SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd January 2020, 16:07

Mood
Insomnious

Default Gig dilemma

Hi all. There's a gig I really want to go to in April. However I'm not sure who to invite to it. My wife doesn't want to go as she hates the music. I have old friends who I used to go out with but the problem is that I haven't made any new friends since that era. I know they've all moved on and made new friends but I haven't. It feels a bit weird asking them only because I don't see them much anymore. What can I do??
Old 22nd January 2020, 16:41

Default Re: Gig dilemma

Yeah, just go by yourself. Loads of people do. Nobody notices or cares. I do it quite often.
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:43

Mood
Insomnious

Guess I could go by myself. Never done it before.
Old 22nd January 2020, 21:18

I saw a very famous, veteran UK metal act in the US a few years back. Went on my own. It was a large venue and I'd never been there before. I felt a bit anxious as I was going in. I probably looked it too, as I got some negative comments from some of the other punters.

But I soon forgot about this as the concert went on. It was a great time and I'm very glad I saw that band, and had that experience, even if I did go on my own.

F**k the naysayers!! Do it!!
Old 23rd January 2020, 06:33

Mood
Tired

I used to go to gigs on my own for years,
it was fine and never got any negative comments,
I regularly saw lots of other people who'd gone on their own too,

If you've bought another ticket you could post it up on here,
I'm sure there used to be a 'come to a gig' thread in the meets section.
Old 1st February 2020, 20:43

What’s the gig Wvm?
Old 1st February 2020, 23:19

^ Ah, King Adora and JJ72, it's like I'm a teenager again. Great times. Well, not really, but they were certainly times.

As others have said, no one notices if you're on your own at a gig. They'll be too focused on their mates or partners, going back and forth for drinks, the bands, etc. Someone sat/stood on their own will be one of the least interesting things for them to focus on.
Old 2nd February 2020, 18:02

Mood
Insomnious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull
What’s the gig Wvm?
It's actually more of a rave I guess, it's a Gatecrasher event in Cardiff. Ended up asking a couple of my old friends on Facebook if they fancied it. Now there's possibly 7 of going!

I also went to another gig last week with my cousin who had bought 2 tickets but didn't have anyone to go with, that was a blast. Megadeth and Five Finger Death Punch.
My anxiety was through the roof at the start and I ended up drinking way too much alcohol.

I wouldn't mind going on my own, think I'd have a lot less anxiety.
Old 5th February 2020, 01:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitevanman
It's actually more of a rave I guess, it's a Gatecrasher event in Cardiff.
This is going to sound completely nuts, but back in the days of the original Cardiff rave scene you weren't someone known as Badger by any chance, house shared with Chris R?
Old 5th February 2020, 15:22

Quote:
This is going to sound completely nuts, but back in the days of the original Cardiff rave scene you weren't someone known as Badger by any chance, house shared with Chris R?
Old 6th February 2020, 22:54

Does your wife know how much you'd like to go? I do lots of things that I wouldn't choose to do on my own but I do it for my girlfriend. And I can either surprisingly enjoy it, or find other things that I enjoy from it. I might not enjoy the music, but I might enjoy a meal before at a restaurant or having a drink in the venue.

But most importantly, I want to go as my girlfriend does and I want her to enjoy it. It's all about balance and about give and take. I'm sure this is obvious but on the off chance you haven't thought about this, and not asked her because you're assuming she'll say no, there might be a good chance for you two to enjoy a night out together in April.
Old 8th February 2020, 15:29

Mood
Insomnious

Quote:
No I'm not badger! Although I did go out in Cardiff during the 90s.