Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 10th June 2010, 20:55

Mood
Blah

Default Accents

Say you were attracted to someone online. Do you think you could go completely cold on them..just after hearing their accent?

Like, could you go off someone just because there accent may not match (in your opinion) the person that you see/type online?

Simple as that really. Do accents matter to you?
Old 10th June 2010, 20:56

Mood
Blah

Default Re: Accents

to me yes and thats being 100% honest :/
Old 10th June 2010, 21:11
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Accent or just the sound of their voice?

I couldn't imagine myself being attracted to someone with certain accents (wont name them so as not to offend people who have that accent) but once I'd been talking to someone a day or two I think their location/place of birth would give me a clue.
Old 10th June 2010, 21:12

Mood
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
Are you Geordie or Makem?
Why?

Dont know really. I live bang in the middle of both cities. I think i speak geordie..but im never quite sure..because..well i dont know anything. Frusty has heard my accent. He said I had a deep strong accent that did not match my online presence. Though he did say he understood 98% of what I said on the phone. I've spoke to one other person on voicemail..and im paranoid of my accent now..as i think I scared her off lol.
Old 10th June 2010, 21:13

Mood
Lonely

not at all , it wont bother me
Old 10th June 2010, 21:14
Banned (at own request)

not really applicable because i would make sure i knew where they were from first so id have an idea . There are certain parts of the country that i dont like and simply wouldnt go there . i know thats tarring everyone with the same brush but there are certain places i dont like . i wont say where at risk of offending
Old 10th June 2010, 21:15

Mood
Musical

Nah it wouldn't put me off to be honest
Old 10th June 2010, 21:15

Quite the opposite. I love hearing different accents.
Old 10th June 2010, 21:17

Wouldn't bother me one bit to be honest, it's the person I'm interested in not the accent!
Old 10th June 2010, 21:19

Mood
Blah

Sometimes aswell I think due to nerves, emotion and depression. My voice can sound weak..and also, i try and hold back on my accent..and other times i just let it go.

I dont know..i have such a paranoid personality lol. But me personally..i could never go off someone just because their accent did not match what i thought.

When i first heard Frusty a few months back. I wasent used to his accent at all. But after a few times of hearing him..it's not something i even notice..and i understand him clearly.
Old 10th June 2010, 21:24

My accent is strong & makes me sound completely thick, so I'd be a hypocrite if I ruled someone out on the basis of their accent. There are certain accents I'm not fond of but they wouldn't put me off a person.
Old 10th June 2010, 21:25

Mood
Blah

With me. Im not sure whether it's my accent im worried about..or whether my voice just grates on people..because im soo depressed. Do ya know what i mean? Myabe my voice is just too boring and doesnt have much varying tone to it?

I suppose more of ya will find out when I get my phone..and start hounding you's out on my walks.

The biggest fear/worry I have..is it may have been possible that i even scared someone off with my voice. I hope this is just me being paranoid..because i'd like to think it just isn't fair for someone to be scared off by someones voice. meh
Old 10th June 2010, 22:09

There are some accents that I would find a bit off-putting. I don't think it would be enough that I'd completely lose interest in someone I'd previously thought was great, but I don't know for sure.

Foreign accents I'm usually cool with. They tend to sound interesting. Most of the accents I don't like are from parts of England.
Old 10th June 2010, 22:15
Banned at own request

Mood
Relaxed

There's a few regional accents that would put me off, not many though.
Old 10th June 2010, 22:36

I like some more than others, but it wouldn't bother me at all what accent someone has.
Old 10th June 2010, 22:40

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveGirl
I love accents so much and enjoy hearing different influences in people's.
I think voices are very important and i'm clichéd because i'm a sucker for a deep voice on a man or French accent on anyone
I love Northern accents as there's more variety but I can't imagine going off someone purely for their accent. I would find it hard taking someone seriously if they sounded like that Joe bloke who sounds like he's sucked on balloons.
I don't like my voice but i've been told it's nice by others. My accent is scouse/northern with the odd southern pronunciation now.
I don't like the Brummie accent or strong N Ireland accent as they grate.

i wish i had a deeper voice, i find it quite embarassing admitting this

i HAVE had some LLLLLOVELY feedback about my voice from you fine sauk residents tho, i suppose someday i'll be able to use that to accept my voice a bit more.

i think in the past few years, as i've been out among people more, i've lost most of any pissyness i might have had about voices/accents in other people. i think i had a tendency to make negative associations about the accents of people if i'd met a lot of arseholes with a voice like theirs, but i'm sort of more "educated" now.

your voice is pretty cool, if i remember, cavey
Old 11th June 2010, 00:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSeeker
Do accents matter to you?
I love accents! If anything, hearing someone's accent after meeting them online would probably make me more attracted to them. Of course, some are nicer than others... but I doubt I could go off someone because of that.

