SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd January 2020, 11:34

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Type what you're thinking about right now (11)

^ Yes, it's terrible. Atleast now I know to be prepared when the time comes
Old 22nd January 2020, 13:46

^ Some people sail through it apparently, so you never know, you might be one of the lucky ones
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:39

Mood
Cynical

^ Hmm, I'm going to prepare for the worst case scenario I think!
Old 22nd January 2020, 18:42

piss. I just left a baguette in Morrisons.
Old 22nd January 2020, 20:08
Global Moderator

Mood
Tired

I need to stop getting into arguments with people on Facebook.
Old 22nd January 2020, 22:54

berries
Old 23rd January 2020, 03:02

^ Berries sound good Blue bear and now I'm thinking of Blue berries

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1662
I need to stop getting into arguments with people on Facebook.
You and me both

I've been dwelling a lot on an advert that appeared on my Facebook recently...

A local pet shop was advertising kittens.

Personally, I don't believe that a shop is a healthy environment for kittens. If you buy a can of beans on a whim no harm done, but kittens? The rescue centres are full of unwanted cats that people grew tired of. The advert upset me and perhaps unwisely I left ONE relatively polite comment saying that if kittens hadn't yet been banned from being sold in pet shops (like puppies now have) then they certainly should be. Just one other person (a lot more outspoken than me but who I completely agreed with) commented that it was disgraceful to breed and sell kittens when there are rescue centres up and down the country full of abandoned cats and kittens desperately needing a home.

No surprise, the shop owner took great umbrage and quoted the riot act about being fully licensed to sell kittens. She added that the welfare of the animals was of paramount importance to her and that her little shop of kittens brought joy to the whole community. Consequently, LOADS of people (one or two that have been past acquaintances of mine because the shop is local) reacted by sending supportive messages to the owner saying how much their children, some with special needs, love visiting the shop to pet the kittens and how the owner should ignore 'nasty keyboard warriors' who want to spoil things for everyone else.
Other people commented that they had been rejected by rescue centres as potential adoptees because they lived on busy roads and how the pet shop meant that they could finally have a cat.

All of this made me question whether I was an utterly horrible person and I got very close to writing a grovelling apology to the shop owner ACCEPT in my heart of hearts I still believe it's wrong to be breeding and selling kittens from a shop. In my childhood this sort of thing was common but I'd hoped we had moved on from treating animals as money making commodities. I feel strongly that someone has to speak up for the animals but on the other hand as my one comment wasn't anonymous I've been fretting about coming across as a horrid person to certain acquaintances for expressing an opinion that was clearly different to the majority who enjoy visiting the pet shop.

Incidentally, the shop also sells albino hedgehogs which I've read on the internet can be very difficult pets to look after. Although they are expensive they are often bought on a whim (like the pedigree kittens) and then casually abandoned at a later date when they become too much of a handful. Animals deserve better surely.

I really don't think it's good for me to be as opinionated as I am when I have such a thin sensitive skin
Old 23rd January 2020, 06:09

^ One of the many reasons everyone should delete their Facebook accounts.
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:42
Co-Administrator

^ Absolutely.

I completely agree with you Consolida on your opinion regarding the selling of kittens and other animals. Unfortunately, regardless of your opinion, if you express it on social media, there will always be a whole host of people with the opposite opinion who are not shy about expressing it either.
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:37

^ I think some of the people on social media have made me feel even less inclined to interact with others. It's certainly not the healthiest place for sensitive SA folk to hang out, although I have yet to discover where is
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:45

Mood
Cynical

^ I totally agree with you too, unless the shop owner is doing home visits before the customers are allowed to take a kitten home who knows what kind of conditions they could end up in, or they'll just end up back in rescue centres because the people realise they can't care for them. (I also agree about the hedgehogs) If local children want to see kittens or animals their parents should take them to a rescue centre or a farm park. I seriously think pet shops shouldn't sell pets at all anymore of any kind. Like you say, animals are not objects.

My view is also that if you're polite and not aggressive or hurtful at all it's fine to express your opinion. People can disagree with you if they want to, that's their right too, but it doesn't mean you were wrong or that you shouldn't hold your view either! (I've had to grow a thicker skin over time to be able to comment on things on Facebook )
Old 24th January 2020, 01:38

^/^^ I'm so glad that I'm not alone in thinking that it is wrong to be selling kittens and hedgehogs in a shop x

I've been looking at their Facebook site again and can see that there is a section that asks if you would recommend the shop, yes or no, and to leave a review. Totally pointless of course because the owner removes any comment that isn't waxing lyrical about her wonderful little pet shop of kittens and hedgehogs (a hedgehog costs about £160 apparently)

Nanuq, I was surprised that it was still okay to sell kittens too. I know larger stores still sell rabbits, rats, gerbils and the like, but I hadn't seen kittens in pet shops for years and had thought and hoped it was a thing of the past. I mean a cat can be a 15 - 20 year commitment so not a pet to buy on a whim.

I read that about April time a law will be passed that bans kittens from being sold in pet shops UNLESS the owner has bred the kittens themselves. Therefore as this woman is the breeder she can continue to carry on churning out kittens to her hearts content.

I'll shut up about it now as the whole thing makes me feel a bit sad
Old 24th January 2020, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq

Where do you live? 1975???
Hey! I was born in that year!
Old 24th January 2020, 21:16

My life isn’t so bad these days so I don’t like to get too negative but for all the progress I’ve made in some areas I’ve been stuck in barely more than minimum wage jobs for my entire adult life and don’t really know if there’s a way forward for me. I’ve dealt with people who I felt I was on a level with in terms common sense and work ethic (and a fair few lazy people with no common sense) who had somehow managed to get and pass an interview to get ahead while I’m lucky to get a ‘thanks but no thanks’ email for any job I apply for.

In the past it was all about pride. I wanted to have a respectable answer to give whenever anyone asks ‘What do you do?’ but I’ve let go of that nonsense, these days it’s all about money (and the back injury I’m likely to give myself if I’m still doing manual labour 10 years from now).
Old 25th January 2020, 04:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
Twitters popularity has been taking a dive for the past 6 months. Facebook stats also took a temp dive, altho their stats have gone back up, I'm wondering how many other non-facebook services use their domain (like portal)

I dunno. maybe people are realising it becomes extremely tedious just arguing about things....
Old 25th January 2020, 06:48

Angry Re: Type what you're thinking about right now (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbander
Twitters popularity has been taking a dive for the past 6 months. Facebook stats also took a temp dive, altho their stats have gone back up, I'm wondering how many other non-facebook services use their domain (like portal)

I dunno. maybe people are realising it becomes extremely tedious just arguing about things....
Maybe Twitter use went down last year after they started suspending accounts more frequently.

People who don't want to delete their Facebook accounts often say "It's the only way I can stay in touch with my family!" but people kept in touch with their families before Facebook existed, probably even more so. It seems more to do with enjoying being nosy at what people on there are posting (even though it often makes them feel bad about themselves). Why would anyone want to see the holiday photos of someone they went to primary school with?

I've never heard anyone saying they enjoy Facebook, only that they hate it... yet they never do anything about it. Happy to just scroll through an endless feed of **** every day.
Old 25th January 2020, 10:58

Mood
Cynical

^ I don't really engage with the posting every life event stuff on Facebook, I don't even have my picture up, but I am in a few Facebook groups for things which I find really interesting. And ofcourse there's the politics which I like to know about! I'm not on twitter though, I know I would get myself into trouble on there.
Old 25th January 2020, 12:05

re Jen ,it's easy to open a twitter account...there are loads of accounts with single-number followers (eg, new accounts). I've never had a twitter acct suspended. I've had FB accounts suspended for "not using my real details" (ie, Zucks doesn't have accurate info to sell). I think there are other reasons for twitter diving...

Dougella, FB wants to know it's you (verify identity). twitter doesn't "confirm your identity", so if you want one account for flower arranging, or politix, and another account for machine gun monthly magazine, you can

will check that later herman
Old 25th January 2020, 19:35
Global Moderator

Mood
Tired

It's all a load of bollocks really.
Old 25th January 2020, 22:56

Saturday nights are so depressing, doesn't matter what I do.
Old 25th January 2020, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1662
It's all a load of bollocks really.
+1
Old 26th January 2020, 12:27

Quote:
If only it was that simple though

It's true that seeing extrovert Facebook 'friends' living their socially active non SA lives can leave me feeling like a depressed loser when I invariably start to compare my hermit like existence to theirs BUT, I've found support on Facebook too. Not through my 'friends' (apart from one or two who also happen to suffer with SA) but through various Facebook groups. Until I read other women's comments where they suffer with identical physical symptoms to me I feared I had some serious illness. Another Facebook Art group cheers my day up.

