SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 15th May 2006, 00:42

Default GP Alternative

Through previous bad experiences with my GP i am hesitant to go with my SA problems to ask for help, can anyone point to an alternative? It is starting to get difficult to even leave the house
Old 20th June 2006, 19:47

Default Re: GP Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno25
Through previous bad experiences with my GP i am hesitant to go with my SA problems to ask for help, can anyone point to an alternative? It is starting to get difficult to even leave the house
Have you tried self help books? U could also try self-hypnotism
Old 21st June 2006, 14:12

Couldn't you try a different GP Johnno?

Or maybe just ask them to refer you to a counsellor. At least a counsellor will listen and not judge, and try to give you techniques to help deal with SA. I didn't find my doctor particularly helpful, but the counsellor I saw was really understanding.

Don't get housebound, it sucks! Good luck mate.

Old 30th June 2006, 21:48

i'm not over 30 but i get like that going to the Dr's now so if i feel the need i go to the local hospital A+E department and ask to see a shrink, they can get you referd faster than any GP can.
example, i went to the hospital last night ( and this is true), i had a phone call at 4:45pm arranging the appointment!
seriously tho if you get to that point go take a friend or family member and go for it you have nothing to lose, yes you may wait longer but the outcome is so much better.

take care of you , kate
Old 6th July 2006, 17:14

Hi, in my experience it comes down to doing your research before going to the doctor. If you stop leaving the house or putting a visit off you may become depressed. Then, if you do visit your GP they are likely to recommend medication (ie prozac/serotex) for the depression rather than you get an answer for your sa. I saw my GP on Tuesday (hesitantly), three years ago he tried putting me on anti-depressants (which I didn't take) then after a second vist (1yr half ago) recommended a counseller.. i might as well have called The Samaritans. After finding out about sa on the web and going to the SA-UK GIM on saturday I tried the new approach of giving him the facts (ie self diagnosis)- this is what i've got what can you do? He was a totally different doctor!! He knows that I don't want to take medication so that was off the menu but he did recommend a psychiatric nurse. It may take a while but it's worth getting on the list. He's also offered me a refferal to the Maudsley clinic in London. I know it can be hard to make people listen so in this case what i'm saying is get 'tooled up' by doing some homework- print it out and take it there. If he/she can't help you then see another GP. Good Luck!
Closed Thread