SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 10th December 2006, 22:09

Default Relaxation/Meditation techniques

Do you often practice relaxation?

I've never done it before and I'm totally clueless about how to do proceed.

Do you have a particular/favourite technique, good set of instructions or description of how practice relaxation (position, actions, thoughts...)?

I'm looking for something simple but preferably explained in non-hippy terms.
Old 10th December 2006, 22:23

Default Re: Relaxation/Meditation techniques

I don't practice regularly due to poor discipline but I have practiced Buddhist mindfulness meditation. it's one of the simplest techniques around. You just sit, crossed legged or on a cushion or stool and follow your breath in and out. When your thoughts wander, as they invariably will, don't hold on to them or follow them just bring your focus back to your breath. A good little book is called The Meditation Bible. There are any number of meditations from all traditions across the globe. You're bound to find something that works for you there.
If you want to talk more about meditation/relaxation please feel free to email me. sorormystica2002@hotmail.com
Old 11th December 2006, 00:12

Mood
Inspired

Hi Ariadne, Im doing a hypnotherapy course and we often practise relaxation techniques through visualisation. Its a good way to unwind and if you can tape yourself then you have your own self hypnosis tool. You can find free scripts for relaxation to download or print online too.
Old 11th December 2006, 21:52

Thank you for your replies!

The one I've tried is based on breathing. I'm an incorrigible daydreamer and I found my few attempts very hard; impossible to prevent my mind from taking off in a random direction and floating aimlessly for miles and miles.

Did you also find it hard in the beginning?

And have you observed any noticeable benefits in your every day life (reducing stress, obsessive/negative thoughts or poor concentration...)?
Old 11th December 2006, 22:45

I did a practical type of mediation with my therapist. I've been meaning to get the cd off her for ages. You start with simple props such a raisin in order to focus your mind away from distractions such as pain, anxiety, etc.

Also recommend Jacobson Progressive Muscular Technique, which I’m told is based on yoga.
Old 12th December 2006, 12:00

This could be helpful.

http://www.healthyplace.com/Communit...techniques.htm
Old 12th December 2006, 12:16

I don't think or feel. If you want to relax, disassemble thought. Works for me.
Old 12th December 2006, 12:25

I have always found guided meditation doesnt work for me when I try it alone (say with a CD or thinking about it). I prefer to play a relaxing meditaion type music cd and just lay down and work on leting go letting the music relax me more than anything.
Old 12th December 2006, 12:38

I use(or rather should be) Progressive Muscle Relaxation(tense/release), all the others autogenics, hynosis and visualizations are too close to daydreaming which i do a lot of. It's easier with an old audiotape i got from the hospital, need to look for equivalent cd though.

http://www.stress-relief-exercises.c...elaxation.html

and more detailed:

http://www.hypnos.co.uk/hypnomag/jacobson.htm
Old 14th December 2006, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne
I'm an incorrigible daydreamer and I found my few attempts very hard; impossible to prevent my mind from taking off in a random direction and floating aimlessly for miles and miles.
The mind wandering off is normal, it happens to everyone while meditating. Your concentration, or attention, should improve with practice. Think of it like a muscle – the more you exercise your attention the stronger it becomes.

In most kinds of meditation you treat the thoughts that come up while you’re meditating as distractions, but in mindfulness you can make those distractions the focus of your meditation. The key thing is to always bring yourself back to your anchor, such as your breathing, without being judgmental about your thoughts. In this way you become an observer of your thoughts, rather than getting caught up in those thoughts.

A growing number of cognitive therapists are now incorporating mindfulness into their therapy as a tool for reducing the effects of negative and irrational thinking. When you bring mindfulness into your everyday life, negative and anxious thoughts are recognised more easily for what they are – just thoughts – and may therefore have less influence on how you’re feeling.

Anyway, that’s the theory…
Old 14th December 2006, 19:13

have some mindefulness meditation cds from my shrink

not listenen to them yet. Unfortunately I cant get the beginer ones for a week

they are stretch & breath and mindful yoga

pm me if you want
Old 16th December 2006, 17:08

Mood
Sad

I am currently trying self hypnosis (well, not at this exact moment, lol!), and this seems quite helpful to me. I have managed to decrease my anxiety in certain situations to almost zero, although i still have a looong way to go to being free of SA. I also find this is a good practice if you want to feel good and positive about yourself, especially after a bad day.

I found this website helpful: http://www.bcx.net/hypnosis/induct.htm
Old 18th December 2006, 09:55

Most if not all self-help books have a relaxation guide in them that you can follow.

Also, you can type in a search of 'relaxation' on the net and get some great tapes/books etc to help you.

Progressive Muscular Relaxation is quite effective for SA and I have also found a thing called Hypnoanalysis really effective.

Hope this helps
Closed Thread