Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 14th June 2011, 23:15

Mood
Mellow

Default low self esteem

How can you get help for low self esteem?
I am a long term unemployed person,
I was looking at a job site on the internet today and i always end up thinking the same things.
why would anyone want to employ someone like me?
They will look at my c.v. and because i haven't got much experience of paid work,they will ask what I've been doing,
and i wont know what to say.

Because of thinking like this i just end up signing on at the jobcentre week after week,and I don't want to keep on like this,i just go through my days with nothing to do and not having anything to do.
Old 14th June 2011, 23:26
Banned (at own request)

Default Re: low self esteem

^

What about volunteer work? Ask where your nearest volunteer bureau is if you can't find it yourself when you next sign on maybe. It also helps to do a course, something that you are interested in which you can be referred to by the job centre but you need to get in quick as the Tories are cutting the funding for these.

Gaps in CV? Well I normally lie a bit and say I was travelling etc but it is harder to say that when you get older. If you really don't have much experience at all then it is best to volunteer as it looks better on your CV that you are doing something and your boss can give you a reference.
Old 15th June 2011, 07:36

Mood
Mellow

Hiya

I have worked most of my adult life but I still have gaps like time out for studying, travelling and last year just time out. You have to make it look like that time was well spent and you learnt stuff.

Like last year I did some volunteering and write a bit about that. I got a lot out of volunteering, especially talking to people as my normal job is office based. A lot of people on here have posted about how much they enjoyed volunteering and I think its a good gentle way to get used to working. And it will make you feel good knowing you are helping others. Try it and I hope it goes well for you.

The most admirable thing is you are not being defeatist and want to do something to change your circumstances. You've already overcome the first major hurdle. Good Luck
Old 15th June 2011, 07:44

Mood
Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thequietone143
How can you get help for low self esteem?
I am a long term unemployed person,
I was looking at a job site on the internet today and i always end up thinking the same things.
why would anyone want to employ someone like me?
They will look at my c.v. and because i haven't got much experience of paid work,they will ask what I've been doing,
and i wont know what to say.

Because of thinking like this i just end up signing on at the jobcentre week after week,and I don't want to keep on like this,i just go through my days with nothing to do and not having anything to do.
Sign up with some recruitment agencies in your area, get on their books. It is their job and in their interests to make you as attractive and 'saleable' (is that a word?) to employers, as that is how they make their money. They will hone your CV with you, to make it look as good as it can.

To date the single most enjoyable job I have had was one I obtained through an agency, it was just a shame that it was only temporary (although I was there 9 months).

Concentrate on your strengths and exagerate them..my first job after college was basically sitting in an office on my own for the large part of the day - answering phones, filing etc. etc. look at my CV and I was the office manager.

You have to seem keen and eager. Your anxiety will not be a problem, be honest about it, and make a big issue out of saying that despite your difficulties you are determined to get out and work! This works, i'm physically disabled myself and a positive attitude goes a long way.

Do not try and lie to cover things up, as you will be found out.
Closed Thread