SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th May 2019, 19:57

Mood
Cheerful

Default From Diet To Turning To Junk Food - Struggling!

How do you focus on motivating yourself to stick to a diet especially when you're going through stress. I'm struggling to fight the urges of wanting to turn to junk food as a coping mechanism. So difficult!!
Old 18th May 2019, 20:56

Default Re: From Diet To Turning To Junk Food - Struggling!

My only advice is to take the edge off the hunger pangs by eating an apple or a banana when things get desperate.

And don't have any junk food in the house. Biscuits in the cupboard are an absolute disaster because you can practically hear them calling out to you, even if you're at the end of the garden.
Old 18th May 2019, 21:20

Excellent question. Emotional eating, that's the story of my life!

I've thought of something and I'm going to try that from tomorrow on: do jumping jacks instead of reaching for crisps/chocolate/biscuits/ice-cream.

Good luck to you too. You're right about that, it's very difficult!
Old 18th May 2019, 21:47

It *is* difficult, but you can do it. I've lost a ton of weight over the last 2.5 years. Weight that came on because of medication and which I thought I could never lose.

Copernicium is right, eat anything to satisfy your hunger which is a healthy food. If you must eat sweet stuff, make sure it's zero sugar/sugar subs and/or low fat. And don't have any junk food in the house if at all possible.

I can really recommend Slimming World. My gf has lost heavily on it as well. When you see the results you can achieve, that alone makes you glad you didn't reach for that junk food.
Old 24th May 2019, 06:15

Eat what you want, Count calories. That's what I did and lost 4 stone, Its pretty easy, its all about food volume. Say for instance you have a target of 1500 calories per day, 1 Big Mac Meal from McDonalds would kill the entire food allowance for the day, you'd end up starving. 1500 cals worth of lettuce though you'd never be able to eat, so its all about food volume and what foods will give you the most bang for your bucks
Old 29th May 2019, 11:51

Mood
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave81uk
Eat what you want, Count calories. That's what I did and lost 4 stone, Its pretty easy, its all about food volume. Say for instance you have a target of 1500 calories per day, 1 Big Mac Meal from McDonalds would kill the entire food allowance for the day, you'd end up starving. 1500 cals worth of lettuce though you'd never be able to eat, so its all about food volume and what foods will give you the most bang for your bucks
I agree with this. I use myfitnesspal and food like water biscuits/healthy crackers, low fat yogurt etc have been my saviors over the last year. I don't really have any junk food in the house so if I want a snack its water biscuits or nothing. I wouldn't binge on water biscuits as although I like them they don't trigger my food cravings/binge eating like crisps, Ritz type crackers would , they are a safe food for me.

I also try and keep really busy. Going for walks, cleaning the house, reading a book. I've started cross stitching now and am really enjoying it.
Old 29th May 2019, 13:09

I have been on a high protein/low carb diet for about 3 weeks now. I would say the first 2 weeks have been the most challenging so far. But now that I am on week 3, I no longer have the same cravings to eat junk food. I also found it helpful in the beginning of my diet to replace unhealthy snacks for celery sticks.

As for getting over the initial hurdle of my diet, I***8217;m finding it helpful to keep a food journal. Even detailing the times when I am feeling hungry and then writing down the reasons for wanting to lose weight. That way I am helping to reinforce the positive aspects of my progress.

I'll keep my celery sticks crossed that you are successful on this weight loss journey!
Old 29th May 2019, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess&Junkfood
I have been on a high protein/low carb diet for about 3 weeks now.

Good going!
Old 29th May 2019, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicium

And don't have any junk food in the house.
This is the key. If it 'ain't there you can't eat it. Don't be too hard on yourself. Food is a massive comforter, especially hot, sugary or fatty foods. There's probably some evolutionary reason for this.
Old 29th May 2019, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey123
Good going!
Thank you Limey! I appreciate it
Old 1st June 2019, 21:28

Mood
Bashful

It's ok to have junk food once in a while even if you heavily binge for a day allow yourself to and get back to your plan the day after.