Not sure I like my french accent though... whenever I record myself talking, it makes me cringe.
Old 11th June 2010, 00:31

T'is funny actually coz someone from here once told me they thought I'd sound like a cross between Mariella fostrop and Danni bear (spelt totally wrong btw!) They got the shock of their life when I opend me gob!!
I've got a propper London accent, Not cockney mind.
Old 11th June 2010, 00:31

I used to think I didnt have an accent as im from south england (home counties), as its sort of the standard way english people are meant to sound. Once you compare it to american you can sort of hear some kind of accent though. Im quite happy with it, its not too fancy or exciting but thats not necessarily bad in my opinion.
Old 11th June 2010, 00:35

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_mittens
Not sure I like my french accent though... whenever I record myself talking, it makes me cringe.

most people seem to love french accents! i know a french woman and she says she is actually ashamed of her accent
Old 11th June 2010, 01:02

I think one of the nicest accents is brazilian.
Old 11th June 2010, 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth brundle
most people seem to love french accents! i know a french woman and she says she is actually ashamed of her accent
I don't think my accent is as strong as people from France. Mine is lost between canadian english and french. I don't feel ashamed of it, but it makes me sound a bit like a kid in english.

I am ashamed of my Quebec accent when speaking french around french people though... but that's another story.
Old 11th June 2010, 09:29

Mood
Blah

I know some people like my accent (and I like that) but I hate hear myself. I can't stand hearing myself on an answering machine or video - so most of the videos I post I don't listen back to I even hate listening to wee girls from N.I. I think to myself.. do we really sound like that??? GOD! I'd rather hear someone from anywhere else in the world or even the republic.
Old 11th June 2010, 09:40

I find there are certain accents that I find quite attractive but I hope that simply anybody's accent alone wouldn't put me off anyone. In fact, I waggle my bottom at accent snobs
Old 11th June 2010, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknowing
I had a close friend from Quebec, and she said that French people seemed to look down upon French Canadian's use of the language.
I've been told the same thing by a French Canadian, she said that in Canada they speak an 'old fashioned' form of french.

I find a French accent very bleugh on a man and very oh la la on a woman
Old 11th June 2010, 10:10

Mood
Alienated

no, their is no accent that i dislike so as their are a few i really like it could only end up being a bonus if they spoke in one of those.
Old 11th June 2010, 10:21

Mood
Fine

I live about 8 miles from Newcastle, so i guess im considered a Geordie, but i dont think i sound like one.

Whilst i was out in town a few years back, an old man asked me for directions in his broad geordie accent. After giving him the directions, he said "thanks lad, but what the hell kind of geordie are you"? . Needless to say i was rather puzzled, i have lived here all my life and i have never been questioned about my accent until then, and i havent since. Im rather glad i dont have a broad geordie accent, as personally i cant stand it and it sounds rather pikey. (Im allowed to say that cos i live here )

I wouldnt be put off by anyone elses accent though, unless it was so broad i couldnt understand the words coming out of their mouth. As for foreign accents, i love them on women! Dutch, Czech, Hungarian and Russian accents are my favourites
Old 11th June 2010, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert Name Here
I live about 8 miles from Newcastle, so i guess im considered a Geordie, but i dont think i sound like one.
I have cousins from Sunderland and their accent is really soft compaired to the people I've met from Newcastle.
Old 11th June 2010, 10:33

I wouldn't say I'd go cold on them but I do think of them as a completely different personality. :S

Like when I'm talking to someone via text/msn/email for a while I build up in my head what I would imagine them to sound like/look like/whatever... Almost all of the time they will turn out completely different.
Old 11th June 2010, 10:57

Mood
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNotAPorkChop
I wouldn't say I'd go cold on them but I do think of them as a completely different personality. :S

Like when I'm talking to someone via text/msn/email for a while I build up in my head what I would imagine them to sound like/look like/whatever... Almost all of the time they will turn out completely different.
yup thats why I like at least saying hi to someone on phone/voice or whatever.. no point imagining something its not
Closed Thread