SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 16th January 2013, 11:25

Default His Masters Voice.......................

..........................R.I.P?

Would you be sad to see HMV disappear?

The way people get their music has changed, but also do you think that music in the last ten years or so has not been very good , so people are not buying it?
Old 16th January 2013, 11:51

Default Re: His Masters Voice.......................

Yeah, would be sad to see it go. Remember buying all my Stone Roses vinyl from there late 80's early 90's....including a yellow vinyl Fools Gold 12"!
Don't think the music has got any worse or even any better, its just gone in a different direction. People are still buying it, just in a different way. MP3s are cheaper, portable, take up less space and they don't get scratched! .....What i like about vinyl and Cd's is that it's more personal, i quite like the fact you have to take it out the sleeve and put it on....and sometimes you get a nice booklet to read with the cd or bit of artwork with the vinyl.
Old 16th January 2013, 12:25

"People are still buying it" Are they though? Music sales have declined every year for the past seven years.
Old 16th January 2013, 20:36

Mood
Lonely

I like browsing HMV and if I really like a band I want the actual CD not just files on a PC. I get special editions with good covers and the lyrics included. Spotify is good for finding new bands to listen to but you can only use it on a PC you can't have the music in your possession

I dislike pop music because its all the same all they sing about is love and the party lifestyle and the music it autotuned and manufactured its all about fashion really. Unoriginal and talantless that's my opinion anyway. People may find it catchy for a while but pop songs and artists don't last long people get sick of them quickly.
Old 16th January 2013, 20:52

Mood
Balanced

I am sad to see HMV go into administration, in the same way I was sad about Woolworths going into administration. That's because they both have a connection to my childhood. They were somewhere where I shopped regularly.

However I haven't been into a HMV store for many years. I, like many others have chosen to 'go digital', because it is quicker, cheaper and you can avoid the crowds. Not because music has lacked in artist merit. Times have changed and I think we will be seeing more of this in the near future. WIFI plugs anyone? And did people stop reading books when they became downloadable? Did book reading decline? Were writers artistically challenged and producing boring books? I don't think so.

Every decade has its good and bad music and this decade is no different. But lets not forget every genre has its own followers, music is a very personal choice.

Digital sales have increased. The masses are moving and everything else will soon be called vintage.
Old 16th January 2013, 21:00

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte.
All these years, and all the years I went into HMV and I never thought or realised what HMV stood for until reading on here
LMFAO!

Didn't realise either until I saw the news yesterday.
Old 16th January 2013, 22:16

Mood
Balanced

Update.........Blockbusters on its way out now!
Old 16th January 2013, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
What does HMV stand for?
His Master's Voice.