SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th June 2019, 13:42

Default A Novel

How many novels have you read featuring a character with social anxiety?

In CULTIVATING A FUJI, launched four weeks ago, the main character, Martin, struggles with it all his life. I'm delighted this novel is getting noticed. It was after being on this forum for several years that I became passionate about raising awareness of social anxiety.

Here are a few of the comments:
  • This is a very moving story.
  • Yes there's humour, but I found this to be a sad, poignant and thought provoking tale.
  • This is a book that is guaranteed to stay with you long after you read it, it is a book that really makes you think with a few surprises along the way.
  • Drori tells a story that can only come from a place of empathy and recognition. It says: "I know you. I see you. I hear you. I understand you."
  • Cultivating a Fuji is a very touching story about how hard it can be to fit in the crowd.
  • What a beautiful book! This is a novel I will reflect on time and time again.
  • Where the Curious Incident with The Dog in the Night-time is a beautiful novel explaining autism, this, for me, is the work to explain social anxiety.
  • It was impossible not to be gripped by Martin's journey, which begins with a business trip to Japan.
  • Miriam Drori has sensitively exposed the reality of living with social anxiety and the impact it has on all involved while creating a character I love in an uplifting, memorable novel.

You can find it on Amazon as kindle or paperback. Here's the link to the UK site: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cultivating...dp/1094806749/.

I also wrote a non-fiction book about social anxiety, and that, too has received some great reviews: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Social-Anxi...dp/1974208540/.
Old 14th June 2019, 09:28

Default Re: A Novel

I've just ordered a copy of 'Cultivating A Fuji'
I'm very much looking forward to reading it
Old 16th June 2019, 09:50

Thanks, Consolida. I hope you enjoy it.
Old 17th June 2019, 01:21

^ It arrived a couple of days ago and I'm saving it to read while I'm away on holiday
Old 17th June 2019, 06:51

Old 17th June 2019, 09:31

I ordered her two books. Might help. Thanks for mentioning.
Old 17th June 2019, 22:08

Is it well written? I'm a dreadful snob about things like that.
Old 19th June 2019, 16:09

I couldn't possibly answer that myself, choirgirl, but I can quote from a review (http://www.booksarecool.com/2019/cul...iam-rewarding/):
Quote:
This is a very cleverly constructed novel and beautifully written. There’s no preaching or wallowing. The author presents the issue of social anxiety and gives us a view from both sides: from those who experience it and those who feel that it’s OK to put others down and induce such misery. There’s hope and despair, love and disappointment, achievement and failure, happiness and missed opportunities in this richly textured book that’s rewarding and poignantly enjoyable to read.
Thank you, Mole58.
Old 2nd July 2019, 00:53

I've recently finished reading this beautifully written and touching novel and can highly recommend it.

I think you have done a fantastic job in raising awareness about social anxiety and the struggles of living with the condition

I wish you continued success Chach

P.S. I'm rubbish at writing book reviews but I have left one on Amazon.
Old 1st August 2019, 10:06

Thank you, Consolida! I'm so glad you liked my novel.

I don't know which review is yours, but there's no such thing as a rubbishly-written book review. Authors appreciate every positive review - the more the better. It doesn't matter how long (or short) they are. The fact that a reader has bothered to record an opinion is really important. Thank you so much for your review.
Old 1st August 2019, 16:56

As I may have said before, I can't rate your book 'Cultivating a Fugi' highly enough, Chach. It was a great read

Btw, my review on Amazon was by a 'random reader'

Do you have plans to write anymore novels? I hope so
Old 1st August 2019, 20:01

In that case, Consolida, your review is excellent. If you think it isn't, that's due to a lack of self-esteem - something we probably all struggle with.

My current plans are to work on my first novel, which has now left my publisher, before searching for a new home for it. I'm also working with another author to complete an unfinished trilogy. I definitely want to write more novels, but I probably wouldn't choose to have another main character with social anxiety.