SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th November 2017, 21:19

Default Using YouTube videos to help you feel less anxious

Do you ever find yourself using YouTube videos as a bit of exposure therapy - like when arachnophobia sufferers are shown pictures of spiders before they introduce the real thing, but for SAers? I've been watching a lot of videos of people in pubs, cafés, markets etc; watching things intended for ESL learners about how to order drinks in an english pub, cafe etc; of situations I feel anxious about.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Old 18th November 2017, 21:47

Default Re: Using YouTube videos to help you feel less anxious

Was it helpful?

I was watching some pickup pranks videos, that was kinda hard to watch, I feel nervous watching it. Maybe I am jealous as well.
Old 20th November 2017, 11:50

I watch quite a lot of YouTube videos. Most nights actually. I used to watch a man who helped himself through Social Anxiety (I forget his name sadly, but I know he has a short black beard. He's fairly young, I'd say). He talks well and discusses a few similar situations that I've also found myself in. However, I had to turn them off after a bit as he usually goes down the path/presumption of saying you hate yourself e.t.c... I don't! I never have done! It's how I'm perceived and treated is what I hate - hence why I am the way I am!

I tend to watch a lot of gaming videos on YouTube and listening to the commentators as 'makeshift' friends. One of them I've been watching for more than six years, now... I even watch one person on Twitch who streams anywhere between two and four nights a week. I interact with him via chat on most streams. I class that as a bit of 'exposure therapy'...in a way.

I also watch some trucking vlogs on YouTube of real drivers in sleeper cabs which interests me. It's a job I'd like to do as it would just be me and the open road. Having no commitments makes it ideal for me. However, the deliveries and talking to people again is something that's always put me off...
Old 20th November 2017, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman
I even watch one person on Twitch who streams anywhere between two and four nights a week. I interact with him via chat on most streams. I class that as a bit of 'exposure therapy'...in a way.
I haven't interacted at all with any YouTubers - I guess that might be something for me to try.

Old 20th November 2017, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman
I also watch some trucking vlogs on YouTube of real drivers in sleeper cabs which interests me. It's a job I'd like to do as it would just be me and the open road. Having no commitments makes it ideal for me. However, the deliveries and talking to people again is something that's always put me off...
I do like videos of people doing or training to do all sorts of jobs like medicine, teaching, mundane jobs etc although I wouldn't want to do or be able to do many of them.

Old 20th November 2017, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
Was it helpful?
Feels helpful although it hasn't made me go out into the offline world to interact with people and places any more frequently yet.

Old 21st November 2017, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by slrrrrp
I haven't interacted at all with any YouTubers - I guess that might be something for me to try.
I do recommend it! I will be honest, it took me a good couple of months to pluck up enough courage to interact with this particular Twitch livestreamer, but now that I do, I'm commenting in most streams he does. He doesn't always reply to me purely because various people comment along with me in the chat section, but it's always nice to be acknowledged. Not as an 'attention seeking' thing, but nice to know your contributions are actually worth it.

Generally speaking, I don't comment on YouTube videos and haven't for the last few years. I find Twitch is better in this respect as you're commenting on a livestream where there's a chance your contribution could help the streamer in some way (if it's a game) but to a YouTube video, it's already pre-recorded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slrrrrp
I do like videos of people doing or training to do all sorts of jobs like medicine, teaching, mundane jobs etc although I wouldn't want to do or be able to do many of them.
It's whatever 'floats your boat' as such! Sometimes the mundane things often make the most entertaining videos... That might just be me, though!

For me, as I said, I quite enjoy watching videos/vlogs made by long distance truckers as I like motoring. One of them only lives about 20/25 miles from me! I've never actually seen him in real life but I can relate to pretty much all of the roads he uses on his 'local' deliveries. There was one video about two months ago where he was on the same road I was - almost at the same time one morning! I was on my way to work. Looking at the time code on his video, he was only about three minutes behind me! It would have been weird to see me in my car in one of his videos!