SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 12th August 2005, 07:01
Jojo

Default SA worse with Monthly cycle?

I have a quick question to all the women out there, do you find your SA is at its worst when you are having a period? If so what can I take to calm it, every month its get so bad I feel like topping myself and my paranoid thoughts go through the roof.

Most of the time I can handle my SA as I work and try to lead a normal life, I dont have many friends and am very reticent to make new ones. But it seems that at this time every month I get really paranoid, blush at the slightest things ppl say, think they are personally getting at me even more so. However the rest of the time I can keep it under control.

Do you think SA is tied to your emotions? Just a thought!
Old 12th August 2005, 11:34
Ocean123

Default Re: SA worse with Monthly cycle?

Hi, i am defineately affected by my monthly cycle, it is a time when i am particularly emotional and sensitive to what other people say and do, my SA can be worse, and i tend to get more of the physical symptoms like dizzy and shakiness. I think SA is a very emotional disorder, all the feelings associated with it, fear, anxiety, panic, they are the emotions behind our actions, and so it makes sense that when you have your period, which is known to unbalance your emotions due to all the hormones, that the SA would be worse. Try talking to your doctor, or websites, see it as a type of PMT, i would particularly talk to your doctor as its making you feel suicidal, there are things you can take to stop you hormones getting so imbalanced around your period if you get bad pmt.
Old 12th August 2005, 12:07

Hi jojo!

Yes id definatly have to agree and say that my anxiety levels are extremely high when I am pre-menstrual. I also tend to suffer a lot of the physical aspects of anxiety too, as ocean123 said. In particular: dizzyness, increased sweating, insomnia, shakiness and the like. To help with the symptoms of pmt i find that Evening primrose oil helps as does starflower oil. If you find that your symptoms are unbearable i would reccomend seeing a doctor as the contraceptive pill may help with pmt. Also there are a number of anti-depressants (ssri's) which can help with pmt.

Hope this helps..xx
Old 12th August 2005, 23:46
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

I think my period actually helps my SA, I'm so bent over in pain with cramps and period pain that I can't think about being anxious, not that I go anywhere to be anxious.

ren
Old 13th August 2005, 14:51

Mood
Sluggish

For me lately it's the depression that's the problem. I'm used to the crabbiness and the outburst of anger I always have the day before but the last few months I've felt so low, thinking things that I shouldn't.
I wondered if part of it is diet related as my meal choices are pretty poor at the moment. I think that's also making me tired which is not helping with the crabbiness/lack of energy making me feel more down.
Old 13th August 2005, 15:20

it can go either way for me - sometimes i feel much more confident and alive when i am extra 'hormonal' (it is a slightly euphoric buzz) - other times i can have an increase in negative thoughts and very low mood and energy at that time of my cycle, which in turn makes it harder to manage my SA. my self-critical SA thoughts are often at fever-pitch the night before my period starts. so definitely where i am in my cycle influences the way my SA expresses itself, i have noticed the fluctuations for a long time.

sorry it is so bad for you jojo - mine used to be much worse than it is now too - i now take a vitamin B complex supplement which may or may not have something to do with it. i also find if i don't eat much red meat my symtoms aren't so severe. excercise is always good too - the fitter i am, the more even my mood tone is. i also find that doing something creative at that time of the month can help channel my energy if i am that highly charged. (i rarely do any of these things - but when i have done i have always noticed a difference) if you are regularly feeling suicidal i think it would be a really good idea to go and talk to your doctor about the symptoms too, and see what he/she can recommend.
Closed Thread