SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 5th May 2017, 19:12

Default Would you notice a speeding camera flash in daytime?

About a week and a bit ago, i had to go drop a customer from our garage (basically 10 minutes up the road). I've only been driving a few months and my sense of direction is awful, so i dropped him then completely forgot how to get back. I had no phone or money & i started to panic like an idiot, I can't even say some of the incidents that happened but in short i wasn't thinking straight ended up on a one way main road and had to pull into the side quickly & then sat there panicking as people were around laughing & some guy approached me to tell me that's why it's a one way road then after i finally managed to get myself out everyone started clapping. After that i just lost it, i was driving in circles i had got well into SE central London, in places I'd never been in my life. All these main roads were 20mph, I was panicking so much i don't know if i kept any eye on my speed to make sure i was dead 20mph but at times it was a complete open road, seems ridiculous they made them at 20mph but i remember there being so much traffic most of the time anyway & i never saw a flash. Just waiting till the 9th anxiously, which is 2 weeks from the day to see if i get a NIP, apparently i can't get fined or points after that time. I left to drop this person at 1:30pm and finally got home to 5:30pm, the ridiculous thing is i was going in circles. I must have went through every single SE borough except the actual one i needed to get back to. It just shows how messed up & irrational i can think when i start panicking. My absent mindedness is the worst I've ever been, I'm barely sleeping a few hours on day's I'm working. I really lost my confidence since, just can't believe i could get that lost & not even stop and think. Has anyone ever got done by a speed camera and not noticed the flash? I know if i went through two of them, that's six point's and my license revoked. I have no idea if anyone reported me for being on that one way road a bus saw me & plenty of people were gathering. The fact i managed to turn right onto a one way road where traffic was coming then pull into the corner by parked cars is beyond me, If i can panic and start having an attack because i got lost and do something like that i think i need a break from driving till i can sort my head out
Old 5th May 2017, 19:24

Mood
Relaxed

Default Re: Would you notice a speeding camera flash in daytime?

I do find it strange that people feel they have been done by speed cameras. Speed limits are there to protect pedestrians, people speeding endanger the lives of other people. Speed cameras are there to remind people driving incorrectly to drive correctly. It's not a game.

This isn't directed at you personally by the way, just drivers in general.
Old 5th May 2017, 19:38

Speed cameras aren't always turned on and if it's the first time you've been caught you'll probably get away with a speed awareness course. I've had loads of times I've thought I might have been flashed by a camera and I never got the letter, the only time I did get caught didn't notice the flash.

As far as getting lost goes the best thing to is just stop to get your bearings. In London there are road signs everywhere and you can always look at the buses to see where they're going to get a rough idea of where you need to go. I would be a good idea to a map to learn where all the main roads go to/from as well.
Old 5th May 2017, 20:59

Mood
Lurking

You would definitely notice the flash, even in the daylight. But remember that the camera mechanism flashes, even when their is no film cassette in the machine. (Unless it is one of the new digital ones and they work all the time as their is no film just a direct link to the storage.

Very unusual to have a camera on a 20mph road, as there has to be repeater signs on the lamp posts of 20mph, every so often, otherwise if their is just the lamposts and no repeater signs the law says that it has to be a 30mph limit. Thats why on lit motorways and dual carriageways you have to have the national speed limit signs every 1/4 mile or it would become a 30 zone.
Old 5th May 2017, 23:32

Try not to worry about it. It's out of your hands now.

Not seeing a flash doesn't mean much either. A modern camera (and I expect most of the 20mph ones are) would not require a flash to operate.
Old 20th June 2017, 15:25

Not if I was too concerned about being on time for my first day at my new job.