SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 15th November 2017, 16:57

Question How Not to Be a Boy book by Robert Web from Peep Show

Anyone into Peep Show?

This book is Robert Web's autobiography about growing up shy and not conforming to the norms of what being a boy/man is supposed to be.

He had a pretty sad life growing up. I'm only half way but it also sounds like being an adult wasn't that great either!

Any way, its an interesting read to learn about someone who grew up shy/not fitting in.

Check it: http://amzn.to/2hBy3l1
Old 15th November 2017, 17:07

Default Re: How Not to Be a Boy book by Robert Web from Peep Show

I loved the Peep Show, sounds good
Old 15th November 2017, 18:32

I watched a few interviews with him promoting this book. Gonna get around to reading it at some point.
Old 15th November 2017, 20:12

Mood
Shoveit

Peep show was genius!

I heard about the book. Though, I am always sceptical of any mainstream celebrity coming out with stories of being 'shy ' etc. Cause look at the situations they put themselves in and it doesn't really add up to me. But I may read it at some point.
Old 16th November 2017, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggs The Terrible
Though, I am always sceptical of any mainstream celebrity coming out with stories of being 'shy ' etc. Cause look at the situations they put themselves in and it doesn't really add up to me. But I may read it at some point.
Yes, me too!

He was definitely shy and awkward when young from what the books says.

Then his sexual urges kick in and his desire to be famous so that no one can hurt him (as a child he thinks being famous can help him escape his abusive family) kicks in, that sort of pushes his shyness out the way.

For me, nothing really pushed my shyness out of the way!

I guess his fear of not being famous and alone was greater than his shyness, so he went out there in the world to pursue his goals.

However, as he was motivated to be famous/not single due to a fear, rather than for positive reasons, it all went to shit!
Old 17th November 2017, 13:20

Sounds like pathetic and lazy man bashing to me - little boys need to be taught to be more like the stereotypical men, not less.

By 'man' I mean being self-responsible, stoical and strong, a leader and an achiever. These are all good qualities to have and which men will always strive for irrespective of how tainted they have become. Not least because society (and women) reward men with these qualities.

In fact, women would do well to be more like men, too. Even though rates of neuroticism, mental illness, etc have skyrocketed in women, somehow no one wants to question whether traditional male attributes - self-reliance, stoicism, emotional reticence - might be a valid antidote.

The constant cultural introspection forced on men and modelled by women exists side by side with the highest rates of mental decay in human history.
Old 17th November 2017, 14:04

Quote:
Sounds like pathetic and lazy man bashing to me - little boys need to be taught to be more like the stereotypical men, not less.
That's obviously not the stereotypical man though is it!

If the stereotypical man was "self-responsible, stoical and strong, a leader and an achiever" they wouldn't be having the problems described in the book!

I think you should give it a read!
Old 19th November 2017, 10:34

I always thought he looked a cocky bugger, so that is surprising I've actually got him wrong and he was shy. Maybe worth a read.

Interesting perspective Hermann, but there's also this concept of toxic masculinity
Old 19th November 2017, 14:06

I'm nearly finished. But he's quite a complex character.

On one hand he's shy and scared as a child, but then he decides to become famous to overcome that shyness.

Then as things start going right for him - going to Cambridge, meeting women who like him, doing well in work - he gets too cocky and starts being a massive dick!

I guess its the a classic case of if you don't sort out your underlying issues, it doesn't really matter if you overcome being shy or whatever, those issues are going to keep coming back and biting you in the ass throughout your life at different points!
Old 19th November 2017, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by affluenza
I always thought he looked a cocky bugger, so that is surprising I've actually got him wrong and he was shy. Maybe worth a read.

Interesting perspective Hermann, but there's also this concept of toxic masculinity
Toxic masculinity? You mean misandry?