SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th October 2017, 22:00

Default Autism assessment tomorrow

So tomorrow I have an autism assessment at my local mental health place. Not sure what will come of it.

It took me ages to complete the assessment questionnaires, I found these quite challenging.
Old 11th October 2017, 22:11

Mood
Shoveit

Default Re: Autism assessment tomorrow

Best of luck with it captain memo!
Old 11th October 2017, 22:17

Mood
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Nemo
So tomorrow I have an autism assessment at my local mental health place. Not sure what will come of it.

It took me ages to complete the assessment questionnaires, I found these quite challenging.
Good luck with that ...
Old 11th October 2017, 22:39

Good luck with tomorrow’s assessment, Captain Nemo
Old 22nd October 2017, 22:07

The assessment was completely fine - the lady who carried it out was lovely. My mum came along with me and talked with her a lot about my early life. I tried my best to be honest and to articulate as well as I could.

I have now been diagnosed (is that the word?) with autism, specifically aspergers. Although not really a surprise, it did make me feel some closure in terms of it explaining many facets of my life to this point (maybe it was not all my fault...). I hope my family feel a similar way (sometimes I feel really bad about how the way I am has impacted on them )

I watched the Chris Packham programme with my parents, which we found very interesting, and what opportune timing! I intend to do some reading into this condition, to get some more understanding. I was given some websites to look at after my assessment, so see that as a starting point.
Old 28th October 2017, 22:16

i think its good if you get diagnosed since you can get directed to help better aligned with aspergers (i had a test and failed it earlier this year), hopefully good things come from the suppor you can get
Old 29th October 2017, 08:58
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

That's good, Captain Nemo . Just as a matter of interest how easy was it for you to get an assessment, and did you have any prior ,so called, severe mental illness diagnoses ?
Also how old are you- 20s/30s/40s/50s/60s ?
Old 29th October 2017, 17:19

Did anyone else get the weird picture book with frogs on flying lily pads that you were supposed to make up some narrative for?...
Old 2nd November 2017, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey
That's good, Captain Nemo . Just as a matter of interest how easy was it for you to get an assessment, and did you have any prior ,so called, severe mental illness diagnoses ?
Also how old are you- 20s/30s/40s/50s/60s ?
Getting the assessment was not difficult, but there was a wait of several months. I was referred for it through my GP - I went along to him with my mum, who thought I might be on the autism spectrum (it was also during a low point in terms of my mood). I had seen him before about depression etc., but we had done a bit of looking up about autism, and thought my problems were not quite 'ordinary' depression.

As for age, I am in my late 20s. It is only in the last couple of years I've sought help (when I decided there was literally nothing left to lose). I've not previously had a formal diagnosis for anything as such, but certainly have periods of very low mood. And I've always found interaction with others challenging.

I have never been on medication, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Jon
Did anyone else get the weird picture book with frogs on flying lily pads that you were supposed to make up some narrative for?...
I can't say my assessment involved either frogs, or flying lily pads.