SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 3rd February 2017, 22:53

Mood
Melancholy

Default Jumping In

Hi I am Ryan, I suffer with social anxiety and my main fear is people judging me negatively all the time, I avoid anything social and can't use public transport.

I manage to go to gym twice a week but even that I find very difficult.

For example yesterday I was happily working out on the stepper and this guy comes and uses the stepper opposite me, he takes one look at me and then gets off and goes to use the stepper next to me, obviously he didn't want to be looking at my ugly face whilst he was working out then he blatantly moves the machine well away from me like I've got the plague or something.

So incensed I get off and use another piece of equipment, 5 minutes later the guy gets off the stepper and I go back and use the same stepper I was using till he came along, I made sure he saw me.

That incident ruined my training session and my day, I am angry at him and myself.

I wish I had said something to him, but I hate confrontations but now I can't stop thinking about it and what I should have done.

Would you have said anything, moved away?

Sorry for the lengthy introduction but that is the sort of things I find most difficult.
Old 4th February 2017, 00:07

Mood
Melancholy

Default Re: Jumping In

Thank you, yeah I do have problems with over analyzing everything. A Stepper is a machine not to similar to walking up stairs, great cv (cardio vascular exercise) I also have depression and exercise is great for it, I love exercise, it's being around people I hate, that is why I seek out solitary machines away from people and hate it when anyone uses the machine next to me. Thank you for your welcome
Old 4th February 2017, 00:12

Mood
Fine

Hiya Ryan welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find lots of great advice and people here who understand how you'r feeling.
Old 4th February 2017, 07:31

I think it's something to do with personal space and not because you're ugly.

I know I would prefer to go on a machine further away. The same as if there are lots of empty seats on the bus or train you wouldn't usually sit right next to someone if there was a more comfortable option.

If you're sitting in the waiting room you don't usually pick a sit right next to someone when there are others spare.
Old 4th February 2017, 16:39

Mood
Sad

Welcome Jumping In.