SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th November 2017, 23:32

Mood
Lurking

Default Feeling awkward due to my accent...

I've lived in a city for 25 years that isn't my home town, and my accent (that i've never lost) is very, very different from the locals here. I still get comments about it and asked on a regular basis if i'm just here on holiday etc.

I feel very aware of sounding different and it's a problem every time i open my mouth in public. Work is ok and dealing with strangers, but on a social level like being in a pub our out with my husband's friends, i'm very aware of being "different" and it's making me self-conscious.

Does anyone else have this odd issue?
Old 18th November 2017, 23:53

Default Re: Feeling awkward due to my accent...

A different accent makes my ears perk up. I love accents though. Although I tend automatically to mimic accents.

Recently I went up to Leeds and someone could not understand me when I was spelling out my email address. It was funny.

"M-O"
"Emma?"
"No...M-O"
"Emma?
"Nooo.. The letter M and the letter O!"
Old 19th November 2017, 00:21
Co-Administrator

I didn't know you were a Londoner GI

No one really comments on my accent up here unless I mention where I'm from. I'm a little self-conscious about it at times, particularly at work as I do pronounce some words very differently (glass, bath, grass, etc).
Old 19th November 2017, 14:13

Mood
Happy

I love it. I have a very common as muck generic SE accent. When I lived in Newcastle people kept calling me posh

Having a different accent is a great way to start a conversation as most people seem to be interested in diff accents and then that leads to talking about where you or they come from.

I can see it it would be a priblem if you want to fit in, me Ive always liked to be a bit of an outsider.
Old 19th November 2017, 14:40

Mood
Breezy

I agree with vaxjo. The only reason people might comment on something like an accent is to to try and break the ice, or to start a new thread for an existing conversation. 9 times out of 10 people are not intending to make you feel different or self-conscious, they're just using an observation as a way to get a conversation started. I'm assuming that nobody's passed any criticism.
Old 22nd November 2017, 13:06

Mood
Lurking

I'm aware of it as i've been asked to "slow down a bit" when i speak, been told by my elderly next door neighbour that she can't understand a word i say, plus mimicked by my husband.
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:32
Co-Administrator

^ A lot of people naturally speak fast though. And if you're unused to hearing a particular accent it can sound faster too. I've had people mimic me but I just think they mean it in a good natured way.
Old 22nd November 2017, 23:54

I love accents. I don't think it's meant as a criticism most of the time. Also I tend to mimic them a bit unconsciously when they are new to my ears. I always feel you can't really get away with using local dialect words though, when you're not from a place and don't have the accent. It sounds wrong.
Old 23rd November 2017, 13:21

Someone I know adopted the local suspiciously quickly after moving.

I think they did it to fit in as it would get tiring constantly having it referred to or feeling like an outsider (depending on the two places involved).
Old 25th November 2017, 10:11

Mood
Veggedout

I live only a half hour drive from where I was born and I get 'you don't sound to local, where you from, Newcastle (which am not)?'
And when I've lived down south I was always getting comments , often laughed at for my accent.
Old 26th November 2017, 23:20

Mood
Happy

I really wanted to gain an impenetrable Newcastle accent from the time I lived there, but never lost my horrible generic SE accent.