SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 18th July 2005, 11:20

Default A question for you walkers

We all know, there is a different law in the countryside where people are actually friendly and say hello to you. Does this create anxiety for anyone? You see people coming in the distance and you think 'should i say hello, should i not say hello, should i look at them, should i not look at them'. I always feel I should have done the opposite to what I have done, and if i do say anything, it comes out in a really low squeaky voice, and that is embarrassing!!!!!

Can anyone relate?
Old 18th July 2005, 11:44
Intro Guy

Default Re: A question for you walkers

Oh god yes! I do a lot of walking and when I see people approaching in the distance I never know what to do.
Sometimes I will change direction to avoid them, but if I can't I either cringe and say hello, which as you say usually comes out in a squeaky weak voice, or I avoid eye contact and keep my head down, which obviously comes across as rude.

The problem is that sometimes I have forced myself to say hello and I have been totally ignored, which makes you look stupid, so there's always that dilemma going on in my head of whether to speak or not.
Old 18th July 2005, 11:52

Mood
Tired

Yes, it's a tricky one and my reaction varies. If it's an older person, I can usually say Good "Morning" or "Evening" to them OK but with people around my age group, I can;t although to be honest, I rarely see anyone of my age group walking in the country anyway.
Old 18th July 2005, 11:58

I can completely relate, Sevlow.

I live in the Peak District and go walking most days. I tend to choose the times and places where there are fewest people. I can normally muster some sort of greeting but if the say anything else, e.g. ask for directions, say something about the weather, I just mumble then run away. But I’m getting better at not avoiding eye contact.

What I really can’t stand is walking past huge groups of people. I still try and avoid them if at all possible. I don’t know why they do it. The countryside is all about getting away from crowds of people. If it’s crowds of people you want go to the city.

I used to hate my voice too but I’ve worked on it recently. I talked about this in other thread.
Old 18th July 2005, 12:04
kp85

I find myself having similar problems just in everyday life. For example, I'll be walking down the sidewalk and someone will be coming from the opposite direction, and I'll just basically keep my head down or my eyes focuses in the distance ahead of me, because for some dumb reason its like my mind freezes up at that moment. Don't know how to explain it. When strangers give a courtical hello to me I often feel too that my response comes out sounding stupid, like squeaky as you put it. Or Ill be taken by surprise by someone saying hi and just freeze up and not respond instead of my mind being able to process what just happened right away so that I can say hi back. If that makes any sense lol....
Old 18th July 2005, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBailey
What I really can’t stand is walking past huge groups of people. I still try and avoid them if at all possible. I don’t know why they do it. The countryside is all about getting away from crowds of people. If it’s crowds of people you want go to the city.
Yeah I know what you mean, especially in the peak district on a weekend or bank holiday. I think everyone has the same idea of getting away from the hustle and bustle by going to the countryside, only to realise when they get there that the whole world has had the same idea.
Old 18th July 2005, 12:10

Mood
Inspired

I think if its two or three people its usual to at least nod or say "hi" or " morning".Not go by as though you don't see them.
If they don't answer any external judge would say they looked sillier , not you!

I think you could ignore a large group .Theyre sort of wrapped up in themselves.and will ignore you.
Though i think a none Saer might say a bold "hello" to the leader which would cause the rest of the group to nod or smile at you as they pass. Or a few quiet members would say nothing.
Old 18th July 2005, 12:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevlow
We all know, there is a different law in the countryside where people are actually friendly and say hello to you. Does this create anxiety for anyone? You see people coming in the distance and you think 'should i say hello, should i not say hello, should i look at them, should i not look at them'. I always feel I should have done the opposite to what I have done, and if i do say anything, it comes out in a really low squeaky voice, and that is embarrassing!!!!!

Can anyone relate?
I always make the effort to say good morning/afternoon, or hello - and thats usually all you get in return. Usually you have time to prepare yourself, take a deep breath, and when the get withing a few feet just look between their eyes (easier than looking into their eyes) and speak loudly/clearly. Some people just nod in return, and a few won't even respond - a few could even try to chat. Once they have past, stop thinking about them - don't start to analyse what they may of thought of you, but if you felt you could of done better than tell yourself "next time I won't do that, I'll make an effort to do it properly" and leave it at that.

The last walk I had I managed to get some bass into my voice, and sounded more like a man - so I felt better for working on it.

Once you do it a few times, it becomes easier - and will help when you need to say hello to someone socially.
Old 18th July 2005, 14:04

I always make a point of acknowledging other people when out walking/running/cycling in the forest. Still have that sense of anxiety even if i spot another human a mile off, but people are generally much friendlier out of their own enviroment.

Exceptions being some of the tourists - English city dwellers, and twitchers(bird-spotters) they're a strange lot! Foriegners are ok and often ask for directions, locals in mid-winter are the friendliest.

Large groups of ramblers can be awkward as you keep having to repeat yourself and nodding like a donkey as you pass them.
Old 18th July 2005, 14:10

Mood
Torn

Oooh I thought this thread title said something else for a moment then Sorry just had to say. Thought it was a kevcantona thread or something
Old 18th July 2005, 14:42

Mood
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboy
Oooh I thought this thread title said something else for a moment then Sorry just had to say. Thought it was a kevcantona thread or something
I thought it was for people that worked in call centres (especially Orange)....then I noticed it was an "L".
Closed Thread