SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 24th July 2017, 22:13

Mood
Gloomy

Default Re: SA-friendly jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina
I get myself into a right state just looking at jobs and I feel sick when I'm actually applying for them lol. I have a permanent lump in my throat which will only go when I take my anti anxiety meds. I've searched for all the jobs you've listed apart from the warehouse ones where I think there would be loads of people!!!!! It's sad because I have a diploma and 5 nvq's all wasted
I feel exactly the same
Old 20th August 2017, 22:54

Hello everyone,
Like a lot of people with SA I find it difficult to live up to my potential, I am a qualified electrician however my SA makes it impossible to carry out the job, however I managed to find a job as a Telecare Technician where I install panic buttons for elderly and vulnerable people, I work from home and just chat to old folks all day! Its worth looking into as it does not really require qualifications, just need to be tech savvy.
Old 20th August 2017, 23:07

^ You have to go in to their home to install it, or is it just sent in the post?
Old 19th September 2017, 14:14

Working remotely as a freelancer is a good way to work without necessarily having to meet people face to face. Seems ideal at first, but the problem is it can actually make social anxiety worse when you do eventually have to go out and meet people.

I worked freelance as an animator for 7 years and found that I became even more of a recluse and my SA was far worse when I did eventually go out. Cabin fever would set in, it really wasn't healthy spending so much time alone.
I guess the trick is to try and find the right balance.
Old 9th October 2017, 23:00

Mood
Mellow

Here is an idea for being self employed with little or no face to face contact.
Printing 3D designs for customers on ebay, gumtree etc. Using a 3D printer .
Downside is initial investment, building up experience, and as Johnny Boy55 said
spending to much time alone.
In business I’m OK one to one face to face as long as I really know what I’m on about.
For me knowledge helps with confidence a lot. Been quiet been busy recently
Old 30th January 2018, 08:59

Talking Re: SA-friendly jobs

I agree with alltimegreat, translating saved my life lol I basically just receive assignments via email, complete it and then return. You get paid quite well and don't necessarily need qualifications (depending on the company); esp if it is your mother tongue. I work for Amytis Translations.com and they're great, very easy to work with and laid back company. Capita. com is the biggest one in the world I think, but they're so hard to get into because they require a million qualifications. I managed to save quite a bit of money this way and paid my way through therapy - that was the goal. If you are working just to be avoidant, that's a very bad idea; it will only make your anxiety worse but if you work, save up and then do something to help yourself, then don't feel bad for having an anti-social job. The way I see it, I am in this job because I would like to have a choice in whether I want to or not want to be social but I am by no means avoiding it. I use my money to do social things. I even signed up to the gym!

I'm happyagain :D
Old 30th January 2018, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyagain
I agree with alltimegreat, translating saved my life lol
I'm also a translator. Great for SA sufferers but allows you to exercise considerable avoidance, so you don't get any better.

(And in my experience you will need quals - either an MA in Translation Studies or a vocational diploma like the IoL DipTrans. (I have an MA and the IoL DipTrans) - unless you have a lot of experience in a particular industry and can bring that along with your language skills to the table).
Old 30th January 2018, 12:18

Cool Re: SA-friendly jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey123
I'm also a translator. Great for SA sufferers but allows you to exercise considerable avoidance, so you don't get any better.

(And in my experience you will need quals - either an MA in Translation Studies or a vocational diploma like the IoL DipTrans. (I have an MA and the IoL DipTrans) - unless you have a lot of experience in a particular industry and can bring that along with your language skills to the table).
I'm a translator, I have 0 qualifications in translating and I have worked for big advertising companies and law firms. right now I am working for legal aid through a translation company that tested my knowledge by giving me work and then having someone else proofread it. They said that, if the proofreader rated me high, then they will send me more work and they did! ...because some people understand that not everyone has 'qualifications' but that they are just as intelligent, if not more, than those who do. People with social anxiety in particular tend to be highly intelligent because they spend so much time alone and all they can really do is learn; I used to spend the majority of my time endlessly reading and researching. Anyway, I don't suffer from social anxiety like I used to because I was able to save up and go to therapy. Once I improved my communication skills, I was confident enough to join group therapy and now, I have the confidence to go to the gym. I used to be so self conscious going to the gym because I did not want people to see me exercise but now, I am in contact with an old school friend and we gym it together. I couldn't leave my house 2 years ago so I have come a long way and that's thanks to people who are not so rigid when hiring workers. Amytis are an excellent and professional company, they just know that you cannot judge a fish by trying to make it climb a tree. For anyone that is interested, the company that I work for is Amytistranslations.com - they have over 200 translators, some like me who are tested in fair and helpful ways and others with 'qualifications'.

You do have to tell them that you would like to be tested through proofreading though...
Old 30th January 2018, 12:26

Well, I'm just going on what my experience has been. There is a lot of snobbery in the translation industry, as I discovered when I worked in-house. And virtually all agencies I've worked for have asked for either quals, or industry experience, or both.
Old 27th July 2018, 19:56

I just do CashCrate from home, my husband is the big earner with a real job, I'm the lazy bum.

It's just surveys, giving your opinions on TV adverts and new foods, stuff like that, but it works, it's not a scam. It's not just an American thing, they send monthly cheques everywhere in the world. They pay with a cheque through the post at first then you have the option to put your earnings in your PayPal.

I make about 300/400 a month, which I spend on very important things like lipstick and Starbucks.

Link to join in my sig:
Old 28th September 2018, 20:57

I drive a truck now, i was an office cleaner working unsociable hours before that. I had keys for the businesses I cleaned so didn't really see anyone.
I have more contact with the driving but it's fairly fleeting unless I feel unusually sociable! I'm given a job sheet and a truck for the day/week - usually getting loaded by digger and transporting it to tip on another site, back and forth, just me n the radio living the dream ! It's about 3k to get both licences but with 12 hour days you can make it back quickly. Scooter delivery also looks sa friendly, especially for deliveroo as you're fairly independent working from your phone.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk