SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 6th August 2008, 14:30

Mood
Brooding

Default Low opinion of myself

This is going to sound incredibly self-absorbed but here goes (...yes, it's another post about me...)

One of my best friends at work is leaving soon to have a baby and I'm really happy and pleased for her – she deserves it so much. She's really bubbly and outgoing and everyone gets on well with her and we always have a laugh – I'm going to miss her a lot when she goes.

The thing is this (and it's really selfish in a way)... I was looking at what other colleagues have written in her leaving card and there were some really sweet and lovely messages. I wrote a bloody long message and wanted to express how happy I was and how much I'll miss her etc and everyone else seem to have the same sentiment in their messages too.

This is going to sound really silly, but I couldn't help thinking whether people would write such stuff about me if I ever left – cos I honestly don't think they would. A couple might write nice things but mostly it would be 'Have a good time' or something. It sounds pathetic when I write this down, but it's kind of confirmed that others probably don't think that much of me – especially as my neigbours had another barbecue last weekend and I wasn't invited. Again.

Sorry for the self-pitying rant – I'm in a crappy mood today. I'm not after any sympathy – just a place to rant. :rolleyes:
Old 6th August 2008, 17:03

Default Re: Low opinion of myself

Aw NikNox, those neighbours really get to you don't they!!
It doesn't sound pathetic at all what you wrote. It sounds like just the sort of thing I have found myself thinking at times.
The people at work may not write similar messages in your card if you left but that's not because you're worth any less than anyone else (although I know it may feel that way.) Not everyone can be the bubbly happy person, but it doesn't mean you're any less valued if you're not that person. The people at work probably don't know you as well as they know your friend and that might be to do with your SA getting in the way!! I think I really know where your coming from with the way you feel here, it's the sort of paranoid and inadequate feeling I've felt many a time. Please don't beat yourself up for it. What you have to remember is that it is just that - how you feel, it doesn't mean that you are any less of a person than anyone else just because you feel that you are (if you see what I mean!!?)
Think about your feelings, are you in control of them or is it more the case that they contol you? I have in the past been really critical of myself for feeling the way I do, which makes me feel even worse. And it's really ok to write posts about yourself on here, that's what it's here for.
It sounds like you're trying to guess at what people think of you from limited information - which is exactly what I've done in the past. You really can't be sure that it's the case that people in general don't think much of you - it's highly unlikely that it is. And please try not to see of what I've written as criticism of you, it's honestly honestly not!!
I hope it helps a little bit. (I think I can see myself in your place and I've moved on from there a bit I just wish I could explain how!!) Feel free to pm me.
Likeme
Old 6th August 2008, 17:12

Default Re: Low opinion of myself

I reckon they would, people seem to put all sorts of pleasantries in leaving cards. If she really had a lot of it, maybe she's really friendly with everyone. Not everyone is realistically like that perhaps.
Closed Thread