SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 5th February 2006, 22:52

Mood
Energetic

Default New psychologist

I was diagnosed with SA May 2003, but have suffered from it for about 10 years now (I'm almost 22). Well when i was diagnosed i was put on the emergency list for psychologist and given Citalopram at 20mg. As we progressed my doseage was increased to 40mg then 60mg. I was going to the psychologist on a weekly basis and it did seem to be helping, it helped me overcome alot of personal problems mainly with depression, but did not help me with anxiety much if at all. At one point it seemed like the sessions had helped big time but unfortunately it wasn't to last and i reverted further into SA feelings of insecurities, depression and anxiety. But unfortunately by the time I'd slid back my psychology sessions had already ended.

So i attempted for a few months to attempt to build up my courage to combat SA but unfortunately nothing has worked and i'm still very insecure about myself and very afraid of people. At most i leave the house about six hours a month and only when I'm with a member of my family, i rarely if ever go out on my own.

A few months ago I asked my Doctor for a re-referral to the psychologist and also asked if there was any further medication he could give me as Citalopram wasn't having the impact it used to at beating depression, so now i'm on 60mg/day of Citalopram and 160mg/day Beta blockers. Which works well on my depression but not at all well on my anxiety. A few weeks ago i got through my first appointment for my new psychology sessions, but to my dismay it's a new psychologist, but not just that but a male psychologist. The problem with a male psychologist is that most of my problems lie with me being very insecure around males, feeling unsafe and my anxiety level raises alot higher with men than it does with women. My first session with the new psychologist is tomorrow and my anxiety level is already increased by just thinking about it. I'm not sure how well I'll be able to open up to a male psychologist.

Do you guys have any suggestions how i can alleviate my anxiety specifically around other guys? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 5th February 2006, 23:10

Default Re: New psychologist

alright

Sorry to hear your having a bad spell. I'm 22 and on Citalopram as well its had little affect on my sa. I still go over things for hours what to do what i should have done.

as for the psychologist i'm seeing she helps alot we have really good talks. I don't think i would be comfortable with a male psychologist either. only problem is i think i may be attracted to her which is not good.

maybe you could ask your doctor if it would possible to change because it part of the problem your going through.

take it easy
Closed Thread