Reply  Post New Thread

Old 25th August 2010, 17:12

Mood
Balanced

Default Re: Inspirational quotes/sayings etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAli
"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelinus

"A man is not hurt so much by what happens, as by his opinions of what happens" - Micheal de Montaigne
"My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened" - Micheal de Montaigne

"Tomorrow do thy worst for I have lived today" - Horace

"Others are going to have their own opinion according to their belief system, so nothing they think about me is really about me, but it is about them. You may even tell me 'Hey, what you are saying is hurting me', but it is not what I am saying that is hurting you - it is that you have wounds that I touch by what I have said... you are hurting yourself."
-- Don Miguel Ruiz

“The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can
alter his life by altering his attitudes.”
William James (1842–1910)

“Habits of thinking need not be forever. One of the most significant
findings in psychology in the last twenty years is that individuals can
choose the way they think.”
Martin Seligman, Learned Optimism

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."-Sir Winston Churchill

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant"- Robert Louis Stevenson

"The man who insists upon seeing with perfect clearness before he decides, never decides. Accept life and you must accept regret." - Henri Frederic Amiel

"One reason why birds and horses are not unhappy is because they are not trying to impress other birds and horses" - Dale Carnegie

"A mature person is one who does not think only in absolutes, who is able to be objective even when deeply stirred emotionally, who has learned that there is both good and bad in all people and all things, and who walks humbly and deals charitably with the circumstances of life." - Eleanor Roosevelt
thanks for the link, i'm going to have a look at that, the intro video looks interesting
Old 26th August 2010, 00:28

Mood
Fine

"The greater the anxiety, the greater the man" - Kierkegaard.
Old 27th August 2010, 19:22

Mood
Breezy

'Life's most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?'
- Martin Luther King
Old 24th September 2010, 14:34

Mood
Breezy

'pushing the wheelbarrow is easy, it***8217;s the thinking about it which is hard.***8217; ~ Ajahn Brahmavamso
Old 24th September 2010, 20:02

"Cheer up.............. it might never happen............... what? Oh........... ermm......... pffftttt....... bye........"
Old 25th September 2010, 16:59

Mood
Breezy

'Like cars in amusement parks, our direction is often determined through collisions.' -Yahia Lababidi
Old 26th September 2010, 16:55

Mood
Torn

"There is no use trying", said Alice; "One can't believe impossible things"
"I dare say you haven't had much practice", said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes i've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Old 26th September 2010, 17:53

Mood
Bashful

I love these quotes from Anne Franks diary...

Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!
Anne Frank

I don't think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains.
Anne Frank

Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy.
Anne Frank
Old 26th September 2010, 23:42

Mood
Thinking

"An eye for an eye"

Sorry, that is a nasty one
Old 28th September 2010, 16:58

Mood
Breezy

'Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.' -Martin Luther King, Jr.
Old 11th October 2010, 14:49

Mood
Busy

Okay so please no nasty comments about where I got this quote from as I know most people generally assume, "Oh God! Not another fan girl!", as that's not the case. Being a female (and a teenager) yes I did see this movie at the cinema, but I thought the quote/ speech was really relevant. It was released when my friends and I were sitting our GCSE's and as a lot of our year group (myself included) were leaving school, it seemed to fit perfectly to what we were feeling/ experiencing:

"When we were five, they asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. Our answers were thing like astronaut, president, or in my case, a princess.

When we were ten, they asked again and we answered - rock star, cowboy, or in my case, a gold medallist. But now that we've grown up, they want a serious answer. Well, how 'bout this: who the hell knows?!

This isn't the time to make hard and fast decisions; this is the time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train and get stuck somewhere. Fall in love - a lot. Major in philosophy, because there's no way to make a career out of that. Change your mind and change it again, because nothing is permanent.

So make as many mistakes as you can. That way, someday, when they ask what we wanna be***8230; we won't have to guess. We'll know." ~Jessica's Valedictorian Speech in Twilight Saga:Eclipse

I also found this quote very inspiring when I was going through a dark patch last year (I even wrote this quote on my bedroom wall! ):
"The important thing is, not to be bitter over life's disappointments. Learn to let go of the past, and recognize that everyday won't be sunny. And when you find yourself lost in the darkness of despair, remember it's only the black of the night, you can see the stars. And those stars will lead you back home. So don't be afraid to make mistakes, to stumble and fall, cause most of the time, the greatest rewards come from doing the things that scare you the most. Maybe you'll get everything you wish for. Maybe you'll get more than you ever could have imagined. Who knows where life will take you? The road is long and in the end, the journey is the destination." ~Coach Whitey Durham One Tree Hill
Old 11th October 2010, 19:42

