SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 17th January 2006, 13:48

Default appointment for a medical assessment

Hi all

I have suffered with SA since I was 15 but have only recently been diagnosed. I've been signed off from work since July and am currently having weekly sessions with an occupational therapist. I've had several problems with my employers, despite the fact that they have had access to my medical records. They have now decided that I may be eligible for a "permanent health insurance policy" and so have passed my case onto an insurance company. The insurance company have requested a medical report from my gp but also want me to attend a medical assessment up at Harley street I've been told that the appointment will last approximately 1 hour and am absolutely terrified.
I was wondering if anyone else has had to attend anything similar? I'm worried about what they are going to ask me and why it will take so long. What if I say the wrong thing or don't know what to say? Am I going to come across as a complete idiot? :embarass: Fortunately my mum will be coming with me for moral support as there is NO WAY that I would travel up to London on my own.
Basically all I'd like to know is if anyone else has had to attend anything like this and if so, what sort of things did they ask you?
My long term goal is to be able to eventually return to work as I believe that at only 31 I am far too young to be retired due to ill health, although the thought of working at the moment brings me out in sweats, nausea and causes my heart to beat so fast that I think I'm going to have a heart attack. Can anyone help?
Old 18th January 2006, 13:07
tickledpinkies

Default Re: appointment for a medical assessment

I just went to see a CBT therapist for the first time for an assesment, I know its slightly different but my appointment was for an hr too. It does seem like a long time but when you get there they tend to ask you questions about what your problem is, what triggers it off, when did it start and how do you feel physically/emotionally when It happens. If they are trying to see if you can have time off because of SA then Im supposing they must be asking questions about your mindstate.

Dont worry ( not easy to do) I think you'll find when you get there it will be easier than you think and you can lift a weight off yourself. Luv Sam xx
Old 20th January 2006, 03:13

Mood
Energetic

Default Re: appointment for a medical assessment

These medical places are very odd, sending people with SA to highly populated area's to prove we have SA. Surely if we don't show up it means we have SA since alot of us are too afraid to go on our own because of the sheer number of people. January 2005 i was sent to a medical assessment by DWP for incapacity benefit and was signed off for 18 months. He asked very simple questions, all you have to do is answer honestly and anything you don't understand they'll usually explain it for you. Medical assessments are always carried out by trained Doctor's so they will be used to dealing with people that suffer from SA. Unfortunately after my appointment i will on my own going home and had an anxiety attack on the way to the bus station as it was Manchester City Centre. Your mum going with you will be the best thing possible for you and i hope it will help you stay calm.
Closed Thread