Also, if I deleted Facebook I'd lose the only tiny amount of contact I have with my birth half sister who I didn't know existed until a couple of years ago. Also a half brother who doesn't even know I exist and I haven't had the courage to contact but maybe someday.

I think a lot of people have a love - hate relationship with Facebook and other types of social media too but once the genie is out of the bottle it's hard to shut the lid again

Anyway....

I've been thinking about a recent appointment...

I went to see my shrink on Friday.
After 15 minutes of small talk (Did you have a nice holiday last year, what's your son studying at college etc) I was more forceful than usual because I was all too aware that my 30 minute appointment was ticking away and interrupted "Can we talk about ME now please?" I felt kind of rude doing this but this was a private appointment and every second costs.

I told him how physically rubbish I've been feeling lately and he insisted that I was suffering with Depression. He said I should try E citalopram that he had obviously forgotten I'd tried months ago but stopped taking because it was causing me to suffer with suicidal ideation. I said I wasn't actually Depressed (I know what Depression feels like!) but peri-menopausal. He sounded genuinely shocked that his client of so many years was middle aged and reminisced, like he always does, about the first time I started seeing him at the age of 21. He chuckles and says I'm more like a daughter than a client. He also chuckled that he chose to deal with peoples heads because the other end is 'too messy' and advised me to see a private Gynaecologist. I said I can't afford to do that, but not having a bottomless pit of money appears to be an alien concept to him. The appointment ends with him writing out a prescription for Lorazepam, something he's been doing for over 20 years. I'm trying to wean myself off the mother*******, before he retires or dies, but it's incredibly hard. A nightmare in fact. Perhaps I'll die first - problem solved!! :

He will send me the £180 bill in the next day or two (because that's what father type figures do isn't it )
Old 26th January 2020, 12:50

^
I've had that too, especially after taking a break for a while. I tried to make a joke of it after it happened a couple of times just so it didn't feel too awkward forcefully changing the subject, although it was still annoying. I'm not paying her a pound a minute to ask about my holiday.
Old 26th January 2020, 12:53
Co-Administrator

I think with regards to Facebook, if you're going to use it (and I don't mean you Consolida specifically) it is worth taking the time to filter what you see and what fills your newsfeed. Do not follow or like groups or be 'friends' with people who you know will post stuff which could cause anxiety, distress, etc.
Old 26th January 2020, 13:02

Mood
Cynical

^^^ And you are paying to see this guy?! Might be time to seek a second opinion, he doesn't sound like he's actually being very helpful to you.
Old 26th January 2020, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Huntsbach
My life isn’t so bad these days so I don’t like to get too negative but for all the progress I’ve made in some areas I’ve been stuck in barely more than minimum wage jobs for my entire adult life and don’t really know if there’s a way forward for me. I’ve dealt with people who I felt I was on a level with in terms common sense and work ethic (and a fair few lazy people with no common sense) who had somehow managed to get and pass an interview to get ahead while I’m lucky to get a ‘thanks but no thanks’ email for any job I apply for.

In the past it was all about pride. I wanted to have a respectable answer to give whenever anyone asks ‘What do you do?’ but I’ve let go of that nonsense, these days it’s all about money (and the back injury I’m likely to give myself if I’m still doing manual labour 10 years from now).
Can identify with a lot of this! I actually did get an injury from too much manual labour. I'm just too old for badly paid, intensive stuff done full time. It was a real wake-up call!
Old 27th January 2020, 19:44

Old 27th January 2020, 19:47

Why every recipe that includes ginger requires a "thumb-sized amount", never half a thumb or two thumbs.
Old 27th January 2020, 19:59

^ I put two thumbs in anyway
Old 27th January 2020, 23:00

Quote:
Why every recipe that includes ginger requires a "thumb-sized amount", never half a thumb or two thumbs.
I love ginger so I always disregard how much the recipe says and just use as much as I think I can get away with.