Mood
Breezy

For money you can have everything it is said. No, that is not true. You can buy food, but not appetite; medicine, but not health; soft beds, but not sleep; knowledge but not intelligence; glitter, but not comfort; fun, but not pleasure; acquaintances, but not friendship; servants, but not faithfulness; grey hair, but not honor; quiet days, but not peace. The shell of all things you can get for money. But not the kernel. That cannot be had for money. -Arne Garborg, writer (1851-1924)
Old 14th October 2010, 00:57

Mood
Alienated

a man at the crisis team told me as long as i am breathing things can change
Old 15th October 2010, 18:53

Mood
Breezy

'Money often costs too much.' -Ralph Waldo Emerson,
Old 18th October 2010, 01:09

Mood
Busy

"Does this darkness have a name? This cruelty, this hatred, how did it find us? Did it steal into our lives or did we seek it out and embrace it? What happened to us, that we now send our children into the World like we send young men to war, hoping for their safe return, but knowing that some will be lost along the way. When did we lose our way? Consumed by the shadows, swallowed whole by the darkness. Does this darkness have a name? Is it your name?" ~Lucas Scott One Tree Hill

"Make a wish and place it in your heart. Anything you want, everything you want. Do you have it? Good. Now believe it can come true. You never know where the next miracle is going to come from. The next smile, the next wish come true. But if you believe that it’s right around the corner, and you open up your heart and mind to the possibility of it, to the certainty of it, you just might get the thing you’re wishing for. The world is full of magic. You just have to believe in it. So make your wish. Do you have it? Good. Now believe in it, with all your heart." ~One Tree Hill cast

"I would write......
Dear Diary,
Today I've convinced myself it’s ok to give up. Don't take risks. Stick with the status quo, no drama, now is just not the time. But my reasons aren't reasons they're excuses. All I'm doing is hiding from the truth, and the truth is that I'm scared, Stefan. I'm scared that if I let myself be happy for even one moment, that the world's just going to come crashing down and I don't know if I can survive that..." ~Elena The Vampire Diaries
Old 18th October 2010, 01:49

"I am a doughnut".
Old 18th October 2010, 16:59

Mood
Thinking

Anything you do in your life is likely to be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. Ghandi.
Old 18th October 2010, 17:02

Mood
Breezy

'We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.'- Buddha
Old 18th October 2010, 22:57

Mood
Happy

''You can change the world by one selfless act at a time''
Old 19th October 2010, 02:45

Mood
Thinking

All of us, more than we recognise are products of the thinking around us, and much of the thinking is little not big.
Old 19th October 2010, 02:46

Mood
Thinking

No one can ever make you feel inferior without your consent.
Old 19th October 2010, 14:59

"You're gonna meet a lot of shit people in your life, but there is only one thing that matters in people. Sincerity. Go out there and be the best person you can. find out what you want to do and do it, then do it again. If not you never know you might end up like me. You might even end up stopping a stranger in the street and tell them the same thing that I'm telling you now" - Random homeless guy
Old 19th October 2010, 16:49

'Pain and suffering are temporary....but quitting lasts forever.'

Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death.
Old 19th October 2010, 18:15

Mood
Breezy

'It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.' - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 19th October 2010, 20:51

Mood
Breezy

'Boredom is the feeling that everything is a waste of time; serenity, that nothing is.' -Thomas Szasz, author, professor of psychiatry (b. 1920)
Old 19th October 2010, 21:31

Mood
Breezy

'Be not simply good, be good for something.' - Henry David Thoreau
Old 23rd October 2010, 23:42

Mood
Lonely

All you need is love.
John Lennon

simple
Old 24th October 2010, 00:04

Mood
Lonely

More from John Lennon, been listening to his tunes today so yeah seem's like a list here haha...

'Everything is clearer when you're in love.'

'I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now? '

'I don't believe in killing whatever the reason! '

'Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one.'

'Love is the answer, and you know that for sure; Love is a flower, you've got to let it grow.'

'Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it. '

'Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.'

'I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong.'

one more .....

"There are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid, we pull back from life. When we are in love, we open to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement, and acceptance. We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections. If we cannot love ourselves, we cannot fully open to our ability to love others or our potential to create. Evolution and all hopes for a better world rest in the fearlessness and open-hearted vision of people who embrace life."

Old 24th October 2010, 01:04

Mood
Happy

"One must learn by doing the thing, for though you think you know it, you have no certainty until you try" - Sophocles.

"No one can give you wiser advice than yourself" - Cicero
Old 24th October 2010, 01:06

Mood
Happy

"One must learn by doing the thing, for though you think you know it, you have no certainty until you try" - Sophocles.

"No one can give you wiser advice than yourself" - Cicero.