SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th November 2017, 22:32

Mood
Lurking

Default Feeling awkward due to my accent...

I've lived in a city for 25 years that isn't my home town, and my accent (that i've never lost) is very, very different from the locals here. I still get comments about it and asked on a regular basis if i'm just here on holiday etc.

I feel very aware of sounding different and it's a problem every time i open my mouth in public. Work is ok and dealing with strangers, but on a social level like being in a pub our out with my husband's friends, i'm very aware of being "different" and it's making me self-conscious.

Does anyone else have this odd issue?
Old 18th November 2017, 23:21

Default Re: Feeling awkward due to my accent...

I didn't know you were a Londoner GI

No one really comments on my accent up here unless I mention where I'm from. I'm a little self-conscious about it at times, particularly at work as I do pronounce some words very differently (glass, bath, grass, etc).
Old 19th November 2017, 13:40

Mood
Tired

I agree with vaxjo. The only reason people might comment on something like an accent is to to try and break the ice, or to start a new thread for an existing conversation. 9 times out of 10 people are not intending to make you feel different or self-conscious, they're just using an observation as a way to get a conversation started. I'm assuming that nobody's passed any criticism.
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:06

Mood
Lurking

I'm aware of it as i've been asked to "slow down a bit" when i speak, been told by my elderly next door neighbour that she can't understand a word i say, plus mimicked by my husband.
Old 22nd November 2017, 13:32

^ A lot of people naturally speak fast though. And if you're unused to hearing a particular accent it can sound faster too. I've had people mimic me but I just think they mean it in a good natured way.
Old 22nd November 2017, 22:54

I love accents. I don't think it's meant as a criticism most of the time. Also I tend to mimic them a bit unconsciously when they are new to my ears. I always feel you can't really get away with using local dialect words though, when you're not from a place and don't have the accent. It sounds wrong.