SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 10th June 2013, 23:44

Default Re: Volunteers needed for new social anxiety charity!

Cheers Hippo, I hope it all goes well then. As I say, I'll probably be happy to partake in the buddy scheme if it goes ahead.
Old 10th June 2013, 23:53

Mood
Goofy

Good stuff Poster - please feel free to email us expressing your interest in becoming a buddy, this will help us determine the number of people who are interested in volunteering to be a buddy and also make it easier to get in touch with you when we are ready to start the scheme.

The email is: info@sashgroup.org

Old 12th June 2013, 00:32

Mood
Goofy

Hey no-one75 - we'd be delighted to have you on board!
Old 18th June 2013, 23:12

Mood
Goofy

Hello all! The (still unnamed) SA charity will be holding a talk in London on Monday the 24th about social anxiety and medications. Here is some more info:

Next Monday (June 24th) we will host a talk on "medications for social anxiety". The talk will start at 6.30pm and will end at 8pm.
The venue is Cass Business School (106 Bunhill Row, London EC1Y 8TZ). Nearest tube station is Old Street on the Northern Line.

If you would like to book a place, please email us back. Pre-booking is required: info@sashgroup.org

The talk will be given by Dr Andrea Malizia, psychiatrist and expert in medications for social anxiety. He was part of the team that wrote the NICE clinical guidelines for treating social anxiety, so he is one of the best people we can get to talk about medications.

There is a £6 attendance fee, payable at the entrance. All the money will go to the newly created social anxiety charity, to be used for future events and activities.

If you want to participate but are concerned that you may feel too anxious on the day, please email us - we may be able to help you. For example, we will have volunteers who can meet you at the underground or at the bus stop and walk with you to the venue.

You can sign up for the talk even if you are not 100% certain to attend.

To give you an idea of the numbers, we are expecting about 40-50 people to attend. However, this is only an estimate - we will see how many come on the day! The room can accomodate about 90 maximum.

We hope that this talk contributes to reduce the impact that social anxiety has on people's lives.

We look forward to seeing you there!
Old 19th June 2013, 23:32

Hi teck,
If you want, we can pass Dr Malizia your query about where Andrea is practising now.
If you want us to do this, please email me on stefano@sashgroup.org
Best,
Stefano
Old 22nd June 2013, 00:35

Mood
Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny happy hippo
the new uk social anxiety charity, recently set up to focus on social anxiety in the country, is looking for volunteers to help on a variety of ongoing projects.

We are currently looking for volunteers in the following areas:

- writing/researching a range of topics related to social anxiety, for publication on the charity website. This would involve online-based research and the ability to summarize information, but it does not require any professional writing skills. You should be able to contribute no less than 4 hours a week to this role and to start immediately.

- sa buddies scheme. We are looking for sa sufferers who have good awareness of their condition to join our sa buddies scheme. As a buddy, you would be put in touch with another sufferer, in order to be in regular contact with them, for a given period time (minimum 6 months), via email, penpal, instant messaging, telephone, or in person. The scheme will be launched later this year. At this stage we are only asking for an expression of interest.

- fundraisers
o volunteers with professional fundraising experience, to contribute to setting up the charity’s fundraising strategy
o volunteers for fundraising events. For example, bike rides, walks, abseils etc.

- legal advice. Volunteers with practical experience of legal matters (ideally, but not necessarily, charity law)

- welfare / benefits. Volunteers with experience / knowledge of the uk benefits and welfare system

- lobbying/campaigning. Volunteers with experience in political lobbying/campaigning to help with the charity’s social anxiety public awareness goals.

- digital copywriter. Volunteer with experience designing and optimizing website content.

- graphic designer. Volunteer with graphic design experience to help us design graphic content and the charity’s monthly newsletter.

Your role will be supported by the permanent members of the charity. Face to face interaction is not necessary for any of these roles.

If you would like to volunteer, please contact info@sashgroup.org

we would also love to hear your stories of your personal experiences with sa. If you are happy to write about this, please do send us your stories - your personal details will of course not be revealed. Stories can be as long or short as you wish and about any aspect of your social anxiety
im new here, i would love to have a buddy. I am a 21 year old male from the uk, a buddy of similar age would be preferred
Old 22nd June 2013, 01:15

Mood
Goofy

Hi Defiance21 - the buddy scheme won't be up and running for another few months yet, but we will keep you posted! If you fancy volunteering to be a buddy yourself, please email us at: info@sashgroup.org

Old 28th June 2013, 17:22

Is it still possible to volunteer? I would be interested in involvement with the website content.
Old 29th June 2013, 00:28

Mood
Goofy

Hey socialreject- we actually have enough volunteers for the website content at the moment, but we do still need help with the other roles. We'd love to have your personal stories of SA if you don't mind sharing them (your identity will of course be kept private).

