SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th February 2017, 21:19

Mood
Relaxed

Talking HI looking for understanding

Hi everyone. I'm completely new to this idea of looking on forums for a bit of advice and support. Well my names Dan and I've suffered with anxiety issues for about 12 years now. I'm on medication at the min, tried CBT, and got a very good family around me....but I'm still 'broken' . I suffer from anxiety attacks, paranoia, and obsessive compulsions. very low self esteem and have a lot of phobias when in unfamiliar settings. Even though I love my wife dearly and she is my best friend, I know she doesn't know where I'm coming from and that's mainly why I'm reaching out to you guys....hopefully youll understand more . I JUST WANT TO FEEL NORMAL AGAIN! I have a 5year old daughter who's started noticing that Daddy isn't like most other adults she knows, for example she's started to ask me why I never pick her up from school or why I don't go to daddy daughter days at school and its heart-breaking I don't want her to end up like me so any help, support, and advice I could get off you guys would me appreciated so much.
Old 6th February 2017, 22:33

Mood
Thinking

Default Re: HI looking for understanding

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum. There's some really good advice on here, people are supportive and won't judge you If I can suggest that you take some time reading through some of the posts on here. You will find that you are not alone. Anxiety is a complex issue which can be managed, but takes time to work through. Meds will help but the underlying causes need to be dealt with. Fear and phobias can be debilitating and exhausting, self esteem and confidence can reach rock bottom. We tend to beat ourselves up because things arnt as we would like them.The anxious mind distorts our perceptions and increases our fears. CBT isn't going to help long term, and in some cases wont be effective, Its a quick fix really and deals with thought processes and behaviour, rather than the root causes. Mindfulness and meditation are better solutions as are talking therapies especially person centred counselling.So difficult to explain to a child or even adults about this illness. You do need help and support and you've taken the first step, by opening up and coming on here. So you've made a good start. You need all the help and support you can get. Things will change but its going to take time patience and courage.