SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th November 2017, 21:51

Mood
Happy

Default Aspergers

Hi all. Long time no post. Anyone with Aspergers / autism on here? I discovered I was on the spectrum a few years ago. Iíd been trying hard to tackle the SA, but after discovering I had Aspergers I gradually stopped fighting it and realised a lot of my difficulties / awkwardness were due to the autism. I was fed up of fighting the SA and failing. I started to accept it and realise that having Aspergers is actually mostly a good thing - I love that I see the world differently and process information differently to others (most of the time, haha). I tried to make my life fit around my Aspergers rather than become Ďnormalí and try and fit in to the world. 😯 This meant avoiding certain situations that I knew I didnít cope with... And kind of living in my own little bubble. 😊
Fast forward a few years though and Iím starting to want to have better social skills again. I donít want to just accept it. Iíve been pushing myself out of my comfort zone lately and doing things that involve meeting new people, and suddenly the things I struggle with have been brought back to the forefront and SA has once again reared its god ugly head. 😦 My confidence has grown massively in general, but there are still things Iíve made zero progress with. The biggest problem I seem to have is that I take a long time to process information - when Iím having a face to face conversation with someone I often canít keep up, I canít process what the other person is saying or what I want to say quick enough. Does anyone relate to this? Am I just setting myself up for more frustration?
Really Iím just looking to talk to some people that have been in a similar situation, particularly those with both SA and autism, and share tips and advice.
Old 19th November 2017, 23:35

Mood
Happy

Default Re: Aspergers

I find I cant keep up with conversations and often get embarressed when I’m then asked an opinion based on what has been said to me.

However I dont think I have autisim just very poor social skills and cognative ability

It used to worry me a lot but now not so much as I’ve come to realise as I’ve got more talkative/less shy that most people also dont really take in what you’re saying either.

And if I do miss something I just tell the other person I’m thinking it over or if I’m in my dont care frame of mind I just tell em I drifted of or my mind wandered. Most people dont seem to mind this as it happens to them to.

I also learnt to ask people to repeat what they’ve said to me and not care what they think.
When I was younger I would never do this as I was always too embarressed. Then I came to realise other people would often ask me to repeat stuff I had said and it wasn’t abnormal to do so.

Another technique is to speak so fast, that the other person cant keep up with you. Then they look as slow as you
Old 19th November 2017, 23:58

Mood
Happy

Default Re: Aspergers

Cheers for the reply. It’s actually good to ask people to repeat stuff as it shows you’re interested and want to take in what they’re saying.

Speaking quickly wouldn’t work for me - I’d have to process stuff even quicker then!! ��