SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:31

Default Night terrors

I’m having awful dreams at night waking me up in a cold sweat. Has anyone else suffered this? I feel like I’m going mad ! Help
Old Yesterday, 13:02

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Night terrors

some medications / drugs can produce powerful dreams, which can be quite upsetting, even a good while after waking up, but it is still just a dream,

I'm wondering if it's some new medication or some recent change in treatments?

I often get distressed at night and get into an awful panic but it's always a strong feeling that I can't breathe and am about to die,
it seems to upset my partner more than me when it happens,
it's amazing how quickly your body reacts when it senses impending death.
Old Yesterday, 13:10

As I've grown older I don't suffer with them that often maybe only twice in the last 10 years. I think they manifest in a dreamstate that is likely during sleep paralysis. It almost like I am in the presence of something very evil and I want to fight them but cannot move so I'm screaming at them to get away from me and this is what wakes me up but the sound that emanates is more of a demonic sounding constrained howl. Last time it happened I awoke at 2am to hear my next door neighbours clearly exclaim, "what the feck was that!"
Old Yesterday, 13:17

No new medication but recently told I need a blood transfusion so maybe I’m so stressed about that
Old Yesterday, 18:48

Yes, I've had night terrors where I've shot out of bed, bolted out of the room (still asleep) and woken up in the bathroom. Terrifying! The last time it happened I had my bedroom door closed so was woken up by running into the closed door.

It's probably happened two or three times where I've had a nightmare where in the dream, I've have to exit my room e.g. the ceiling caving in.

I don't usually have bad dreams but when I do, I really do haha.
Old Yesterday, 19:33

Used to get sleep paralysis every now and then but haven't had it for some years now after moving to a different house, strangely. It was terrifying - the sense of an evil, malevolant presence in the room just out of sight and you can't speak or move. It's also known as Old Hag Syndrome.
Old Yesterday, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S
Used to get sleep paralysis every now and then but haven't had it for some years now after moving to a different house, strangely. It was terrifying - the sense of an evil, malevolant presence in the room just out of sight and you can't speak or move. It's also known as Old Hag Syndrome.
Perhaps it's just a coincidence but I'm divorced and not sleeping next to the malevolant presence anymore so maybe I'm just too far away on the astral plane for her to exert any evil doing that often.
Old Yesterday, 20:19

^ Could be
Old Yesterday, 21:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylas
As I've grown older I don't suffer with them that often maybe only twice in the last 10 years. I think they manifest in a dreamstate that is likely during sleep paralysis. It almost like I am in the presence of something very evil and I want to fight them but cannot move so I'm screaming at them to get away from me and this is what wakes me up but the sound that emanates is more of a demonic sounding constrained howl. Last time it happened I awoke at 2am to hear my next door neighbours clearly exclaim, "what the feck was that!"
Twice when with my ex I had something very similar where I was trying to drive away some demonic evil presence in a dream state, and was completely physically paralysed, and the only thing I could do to drive it off was to speak back to it in the most evil, demonic voice that must have come out like speaking in tongues and would end up waking us both. Luckily my ex was completely chilled being woken up in the middle of the night to that, especially when I’ve a deep voice at the best of times. Had the roles been reversed I’d have shat myself (or similar)
Old Yesterday, 21:21

I’ve had the same feeling of something or something trying to get me ….like once I actually felt someone trying to pull my hands… I’ve heard this can be quite common as you are coming out of sleep though!
It’s all a bit creepy!
Old Today, 00:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull
Twice when with my ex I had something very similar where I was trying to drive away some demonic evil presence in a dream state, and was completely physically paralysed, and the only thing I could do to drive it off was to speak back to it in the most evil, demonic voice that must have come out like speaking in tongues and would end up waking us both. Luckily my ex was completely chilled being woken up in the middle of the night to that, especially when I’ve a deep voice at the best of times. Had the roles been reversed I’d have shat myself (or similar)
omg! haha, having an understanding partner is preferable, one time I did that Exorcist head spinny thing which left me with a crick in the neck the following morning but did I get any sympathy? pfft!.
Old Today, 02:04

I can't think of any unpleasant dreams I've had lately. And now that I think about it, I can't recall any recent dreams at all. Although that might change if I mixed up my routine a bit. Maybe if I stopped wearing cardigans for example. I'm not sure. But I'm sorry for anyone who experiences night terrors. I do remember a dream where I was falling out of a plane. That wasn't fun! And the time when I thought I'd won the lottery, but the nightmare began when I woke up.

Anyway,
Old Today, 09:35

It’s more than just normal dreams. You literally wake up in terror and it takes a good while to come round and realise that you have been dreaming.