SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th September 2017, 16:26

Default How martial arts helps a little with my social anxiety

Me waffling on about how martial arts helps a little with my anxiety

I've suffered with social anxiety for years, and it almost ruined my life. At one point I was even too scared to go to the local supermarket... I'd travel miles to a smaller shop as i knew it would be less busy. Then I decided I'd had enough, I couldn't continue living like a hermit, avoiding people all the time.

I decided I really wanting to push myself to do something. I did something crazy and booked some kickboxing classes at a local martial arts school. I figured if i could do this...then I could pretty much face anything, lol!

I almost talked myself out of it many many times, but I amazed myself by pushing myself and actually turning up for the first class despite feeling as though I was going to have a heart attack with panic and anxiety.

On my way to the first class I almost turned and went back home (on more than one occasion), but eventually I found myself standing outside the door to the martial arts school. I could here people inside, the noises... the music...my heart felt as though it was about to jump out of my mouth. I was physically shaking and felt sick! I walked through the doors and felt as though my legs would give way beneath me. "What the hell am I doing here?" I asked myself. But boy was I in for a surprise!!! Everybody was really really friendly and welcoming...it was nothing at all like I imagined it would be. There was a really good mix of beginners and more advanced students, and everyone was really nice.

Everything was a bit of a blur, but before I knew it I was there on the mats, having an absolutely amazing time!!! For that one hour class, I was having such a good time learning new techniques that my social anxiety was almost gone. I felt awesome for having done this, I'd had such a good time that I subscribed to the school and attended more classes, progressing from beginner to white belt yellow stripe.

6 months later and I'm now going to 4-6 classes a week and recently recently had my grading to my yellow belt.

I'm not saying my social anxiety has gone (I wish), but I think that taking part in martial arts has definitely helped. I just forget about everything and all anxiety for that one hour when I'm on the mats, focusing instead on learning new techniques and trying to better myself.

Looking back now I'm so pleased that I didn't turn around and go home on that first day, as I absolutely love it and find myself rushing home from work eager to get to class.

The reason I'm sharing this is that I'm kind of hoping it will inspire other people who also suffer with SA. A lot of the time the thing that stops us from doing things is that first hurdle, taking that first step, and fear of the unknown. We'll often over think things and blow it all out of proportion in our own head.

https://youtu.be/PwGSCcNrN3g
Old 19th September 2017, 11:01

Smile Re: How martial arts helps a little with my social anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
That is so great and inspiring! Well done!!!

It's what I've planning to do as well. However, I will have university and I will need to find a part-time job to manage to pay for the classes. And having uni and a job won't leave me much time for martial arts... That's a bit discouraging, but I will try to figure this all out.
I wanted to take martial arts classes for such a long time now...

Are you now a super kickboxer champion Van Damme?
Hah ha! Not quite Van Damme

But yeah you should give it a go. Like most things, walking through the door for the first time is the scariest thing, but once you're there you'll realise it's not as scary as you thought it would be and you'll love it

I love learning the new techniques and training my body to do certain moves (kinda a bit like learning to dance, lol!) Plus it keeps me fit and helps me feel a little more confident.

Most martial arts schools will offer a free trial class, or some kind of special offer so that you can test the water to see if you're going to like it.
I think I paid £25 for 6 weeks beginner classes when I first started.
I work full time and also work freelance most evenings so I don't have much time too. But I still manage to find
a few hours a week to go to my MA classes (usually an hour on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday). You should try it once you're settled at uni and a job
Old 21st September 2017, 08:20

Default Re: How martial arts helps a little with my social anxiety

Thanks Dean

It really is strange how we build these things up in our own head and over think all the negative things that may happen. It just shows that we won't really know until we try.

Hopefully this will inspire others
Old 21st September 2017, 08:37
Banned at own request

Great stuff, you're very brave!
And welcome
Old 21st September 2017, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine
Great stuff, you're very brave!
And welcome
Thanks Clementine
Old 21st September 2017, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebka
Aw man, awesome! And congrats on the yellow belt! Next up, goldbelt, and before you know it the coveted black belt

And welcome to the forum!
Thanks Rebka
Old 23rd September 2017, 20:14

Mood
Insomnious

Hiya. Wait, I mean hi ya!

Being able to beat the shit out of anyone as a cure for social anxiety. Makes sense. Nah, I guess the main thing is doing something with other people and proving to yourself that you can do it. That takes more bravery than roundhouse kicking someone in the face.
Old 25th September 2017, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluorescent Grey
Hiya. Wait, I mean hi ya!

Being able to beat the shit out of anyone as a cure for social anxiety. Makes sense. Nah, I guess the main thing is doing something with other people and proving to yourself that you can do it. That takes more bravery than roundhouse kicking someone in the face.
Hah ha! Love the pic
True, for me it mostly about pushing those boundaries and proving to myself that I can do it. But yeah thrashing it out for an hour definitely helps release some of the SA frustration, lol!