience of getting full, proper help on the NHS, or is the only real option to go private to get therapy?

Last edited by Gwen; 8th September 2005 at 22:25.
Old 8th September 2005, 23:22

SSRI's were no use, been on Moclobemide for nearly two years, did some good but is starting to wear off recently but can't be increased as i'm on 150% maximum dose. Should be on Nardil but they're reluctant to prescribe it.

Maintain fitness and have never medicated with alcohol!
Old 9th September 2005, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen
Spot on, so many wasted years of just being prescribed drugs but with no proper support or even guidance, good ole NHS. Has anyone experience of getting full, proper help on the NHS, or is the only real option to go private to get therapy?
I don't know exactly what you mean by full on proper help but after a week from being discharged from the psychiatric hospital (which was an interesting experience) my CBT started. The consultants SHO did the sessions with me, it was the first time he had done any CBT so it was a learning curve for the both of us. After that finished my gp is trying to arrange to see a nurse that they have at the practice who deals with anxiety and phobias. The gp wants to see me every 3 weeks and if I don't make the appointments she makes them for me and I get a phone call. She seems reticent to prescribe any medication but there are reasons for that.

There is a non NHS service round here that offers a counsellor who I go to see once a week and also acupuncture sessions which I start on monday. Unfortunately there is a 3 month waiting list.

Last edited by veracocha; 9th September 2005 at 10:04.
Old 9th September 2005, 12:34

Im on seroxat. It works absolute wonders for my anxiety and depression although i do feel tierd all the time. I have had several failed attempts at coming off it but my doctor has finally realised that that is because the seroxat is just masking the real problem and has finally refered me for CBT (apparently making me a priority case because iam a full time mum to an 18 month old little boy).

Anyhow for me seroxat has probably saved my life. I have been on it for over 4 years now but i helps me lead a fairly normal life. Obviously i still have problems with anxiety but it just takes the edge of enough for me to be able to deal with my sa rather than letting it take over my life.
Old 9th September 2005, 13:54

Mood
Tired

20mg Citalopram. Just makes me feel tired and demotivated all the time.
Old 9th September 2005, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by veracocha
I don't know exactly what you mean by full on proper help.....
Well really a full course of therapy, for instance CBT, in addition to or instead of medication. Or at least being properly informed of the options available, or at the very least being told who else to seek advice from if the GP themselves can't really help.

Hope your treatment goes well by the way.

For quite a while I was only on meds (with aformentioned counselling sessions on an off for a bit) had fairly regular check-ups with the GP, but was not offered any other options or proper advice. When finally did get an assesment for therapy the waiting lists on NHS proved too long. Fortunately my new GP, who arranged the assesment, also put me onto the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, from there I got in touch with some therapists privately and that was my first major breakthrough, after several years of struggling to cope.
Old 11th September 2005, 20:22

Thank you for all your replies. I am off to the doctors tomorrow, not sure what I will be offered but definately need some medication and I am going to asked for CBT.

I had a two hour drive back from Swansea earlier and it was sheer panic all the whole way home. My panic attacks are off the scale and I keep bursting into tears, I really feel like I am losing the plot. I know I am due to start college 30th Sept and a work placement at a school. I mentioned in an earlier post that I am trying the flooding technique which has helped in the past. I have paid for my course which is why I don't want to let people down because the money could of been spent elsewhere.

Claire
Old 11th September 2005, 23:40

I'm taking Seroxat too - helps a great deal.

Anyway, good luck with the Dr's appointment tomorrow, Claireabell - hope it goes ok.
Old 12th September 2005, 14:01

I have been to the doctors and was prescribed Seroxat but only because I have taken it on previous occasions for anxiety. He did say that he has not prescribed it for anyone suffering from anxiety for two years because of the side effects.

I am being refered for CBT although I did have to push to get that. He wanted me to just go for counseling at the surgery, been there, done that but I need more help than just having someone listen to me.

Its been 3 hours since I took the first pill and already I can feel it relaxing me, or maybe thats because I didn't have much sleep last night, lol

Claire
Closed Thread