Thanks for asking, and if things change, I will let you know

Old 29th June 2013, 02:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Happy Hippo
Hey socialreject- we actually have enough volunteers for the website content at the moment, but we do still need help with the other roles. We'd love to have your personal stories of SA if you don't mind sharing them (your identity will of course be kept private).

Thanks for asking, and if things change, I will let you know

ok i certainly have a lot of personal stories. Just to put it out there, i'm good with video editing if you happen to ever need any sort of footage edited in the future for the website
Old 29th June 2013, 07:12

Mood
Goofy

That's good to know, thanks socialreject-!
Old 11th July 2013, 12:56

Mood
Goofy

Dear all,

The Social Anxiety Foundation (the new UK charity dedicated to social anxiety) needs your help to decide on the "tagline" that should go with the charity name. Please offer your ideas.

A £20 Amazon voucher will be awarded to one of the people who proposed the winning tagline.

Click here: www.surveymonkey.com/s/SAFtagline

Thank you,
Stefano and the Social Anxiety Foundation team
Old 11th July 2013, 17:06

Mood
Dreaming

Great to hear you have settled on a name. I have voted
Old 12th July 2013, 13:24

Mood
Goofy

Cheers Amber!!
Old 14th August 2013, 15:36

Mood
Angry

A bit late here but i have sent an email to volunteer
Old 15th August 2013, 11:49

Mood
Goofy

^ Nice one angeleyes!!
Old 15th August 2013, 13:44

Hi, I've just sent an e-mail saying I'd really like to get involved
Old 15th August 2013, 22:56

Mood
Goofy

^ glad to hear it db838!
Old 1st September 2013, 16:44

The buddy scheme in particular sounds a great idea. I'd like to help with this charity in some form.
Old 10th September 2013, 12:21

Mood
Goofy

Hey Morgana, just drop us an email if you'd like to become a buddy!
Old 26th September 2013, 19:21

.............. when will the SAUK Charity shops start springing up on our high streets?
Old 26th September 2013, 20:37

Mood
Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
.............. when will the SAUK Charity shops start springing up on our high streets?
Gosh, never even thought of that! Would be amazing!
Old 12th October 2013, 01:55

How is this going? Any updates, I'd love to be a part still
Old 16th October 2013, 14:01

Mood
Goofy

Hey Poster! The charity is still very much going and we have come along way. But there's still quite a lot more to be done as you can imagine. If you are interested in volunteering, the best thing is to email us and let us know!
Old 19th October 2013, 17:51
Co-Administrator

Hello

Any news on how the setting up of the buddy scheme is going? I'm still interested in being a buddy
Old 20th October 2013, 03:37

Mood
Balanced

If you ever need any digital artworks for your website or articles etc., i'd be happy to donate some of mine for this purpose. I'll email you a link to my work :-)
Old 21st October 2013, 20:49

HI shiny happy hippo

I think another idea you could take into consideration is to contact MPs in towns around
the country (or city's) or councillors to get them to help, by putting buildings to one side where people with SA could meet, on a friendship basis (get as much help as you can, so help can be gotten to people with SA as soon as possible, put across

That people or dying from this mental health condition, and possible not on a small scale
prolonged alcohol addiction - leading to seizure, liver damage and death

I've suffered seizures from alcohol withdrawal to cover up my SA, My counsellor told me
of a young man who died from liver failure because of using it too cover up is SA, he was in is mid thirty's, as you no people or committing suicide because they cant cope with the depression and stress it causes on a daily basis, I've read of one person on this site

How big is this, three examples of many ? how many people die year on year

if you highlight this and the toll sa can take on society, bereaved parents, hospital so on that have to deal with people who have gone down the wrong path because of this

In this way you could speed up the process to achieve what you want (getting help from people with influence)

Hope you create a big thing, its about time this illness was given more attention, nothing will be achieved if no action is taken
Old 26th October 2013, 14:31

Mood
Sweettooth

Fantastic news.. Ive sent you an email. Very interested in helping out with the Buddy Scheme
Old 28th October 2013, 00:20

Mood
Goofy

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for your suggestions, comments and support! The charity is still very much going ahead, we are getting there, though many of us on the committee have been a bit busy over the summer months.
We're all very excited about the buddy scheme - we just need to make sure that we set it up properly, with proper checks and balances.

On another note, we are hoping to hold an SA film night in London in early December - it would be great if some of you would come along! We will of course keep you posted!
Old 10th November 2013, 17:04

Mood
Cool

I wouldn't have minded helping out with the web area of things but I understand that you guys are already covered in that area so would also like to be part of the buddy scheme if you still need people. Hopefully I can help others the same way I have helped myself up to this point. Hope it's all still going well.