SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 17th July 2005, 00:14

Mood
Torn

Default Re: The Key/The Secret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat
pboy - I was referring more to the sorts of people trying to sell you cures and stuff on the internet, I guess. It wasn't a knock at this board which I too have found immensely helpful! That's why I keep coming back! I
Thats ok...I largey agree I dont like the ideas of 'one cure' and all that. I think its best for people to pick up tips and use what works for them and be their own boss. My therapist says a lot of things you have mentioned on here and it helps me more than, for example, seeing some shrink who says "this is what is wrong with you - do this and do this and you will get better".
Old 17th July 2005, 00:40

SA'ers shouldn't think in terms of cures anyway - its all about small steps.

The key/secret is really taking the brave step to help yourself - rather than wait for someone with a magic wand. It has to come from within them, but I think that is the step that most SA'ers need support and encouragement to take. Once someone is able to start challenging SA, then yes, they can find their own way from then on - with support and encouragement.

SA is extremely personal so there is no single strategy to deal with it, its about working out what you need to challenge. However, the are general techniques you can use, and people will generally pick and mix those they feel are appropriate.

Its like someone who can't swim - they probably have the physical ability to swim, but they will struggle to learn by themselves because they don't know how to swim. What they need is someone to say, try this - which might make all the difference.
Old 17th July 2005, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB72
SA'ers shouldn't think in terms of cures anyway - its all about small steps.
Yes small steps, which seem so big to us. A bit more each day until you can look back and see the difference.
We all have the ability to swim, it just takes a long time to learn.
Old 18th July 2005, 09:25

Mood
Inspired

I love the swimming analogy .
"avoidance " is always paddling in the shallow end .
"Over exposure" is doing nothing for ages. getting frustrated and then suddenly jumping in the deep end scaring your self back to square one.
succes comes from a few minutes /hours a day just a little out of your depth .
Closed Thread