SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th July 2020, 13:22

Question Wheat/gluten sensitivity?

Anyone here think or know they have this?

It's dawned on me very recently that almost every time I eat things like bread or wheat-based cereals, I get acid indigestion. Shame, because I love bread!

Having read around it a bit online, it may be a sign of wheat or gluten sensitivity. Also, I've had mysterious bodily aches and pains, and brain fog, since age 17 and nothing has touched them. I've just read that such a sensitivity/intolerance can cause these in some people.

Does anyone have some good advice on how to change your diet, and also could you divulge what symptoms do you get if you eat wheat or similar?

Thanks!
Old 8th July 2020, 18:27

Default Re: Wheat/gluten sensitivity?

^ I have it very mildly (although I can get random attacks at any time - I had one a few days ago despite being careful). I don't have to avoid wheat and cereals, but I do have to limit their intake and be careful not to be too active immediately afterwards.

Primarily, my symptoms are acid reflux and/or trapped wind (the latter to the point of being doubled up in pain and unable to move). I did give up wholemeal bread in favour of "both in one" which seemed to help, but still can't exceed four slices in a day (I've recently been on detox so reverted to wholemeal with no ill effects - but they may be because of other things I wasn't ingesting on the diet, like dairy).

I don't really have any answers except maybe to keep a food diary and see if certain combinations affect you, or if you're more susceptible at certain times of the day, so you can manage it without completely cutting out foods you love. I hate to say this as I know you're relatively young, but it's something which never affected me until I was in my 40s and I wonder if the body struggles more in processing certain foods with age? I've also heard, anecdotally, that digestive issues of this kind are not uncommon in Aspies. For me too, I've always believed stress was a factor and life changes have reduced the frequency but it hasn't gone completely.

Sent from my SM-A105F using Tapatalk
Old 8th July 2020, 19:34

Mood
Cynical

Yes I would second the food diary idea, then you can also look at what you are eating alongside the wheat products and if it could be something else that's bothering you.

Supposedly sourdough bread can be easier for some people to digest, so you could give that a try maybe too.
Old 8th July 2020, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey123
Having read around it a bit online, it may be a sign of wheat or gluten sensitivity. Also, I've had mysterious bodily aches and pains, and brain fog, since age 17 and nothing has touched them. I've just read that such a sensitivity/intolerance can cause these in some people.

Thanks!
Same, I've been heavily tracking the cause. And the problem is it can come convulated. If you are unemployed you are more susceptible and vulnerable to stuff, particuarly inflammation. But I have found out I am lactose intolerant, problems with tomatoes. And the jury is still out on wheat. I had a really bad episode for 5 days last week- and I had quite heavily ate wheat. Incidentally some sa people do have coeliac disease.
Old 9th July 2020, 11:46

Thanks, folks, for all your advice and thoughts. I'll keep a food diary then and see what happens.

@ Dougella - yeah I've heard that about sourdough (which seems to be getting increasingly popular), I may give that a try later if the cutting bread out completely works

@ Laurel - do you mean you get the bodily pains too? If so, have these improved since you changed your diet? I also have issues with tomatoes - fresh ones are fine, but the strong, concentrated tinned ones give me terrible acid.

@ Midlife - thanks for this info, very encouraging to hear!
Old 9th July 2020, 13:33

Mood
Cynical

I would say be careful about completely cutting out wheat unless you know for sure it's that causing you problems and if you're ok with maybe not being able to eat it again at all. For some people if they completely stop eating wheat for a while if they try to introduce it again they have a much more severe reaction, maybe the body just gets used to not having to digest it, I'm not sure.

Maybe just reduce it first and see if you can tolerate small amounts of certain things before completely cutting it out.
Old 9th July 2020, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey123
@ Laurel - do you mean you get the bodily pains too? If so, have these improved since you changed your diet? I also have issues with tomatoes - fresh ones are fine, but the strong, concentrated tinned ones give me terrible acid.
Yeah apparently 14% of Italians have problems with tomatoes which is funny, yeah I think tomato puree rather than fresh ones maybe.

Bodily pains, I get something, always had something. While I am unemployed I am doing some strong research into it. I'm not entirely convinced it's wheat, I suspect caffeine is agitating the situation.
Old 12th July 2020, 23:33

YES. Very much so. I beleive many people today are finding this to be an issue and if not so much when younger, as they get older it is more so.

I also find it interesting and frustrating how anxiety plays havoc on the digestive system. Very much overlooked in the medical industry when dealing with people whom have varying degrees of mental disorders.

A taxed liver can see me predisposed to such reactions - wheat not only leading me to symptoms that plague my skin, but also bloated gut where nutritional absorption is becomes an issue. This leads me into a very unhealthy body state and depressive mindset. Negative states of energy.

I really got to nail my diet, but the addiction and compulsion of comfort eating if quite hard to counter. I am a person of extreme. The best I have ever done we go Vegan for two years. I was the healthiest I have ever been. Not saying it is for everyone and even care less to make a point our of it ... but for me, that was my experience. I gave up on it because of too much stress in my life + the decades of unhealthy eating making it hard to maintain. That said, I am looking to go back to that style of eating. One strop at a time.

Food sensitivity is a big issue with me and not just with Wheat and Gluten. The way our food system in, makes it such a chore. Get's better though once you nail that introductory / addiction cycle of withdrawal and negative behavioral patterns.

I give no advice on what others should do but can tell you that what many have said is not the way for me, I have lived well without meat and wheat ... I have learned other ways and or how to dial it in or back. I only speak from my own experience ... I already know well what works for me. I spent years on the subject of food. Once I stopped telling/preaching to others and just worked on myself ... I finally worked out what was what for me. Everyone is different. It's the doing that I have to work on. Addiction and unhealthy compulsive behavior are key points for me.
Best of luck with what your you do.