SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 30th May 2011, 19:08

Default Any oldies out there that are new to this???

Hi, sorry this is so long, im 59 and had mental health problems most of my life,ive have anxiety, depression,ocd and no self esteem, im also overly sensitive.For years ive had to make mysef go out but lately i feel im too ugly to go out, even to a neighbour that i,ve known for 30 years.My hair is so thin i wear a wig and i just feel old and ugly.I was looking at my problems online and came across "social anxiety" and i instantly thought "thats me.I dont think im as good as other people and get so wound up going to the Dr,s that when i get there i just cry all through it and sometimes write a letter to him as i cant get my words out.I hate speaking on the phone to anyone i feel is better than me, and sometimes with friends or family as i think i may be bothering them.For many years ive been so unsure of myself that i dont go to situations that will make me anxious.Also im very tearfull all the time and get so embarressed when i cry outside.
I know i sound like a miserable "near pensioner" but ive got a good sense of humour when im not feeling unsure of myself (which im afraid does,nt happen so much as it used to).Thanks for reading this and i,d love some help or just someone who understands how i feel,V.
Old 30th May 2011, 19:26

Default Re: Any oldies out there that are new to this???

Hey, 59 isn't old these days. Welcome to the site
Old 30th May 2011, 19:27

Mood
Sluggish

Hi and welcome. I'm not young, put it that way!
Old 30th May 2011, 19:39

Hi 59val
Old 30th May 2011, 19:49

Getting on a bit myself at 46, sometimes I feel much younger and other times much older. I recognise the feeling that others are 'better' and being self-conscious about physical appearance. It's really all about self-confidence, no matter how successful or good-looking or wealthy you are, you won't feel happy about yourself without some self-confidence. Have you considered couselling? - it seems to work for some. For me, feeling accepted on here has been a boost to my self-esteem and it has it encouraged me to get to meets and to meet people individually which further helps.
Old 30th May 2011, 20:10

Hi Simon,Yep ive had plenty of councilling over the years, seen psychiatrists anxiety meetings ocd groups etc but never one for Social anxiety disorder, you never know this might be the one that works, lol, would be nice though.V
Old 30th May 2011, 20:25

Ha! TBH, counselling didn't do much for me either, I only mentioned it because I know it has for others but maybe, as you say, with a different focus you might get something from it. In the meantime, welcome to our world!
Old 30th May 2011, 21:11

Hello and welcome the site
Old 30th May 2011, 21:49

Hello 59val and welcome to the site :-)
Old 31st May 2011, 11:17

Welcome to the site Val. I'm 36 I know a bit younger but not in the first bloom of youth..
Old 31st May 2011, 15:40

Hi V, you don't sound like a miserable "near pensioner", I think there's good and bad things about every stage of life. Just have to focus on the +ve if you can. I'm turning 40 in September
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:26

hi val welcome to the site. it's not your age it's how old you act, I am 54 this year but act about 17, ask my wife lol.
Closed Thread