SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 15th February 2009, 21:57

Default "Hello"

Hello all, I'm new here..

Well anyway, I'll jump straight in, I'm 16 years of age (almost 17), on my last couple of months of Secondary School - everyday of which I'm counting down. Why you ask? Well, during my childhood up to about the age of 10 I had a pretty good social experience at school, and with friends, dispite having a slight eye deformaty (squint). Though, under the age of 10, your not necessarily aware of how easy going it is around that age in terms of friends until your a little older, atleast in my case anyway.
Now, secondary school is where it all went downhill. My first day in Year 7 was truely horrifying, not only because I knew absolutely no-one, but because the vast majority of the students knew each other from previous schools and such. To make matters worse, I have a slight squint as previously mentioned, which you tend to notice within 5-10 minutes of seeing me face to face, though in my case, I try not to achieve eye contact with anyone.
So as the days and weeks went on, I was basically flagged as some kind of freak before they even said a word to me. Because of this, I kind of fell behind the times, in terms of personality, friendships and interests and so on. So as far as Year 7-10 went, it was truely hell. Now, not to sound 'big headed', but I would pride myself in being quite mature for my age, in fact, due to home living conditions, I have to be extremely independent, and do quite a bit for myself - including financially. I have however benefited from this, and actually earn a fair bit of money online from work, to custom jobs and such (a bit of a geek). As it came to Year 11, I regretedly used money to "rope in" interest to me as a person, and to this day, has made matters a whole lot worse.

Along with the errors of my ways, due to being very mature for my age (appearance, vocally - people mistaken me for a middle aged man and personality) I never share any of the interests than that of other people, and once again, I'm flagged as being some kind of boring geeky freak with no personality.

I'm sure many people have been in the same boat as me, and I'd love to hear how other people have progressed through it.

That aside, Hello, and I look forward to actively posting.
Old 15th February 2009, 22:24

Mood
Predatory

Default Re: "Hello"

Welcome to sauk
Old 16th February 2009, 01:00

hello!
Old 16th February 2009, 01:03

Mood
Cheerful

Hey welcome to the website i hope you'll find some great friends here and help.
Old 16th February 2009, 01:08

Mood
Apelike

Welcome
Old 16th February 2009, 09:28
mousey

Welcome
Old 16th February 2009, 13:47

Mood
Fine

Hi, yeah high school really does suck, it does get better after you've left all that behind I think. Anyway, hope you find it helpful here.
Old 16th February 2009, 16:09

Mood
Torn

hey there, nice to meet you, i can associate with a lot of what you say - welcome!
Old 17th February 2009, 19:17

Hello TrappedIn and
Sorry school is proving so difficult - secondary school was the worst years of my entire life (so far) - the bad news is that its sooo hard, the good news is that it will never be that bad again.
Old 17th February 2009, 21:37

welcome
Closed Thread